“Excellent Location For Westside L.A.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Gateway Hotel Santa Monica

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Gateway Hotel Santa Monica to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Gateway Hotel Santa Monica
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1920 Santa Monica Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90404-1909   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #19 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
A TripAdvisor Member
“Excellent Location For Westside L.A.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We came up from Irvine, CA (53 miles) to visit friends for one night. This hotel is very central to everything you need to see on the Westside of L.A. It is near Brentwood, Westwood, Santa Monica, 3rd Street Promenade and the beaches. We like to hike/walk and workout a lot so being 2 miles from all these places was very convenient. It was not necessary to drive. We just parked our car at the hotel (quite a tight underground fit!) and avoided the hassles and expense of driving. WiFi worked super. Fridge was super-cold. Beds were very comfortable. We especially liked that we could open our window and let in the cool marine/ocean air at night. Hotel staff was very friendly and eager to provide service and information. The gym needs a refurbishing of equipment as some machines (e.g. universal) are old and difficult to figure out how to operate. Be sure to eat at The Bistro at 2301 Santa Monica Blvd (3 blocks walk). Excellent food and ambience and they have live piano music 7 days per week. Overall, this hotel visit was a very good experience and location for us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Santa Monica for two nights prior to our Mexican Riviera cruise. The location is great. The bus stops out in front and costs $1. You can take the bus to both Venice Beach or the Santa Monica Pier. We checked out both areas using the bus. Also check out the 3rd Street Promenade which is just a short walk from the Santa Monica beach area. There are street entertainers, shops and lots of restaurants. The hotel was very clean and our rate was $134 per night. When you check in they give you a discount coupon for the IHOP next door. We ate there and it was delicious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were really nice ! The area was ok but considering the price it was a total bargin! It was only 14 minutes away from LAX and 9 minutes from Hermosa beach was really cool ! We went on Labor Day and they had a street fair and a lot of pubs that had the game on ! There was live music and the crowd was very calm ! I enjoyed my entire experience ! I would use this hotel again definately !

• Stayed September 2012
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have had some bad experiences with Best Westerns and was nervous about this stay. A friend in town whom I was visiting said she'd had others stay here with good results. I took the chance and hoped for the best.

I'm SUPER picky about cleanliness. I do a sweep of my hotel rooms to be clean and bed-bug free before I'll set my luggage down and settle in. This room passed with flying colors! The bed was comfortable, the shower had decent pressure, the workers were very friendly- it was the kind of room I always hope to get but so rarely do.

The A.C. did start making some noise in the middle of the night- a downfall of the old wall AC units. I ended up turning it off in the middle of the night and slept above the covers- still feeling fairly comfortable. It was probably something that could have been easily fixed if I had caught it in the middle of the day instead of the middle of the night. Hopefully the next guest in that room will remember to tell the hotel management because I forgot- oops!

The other minor complaint was the volume of the other guests- hardly something I can fault the hotel for. A wedding had taken place nearby and several of the wedding guests had stumbled to their rooms loudly in the middle of the night. Is there a way to make the doorway more soundproof?

Best feature of this hotel is the IHOP next door! YUM!

Room Tip: They have AARP & military discounts!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I'm on my honeymoon at the moment going to a few locations in the states our first stop was Los Angeles, we decided to stay in Santa Monica because its such a nice area and went for the best western because of the free wifi and parking, all the other hotels in Santa Monica charge for both so it was a no brainer.

When we got there we were given a little bottle of champagne which I thought it was a nice little touch. The room is small but it has one of the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The view is only ok it has a communal balcony but didn't really use it.

The bathroom was nice good shower and all that so no complaints there, there is a big screen tv with cable tv in hd so it's really good for when you want to just chill out.

Now the bad things, the cleaners start quite early so you can hear them outside in the morning so I think the hotel could either get the cleaners to be more quiet or start a little later on in the morning.

The one thing that majorly bugged me was the noise of some of the rooms if they had there aircon on or bathroom light you can hear a very load humming noise and it's quite loud ad it did keep us up at night.

Overall it's a good hotel with good things going for it apart from the small things that bugged me it's a good hotel with good service and I would stay again .

• Stayed November 2012
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ignore the dimly lit, narrow halls. The rooms here are large and very comfortable, with great beds, comfortable chairs, lots of cable channels. Best of all, the windows open wide -- in this climate, it was wonderful. Our room was very quiet both on weekdays and weekends. An IHOP restaurant is attached, open 24 hours/day. Easy free parking. Great price..

Room Tip: If you want to open the windows, better not to stay on the ground floor. Side away from the street i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Great place to stay for a good price. 30min walk to Santa Monica beach, which was enjoyable. Cleaning service is up early... Real early for someone wanting a sleep in (9:00). Free wifi made contact with the group easy, as well as family back home. The restaurant next door is fantastic! We went there everyday for brekky, lunch and dinner. Also good price with delicious food.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Gateway Hotel Santa Monica? Share your experiences!