“NO service *PLEASE READ*” 3 of 5 stars

Ocean View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1447 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Melbourne, Australia
“NO service *PLEASE READ*”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I arrived to this hotel late, around 11pm as my flight was delayed. I had just been on a 6 hour flight and just wanted to get into bed when the trouble began.

When I booked the hotel in July, the money was deposited from my account (I had made sure). I obviously didn't go back and check it again as I thought I was charged. WRONG. My boyfriend and I went to check in and then the lady at the desk (she was the only nice one- forget her name, brown hair, works afternoon-nights) told me the room needed to be paid for. I was under the impression that it was paid for when I booked it and as this was the last leg of my 3 month overseas trip, we did not have much money left. The lady was nice enough to let us into our room while money was being transferred overnight to us so we could pay the next day.

The stay was good enough. GREAT location. Opposite Santa Monica Pier and just a few blocks down from the main shopping area. The room was average but fine. The balcony was tiny and over looked an old carpark?? or something, not even sure what it was.

It was after we checked out that was the issue.

I still had another 2 days in LA at another hotel. I noticed that after I had checked out (and payed for the room) that money was taken out of my card from the hotel. The room was left in perfect condition as we found it so I knew it would not be because of damages.

I called the hotel and I was put onto the manager, Jose'. He is the rudest person I have ever met, I explained the situation saying that on my card statement 3 more transactions were withdrawn from my account from that hotel without my knowledge or consent (one was refunded so knew they had made a mistake) This means that the hotel took more money out of my card totalling $575.24 on top of the $900 I had already paid for 3 nights !!!!!!!!!!

Jose' the manager called me 'silly' and said he couldn't see the transactions on his computer and refused to believe me. I got my mum to email him a copy of my card statement showing exactly how much was taken out. He didn't answer any calls or emails once he knew it was me and he still refused to refund it as it could not be seen on his computer. I flew home the 2 days later and let it go for 1 week once I was home, waiting for it to be refunded.

Once I was home I had to call my bank and they put it through as unauthorised transactions and I finally got my money back. I will NEVER stay here again and I'll tell everyone planning on going to Santa Monica NOT to stay here. Definitely not worth the money I paid and the manager is a joke.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Location is great, but this should not be an excuse to charge high prices and offer terrible rooms. The smell in the room was not from another restaurant (as said in previous review from hotel staff) it is damp musty smell. The bed spread is old and well used, the curtains are ripped and the room is completely run down. I would really hate to see the price they charge after the renovations in 2014. This has really put a damper on our stay here, it was the last part of our trip and planned on relaxing with an ocean view, now we are planning as many relaxing options out of the room. Have only seen one staff member so far - hope there is a new face on the desk tomorrow.
Don't all get excited for the balcony - great view - but it looks like a back ally small box.

Room Tip: Ocean view room
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights when visiting LA for my Son's graduation from UCLA and really enjoyed my stay. I had not visited Santa Monica before and the Ocean View was just a great base for exploring. I had a room overlooking the Ocean (as the name suggests) and Santa Monica Pier. The room was clean and comfortable with a nice little balcony. The Staff were really friendly and helpful - I had trouble printing my return airline Boarding Card from my laptop so the Manager let me use his PC and printer. Everything in Santa Monica is within easy walking distance of the Hotel - the beach, pier, cycle track, bike hire in fact everything to make your visit memorable. Santa Monica is just great for Bars, Restaurants and shopping and all close to the Ocean View. I would go back in an instant.

Room Tip: You just have to ask for an Ocean View Room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Location proximity to ocean/shops is good. However, the parking situation is a nightmare. Not only do guests have to pay, but aren't even guaranteed a spot or preference. They rent to the general public as well. The lot is so tiny it ensures door dings and when you go down to bottom there is no exit so if its full, which happened to us, you have to try to come out backwards, all the while other traffic is coming down. Ridiculous. The night before we left we ended up having to pay & park in a public garage like 5 blocks away, all we could find, and walk that far in the morning with our luggage. Ridiculous they don't just keep the lot for their paying customers, instead of the public. Also there is a Sushi/bar/restaurant that turns into club at night right below next to and they play loud music all night til 2am and you can hear it in your room even with the door closed. The lobby of hotel is not air conditioned and muggy. The a/c in room shuts on and off all night. This hotel is not worth what they charge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights in october. Location is the one thing here and is a very good one, by ocean avenue, 1 block from santa monica pier.

Negatives: noisy (switched my room in front of the vending machine to other more quiet not with ocean view) , theres no restaurant, its old, has old tv and of course you have yo pay for parking (20/day)

Small details that are valuable to me, the pAper toilet might be the cheaper in town - they could do better with the rate we pay. Also small towels, even the big size.

Stayed October 2013
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Ragdias,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write our hotel a review. We are very grateful to be located in the heart of Santa Monica nearby all major attractions one would want to visit and see in our area. Although our televisions are older ones, I must assure all readers they do work fine. We do look forward in the near future into replacing them with brand new flat screens. I would like to thank you for pointing out our very low nightly parking fee which is only $20.00 per night. While most other hotels in Santa Monica charge $30-$45.00 per night. I do thank you for your suggestions and we are looking into changing them.
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Was looking for an inexpensive option in Santa Monica and took a chance with Expedia unpublished rate deal. Didn't know it was Ocean View until paid and booked and read the reviews here and started second guessing the decision. But after spending two nights (Fri, Sat), I have to say we had no issues with the hotel, and staff were very friendly and helpful. Yeah, the hotel is no 5 star, has seen better days, and there's plans to renovate in 2014. BUT the location can't be beat and we loved being close to everything within walking distance. Our room was clean and everything seem to be in working order. Free wifi worked fine on my iPhone and laptop. Never turned on TV because we weren't in SM to watch TV. We were on the 4th floor, facing inside. If you are on the street I can see how the nightclub next door can be loud into the late evening on Friday night.

Never heard any neighbours and we basically just slept and showered in our room. We had no issues with parking downstairs (my rental car was a Nissan Murano), and it was great not having to drive anywhere for a while in LA area. The 3rd Ave Promenade is two blocks away, the beach is just about as close. Food and drink options are everywhere for all budgets. The Calbi food truck on Ocean Ave was really good for Korean/Mexican fusion. For the price, we would have no problems going back. Not sure what rates will be like after the renovation but hope they can stay affordable for the area.

Hsu118,
I would like to thank you for staying with us here at the Ocean View Hotel. Our entire team prides ourselves in providing excellent customer service personalized to meet each guest needs. Our housekeeping team does there very best to ensure each guest room is clean and comfortable. We are happy we were able to meet your needs during your most recent visit and hopefully more to come.
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed at the Ocean View and loved the location and the price was right. After reading reviews we knew that the rooms were a little run down and they had plans for a renovation. The reviews were correct, the rooms are definitely in need of renovation! In saying that, the location is excellent, a short walk to the Santa Monica Pier, beach, 3rd Street shops and restaurants. Don't expect a fancy place but I think this might be the only place across from the ocean that you can find for less than $200. They also have a very good photographer taking their promo pics : )

Dear Kram0523,

I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to write our hotel a Tripadvisor review. Our nightly room rates are the most affordable rates on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica. All though we are a older property we pride ourselves on guest room cleanliness and excellent customer service which we feel are the key essentials all guest are looking while staying in a hotel. Our location is truly 2nd to none as we are only within a minute walk from all major attractions Santa Monica has to offer! We hope whenever you are in the Los Angeles area we at Ocean View Hotel have another chance to serve you in the future!

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!