“Good Budget Hotel for the area” 3 of 5 stars

Ocean View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1447 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
White Rock
“Good Budget Hotel for the area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Given that it's very close to the pier, the rates are reasonable. The rooms were a bit small, as were the beds, and could use some upgrading. However, if you are here to see the sights and not spend all your time in your room, this hotel does the job. No restaurant on site but plenty are within a few blocks. If you have your own car, or a rental larger than a sub-compact, you may want to park elsewhere. I have never seen so many cars crammed into such a small space. Parking is open to the public and there aren't that many spots to begin with. Ask about the discount available at Jinky's (great breakfast place). Apparently they offer a 10% discount if staying at the Ocean View Hotel but the hotel staff doesn't mention it, even when asked for a breakfast recommendation.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an "Ocean View" room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
mtorres1, General Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Talisker55,
I would like the opportunity to thank you for staying with us from your journeys from White Rock. Thank you for pointing out our most incredible location in Santa Monica. As we are only within a one minute walk from the Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica Place Mall and so much more. We are very happy we are foot steps away from a variety of 4 to 5 star restaurants that will meet the taste buds of anyone’s dinning experiences. I will be sure to inform all of our front desk team to mention the discount Jinkys offers to our hotel guest and I apologize if they haven’t when you were here with us. I hope whenever you visit Santa Monica in the future we at the Ocean View Hotel have the chance to serve you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
holmdel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I just spent 5 nights in late June at hotel. We had a top floor room with balcony and view of ocean for a very good price. Can't beat the location. But, we were mostly impressed with the responsive, friendly and quick service from front desk and maid service.
Only negative that comes to mind is parking at $20/day. But this is really a Santa Monica issue, not so much hotel specific.
Breakfast tips. If you want great breakfast nearby try Jinky's. Get 10% off if staying at Ocean View. Their pancake waffles are special. Also it is only 2 block walk to McDonalds, so we enjoyed a few cheap breakfasts on our balcony.
We recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sueholm,
I would like to thank you for writing our hotel a Tripadvisor review. I agree with you 110% in regards to our very affordable nightly room rates compared to most other hotels located on Ocean Avenue. Our entire front desk team prides themselves to make sure each guest feels like they are home. We do our very best in providing a personable service one would expect to find at a nearby 4 star hotel. Our Housekeeping team work so very hard to ensure each guest receives a clean and comfortable room.

I do apologize that you felt our parking charge of $20.00 per night was a negative for you. But I must ensure you that the fee of $20.00 per night for parking is the lowest price one can find on Ocean Avenue which is a positive! I hope whenever you return to Santa Monica in the future we at the Ocean View Hotel have another chance to serve you again. Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

For $350 a night i got carpark views not ocean views. Night Reception staff not intetested at all but day staff very helpful. No fridge. Car park open to public so of you have a car, you may not get a park despite the $30 fee. On Ocean Ave so close to all but wont be back. Better around at this price.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I dove over 500 miles with my wife on our 20th anniversary to find out that my room had been given to someone else but luckily when I contacted ocean view they had a room and when I told Laura my situation she gave me an ocean front room and saved the day. Thank you Laura and ocean view hotel for saving my anniversary.... sincerely Jeff J.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear 420AZ,
I am extremely honored you and your husband choose the Ocean View Hotel for your 20th wedding anniversary! The views from our Ocean View rooms are truly breathtaking. I am very grateful our front desk Agent Laura was so very prompt and positive and corrected this problem that could have been. I will be sure to inform Laura on a job well done during our next shift briefing. I hope in the future whenever you decide to return to Santa Monica we at the Ocean View Hotel have another opportunity to serve you again! Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day.
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We traveled with 2 teenage daughters. Good hotel. Great location. Friendly staff. 1st room had air conditioner that was "broken" so after we complained for the 2nd time, they upgraded us to a room with a view. Pricey with no amenities. I would probably have stayed 2 blocks away & paid less next time....we spent very little time in the room! Parking is $20/night and limited since they open up the garage to the public! I would rate overall 2 star.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view are noisy. Interior rooms have a view to parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear aprilmayDallas,
I would like to thank you for writing a review about our hotel. I agree with you 100% in regards to our most incredible location in Santa Monica. We are located within a 1 minute walk from the Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica Place Mall and so much more. We do our very best to ensure each guest receives the highest levels of customer service one would expect to find at a nearby 4 star hotel. I must apologize for the hair dryer in your room not working properly! As soon as you brought this to our attention we made sure we corrected it within 5 minutes. I must ensure all Tripadvisors readers of this review. I can guarantee our hotel is the most affordable hotel located on Ocean Avenue which most hotels in our location rooms go around $400.00 to $500.00 per night. On the other hand are much more affordable than that. I would like to thank you for pointing out our very reasonable parking price of only $20.00 per night. As most other hotels charge $30.00 to $40.00 per night we believe and pride ourselves as being the most affordable, clean and friendly hotel on Ocean Avenue. Whenever you decide to return to Santa Monica we hope you will be one of our many return guests. Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day!
Suva, Fiji
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Unfortunately our stay was marred by our first night. We arrived after midnight from overseas and our room (the last one available) had not been serviced. The night manager was able to get someone to service it (even at that hour), but we were not too impressed after a six hour flight and one hour drive from the airport. Big thanks to the manager though for upgrading us to an ocean view room. That eased much of the pain. The hotel's location must be the best in Santa Monica, if you want to stroll to the shops, the mall, the beach, whatever. Who needs a car at this hotel? The room was not as plush as it perhaps once was, and it wasn't large, but it's very comfortable and apparently a good value for Santa Monica. We would definitely stay here again on our next trip to LA.

Room Tip: The Ocean View room actually does have an ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The ONLY thing that is nice about this hotel is the location. The beach and Santa Monica Pier are directly across the street. If you dont mind paying $250+ for a view out a dirty window looking at an alley full of dumpsters and parking lot, then you are in for a treat. My room was in the back of the hotel and I stayed two nights.

The first night, I had to complain of the cigarette smokers, smoking in the hallway, which is exposed to the outside elements, but since the doors are not sealed correctly the wonderful sea breeze blew all the smoke into my room. This also happened the second night. When I complained to the front desk, they were very responsive to my calls.

The parking is terrible, if you have a truck, DO NOT attempt to park onsite. I had a Lexus SUV and I barely squeezed through all the cars parked along the downward spiral into the parking garage.

The beds are nice and comfy, the room was set up a little wierd. The TV and the bed only had about 2 feet from each other and getting a suit case by, was impossible.

The bathroom and room was super warm when I arrived and when I opened the bathroom door, I nearly passed out from the smell. It smelled as if someone had vomited and seriously needed to be aired out and updated. I have posted pictures of the rusted door frames and dirty old grout.

Overall, I will not stay here in the future and Im still on a search for a nice, comfortable and reasonable hotel in LA, since I have visit the area every 4 weeks. This hotel is certainly out of the running. On to the next....

Room Tip: Request a ocaen view or its not worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!