“Great Place, Don't Run Away From It” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1447 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Las Vegas
“Great Place, Don't Run Away From It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

You need to remember where you are staying. This isn't the Ritz. Every place here is expensive so be prepared to pay for the area. The staff was very friendly and helpful when we checked in. Our room was not ready when we arrived at 2:30, so they actual put us in another room for 30 minutes until ours was ready so that we could relax and freshen up.
We had a room on the second floor facing the ocean. Our room was clean and comfortable. Yes old TV, but I wasn't here to watch TV. Bed was very comfortable and the view was beautiful.
Don't let the reviews push you away from this place (they almost did that to me). We were very happy with our stay and plan to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
CathyTv,
We at the Ocean View Hotel are honored you stayed with us from your journeys from Las Vegas. We at Ocean View pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and I am happy you noticed that. Our housekeeping team prides themselves in making each guest that stays with us receives a clean and affordable room at a fraction of the price compared to most other hotels located on Ocean Avenue. We are very happy we have earned you as a return customer and we look forward serving you in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

This is a great spot. The price is reasonable for LA as well. It is noisy but you get that with a good Location. Staff at the desk and car park are rude. Girl at the desk obviously to cool to work at the hotel as she does not look at you. Would have been very different experience with someone nice and engaging. Rooms are standard a bit tierd but bed is comfy.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Newnhamp,
I would like to thank you for staying with us at the Ocean View Hotel. I agree with you regarding our great location as well our excellent nightly room rates given our pretty pricey location. I certainly apologize for our parking attendant and front desk clerk did not meet your expectations! We at Ocean View Hotel pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and I have researched your account and addressed this to both team members to ensure this does not happen again. Although our rooms maybe older I can promise you they are clean and very comfortable. Please contact me at your earliest convience as I would like to make this situation right with you.
Michael Torres
Dir Of Rooms.
Ocean View Hotel
Tel: 310 458 4888
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotel is right on Ocean Blvd. After a day of driving in LA traffic, it was great to leave the car and be able to walk everywhere. Parking is expensive ($20) but worth it. Walk to the Pier, 3rd St. Promenade and beach. Reasonable priced and great view. Traffic is noisy because hotel is right on Ocean Blvd. If you don't want traffic noise, sacrifice the view and face into courtyard. Hotel is clean and Laura at the front desk was welcoming and very helpful at check-in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CtheworldDenver,
I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to write our hotel your Tripadvisor review. We are located within a minute walk from the World Famous Santa Monica Pier, 3 Street Promenade, Santa Monica Place Mall so there is no need for a vehicle if your plans are to see our magnificent city! I would like to thank you for pointing out our parking fee which is only $20.00 dollars per night. Which compared to other hotels the overnight parking fees are $30.00 to $45.00 dollars per night. We at Ocean View Hotel pride ourselves in guest room cleanliness as well providing personable customer service one may expect to find at a nearby 4 star hotel. I will be sure to convey to Laura our front desk agent how welcomed she made you feel. Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day!
Nassau, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

You couldn't ask for a better location than the Ocean View. Beautiful view of the Pacific and the Santa Monica pier, and short walk to the promenade, this hotel was a great find! While the rooms may be a little dated, they were clean and comfortable. Above all, the staff - particularly Jose and Yvonne were knowledgeable, professional and so welcoming. They made our stay memorable and made the Ocean View the place we will return to when in Santa Monica!

Room Tip: It's worth the extra money to request an Ocean View room. It is quieter on the upper floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear PattyL52,
We are honored you have chosen the Ocean View Hotel from your journeys from New York. I agree with you 110% as our location is truly amazing! We are located in the heart of Santa Monica and within a minute walk from all major attractions in the city and surrounding areas as well. Our housekeeping team prides themselves on guest room cleanliness and strive to achieve this daily. Thank you for pointing out our two front desk team members as I very grateful they have made your stay with us a memorable one! We look forward serving you in the future whenever you decide to return to Santa Monica in the future.
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Santa Monica and the area near the Pier is one of the most visited places in the United States. As such, hotel prices here are fairly astronomical for what you get. I visited Santa Monica in June and didn't want to pay $350 - $700 per night for a place on the water because of the infamous 'June Gloom' which is a layer of marine haze/fog which rolls into the coastal beach towns most days in May and June in California.

I was delighted to find The Ocean View at a decent rate (about $100 less than several nearby chain hotels) so I booked them using their AAA discount to save even further. I knew the area pretty well, so the main reason I chose Ocean View is its proximety to the Santa Monica Pier (short walk to the left of the hotel) and the Third Street Prominade (4 or 5 blocks from the hotel). Santa Monica is not a city I like to park or drive in, so I always try to stay on Ocean Avenue.

First off, I had a problem at the front desk with my credit card. My work requires that when a hotel or high priced vendor swipes my credit card, the vendor must call to verify the charge or the swipe doesn't go through. The front desk clerk refused to do this. She said that if the card doesn't swipe, she cannot use it. She told me I'd have to use a personal card or she would ask me to leave. (No other place I've been except for the Roosevelt in Hollywood has had any problem verifying the charge.) The front desk wasn't even busy ... I don't understand her reluctance to do this as I had an ID that matched the card as well. I had to do tons of paperwork to submit a personal charge upon returning to the office because of her refusal to do a bit more work and make a 3 minute phone call.

She told me I was being given a courtyard view room. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the 'courtyard' included the interior parking garage. All night long, I heard car doors slamming and the 'Beep Beep!' of people setting their alarms. Parking was around $30 per night and the spaces were so tight, I can't imagine trying to park an SUV. The most annoying thing was being kept up all night by the people closing their doors and setting their alarms, which went on until about 2 a.m.

The room itself seemed clean. However, the furniture looked like it was purchased at a yard sale and the overall vibe of the room felt like something out of the 1990s. When I lifted the mattress there was a gross looking stain on the box spring. The comforter was super faded and looked way too old. I wasn't really down with the bed at all because of the stain and the old school faded comforter. (see pictures)

The room smelled like Lysol disinfectant spray, which I guess was a good thing because it meant the room was clean ... but the smell was a bit overwhelming and not pleasant. The television set was a smaller old school box set and not the flatscreen types many of the hotels have in them. The picture wasn't exactly clear. (see pictures)

The bathroom was old as well and the grouting job was pretty much terrible. Chips here and there on the tile and the furniture. The door looked like one of those metal doors with the exposed screws from an old spring break hotel. The air conditioning did not work well at all ... luckily it was kind of cool due to the fog.

I wasn't expecting Shutters or even the Wyndham for the price. Having to do it over, I would have paid $80 more for the Georgian Hotel which is right next door. However, if you are on a budget and don't want one of the little 1960s style motels with exterior corridors, you won't find a hotel on Ocean Avenue for any cheaper. I actually liked this better than the Hotel California where I stayed before and it was just as close to the Pier and even closer to the Third Street Prominade.

Santa Monica isn't the best city to walk around at night (its gotten much better) but you should still be aware and alert when walking back from the bars late at night. I'd recommend Chez Jay or the Olde King's Head Pub, which are both a short walk from the hotel. Still, you are right on Ocean Avenue, so it is not incredibly scary. Just be alert. Overall, this place is great for the budget minded but not for those who are looking for rooms that aren't a bit worn and dated.

Room Tip: Pay extra for an ocean view. Interior rooms are noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear AVeryPickyTraveler,
I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to write our hotel your very subjective review. I agree with you 110% regarding our very low nightly room rates compared to all other hotels located on Ocean Avenue. We do our very best to ensure to all guest who stay with us here at the Ocean View Hotel will be and are paying the very lowest prices given our very high demand area!

We are located in the very heart of Santa Monica and within a minute walk from the Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica Place Mall! As well any kind of restaurant that will definitely satisfy any ones taste buds!

I must apologize if you felt there was a problem with your check in with us. We do have a policy where we must swipe all guest credit card that check in with us. The reason being it validates to credit card companies the card was physically here and swiped. I have researched your account and noticed there is a maximum amount of $300.00 per transaction and the authorization that was needed was a little more than that amount. I have trained all the front office staff in the event this happens again the proper way of authorizing a credit card.

I am truly grateful for pointing out our very low overnight parking fee of only $20.00 per night. Compared to most other hotels located on Ocean Avenue that charge around $30.00-$45.00 per night. I must apologize for the noise you heard not from our hotel but from the parkers passing by from the back of the hotel. I would like to inform all tripadvisor readers the noise this reviewer wrote about was not from the hotel itself. But from the street right behind us!

Our housekeeping team takes huge pride to ensure each guest room meets the highest standards one may expect to find at a nearby 4 star hotel. As our goal is to make each guest stay with us comfortable as they are at home.

I must disagree but I do respect your comment recommending guest not to stay with us and try another hotel. I would like to inform all Tripadvisor readers the good and the bad thing about Tripadvisor. Each review is based on ones subjective opinion! For instance there maybe 20 people that love the color blue but for some reason there is 1 person that does not due to the shade of the color or any reason they may feel.
Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day!
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I originally stayed here when they were part of the Best Western chain. It was okay. The next time I stayed here, I tried searching for it on the Best Western site. I couldn't find it. It was no longer affiliated with Best Western. I stayed here at beginning of vacation, then we travelled somewhere else and came back for last couple of days before leaving for home. We booked ocean view room for first stay. View is nice. Traffic noise is bad. Internet would not work. Called front desk. They said call number on Internet brochure. Turns out the connection to plug into was bad. I had to figure this out on my own. Parking is a nightmare. You pay for it, then they allow the nightclub next door to park there also. So if you return at night you will have a hard time finding parking. Rooms were generally okay, but customer service was poor. I can see why they are no longer affiliated with Best Western. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear B727221,
I would like to thank you for writing our hotel your subjective review. We at Ocean View Hotel pride ourselves in providing excellent customer as well clean affordable rooms. As our goal is to make each guest feels like they are home! We departed with the Best Western franchise many years ago and I must apologize you were under the impression as if we still were. Our housekeeping department does their very best to ensure all of our guest rooms meet the highest levels of cleanliness one may expect to find at a nearby 4 star hotel which I noticed there is no mention on your review of that. I have researched your account and noticed the day of your arrival we were sold out. I certainly apologize for our parking lot being pretty full during the evening you stayed with us. We are located in the heart of Santa Monica next to all major attractions within the city. We are only a minute walk from the world famous Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade , Santa Monica Place Mall and restaurants that are truly impeccable! It seems the evening you stayed with us on was a pretty busy day in the area! I must apologize for the traffic noise you may of heard! I would like the opportunity to speak with you at your earliest convenience. Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day.
Upland, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

It's all in the name. Our first morning waking up, we looked out the window, and bam. The ocean view was mesmerizing. The beds were so comfortable, and leaving the window open to feel that ocean breeze just completes the whole experience. We ate breakfast on our balcony, and it was like stepping into paradise. It is such a peaceful location, and the room was spotless. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a gorgeous and relaxing "ocean view" experience.

Room Tip: The balcony is amazing!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Holly W,
I am honored you stayed with us here at Ocean View Hotel and it was mesmerizing. We are directly across the street from the beautiful blue waters of the Santa Monica Beach. The views we provide from our Ocean View rooms with a private balcony are truly 2nd to none! We do our very best to provide comfortable rooms with a very relaxed beach experience at a fraction of price compared to other properties located on Ocean Avenue. We at Ocean View Hotel feel tailored customer service and clean affordable rooms which we offer both. Is what we pride ourselves in and do our very best to accomplish this daily with every guest that walks through our hotel doors. We look forward serving you again whenever you happen to return to Santa Monica in the future.

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!