“It'll do... but far from luxury” 3 of 5 stars

You added Ocean View Hotel to your Saves list
Ocean View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1447 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #25 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
“It'll do... but far from luxury”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Location is so perfect it makes it worth the lack of luxury. It is very basic, no amenities really coffee in room is generic, no conditioner, small tv with limited channel selection, flimsy bedsheets covering cheap blankets. It is relatively clean, fairly comfortable, and easy to access. If you are in a budget and motel style is ok then I would consider Ocean View. Parking is $20

• Stayed May 2013
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Nedaac,
I would like to thank you for your stay with us here at the Ocean View Hotel. I agree with you 100% in regards to our cleanliness of the hotel. Our housekeeping team takes pride in making sure each guest receives a clean and comfortable room. In addition our front desk team ensures each guest receives the highest levels of customer service one would expect to find at a nearby 4 star hotel! I must inform all Tripadvisor readers that we do not advertise our hotel to be a luxury hotel. But we certainly pride ourselves being the most affordable mid-scale hotel located on Ocean Avenue across the street from the Pier. I would like to Thank you as well for pointing out our very low overnight parking which is only $20.00 per night compared to all other hotels located on Ocean Avenue that charge between $30.00 to $40.00 per night. I hope whenever you decide to return to Santa Monica we have the chance to serve you yet again!

494 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is what I would describe as a minimum amenities hotel but the location more than makes up for it. The room is cleaned every day, you get the usual shampoo & soap in the bathroom, the towels are basic, there is no restaurant but the staff were helpful in recommending places in the area. The king sized bed we had was comfortable and gave us three good night's sleep. We had an ocean view room on the fourth floor, which came with a small fridge and balcony, however we met a couple who had a courtyard room which was small and looked over the 'courtyard' car park.

There are little cafes within a block for breakfast, the 3rd Street Promenade is 2 blocks away and the Santa Monica Pier and beach are 5-10 minutes stroll. Lots of nice restaurants around for dinner.

We loved our stay here and would stay again if ever we came to the States again.

Room Tip: 4th floor looking out over the water.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael2810,
Thank you for staying with us from your journeys from Melbourne, Australia. I certainly agree that our location is perfectly situated in the heart of Santa Monica. We do not have a restaurant in our hotel due to the so many restaurants that are from a 20 second walking distance from our hotel. We do our very best to ensure each guest receives a clean affordable room and receives the highest levels of customer service! As our goal at the Ocean View Hotel is to make each guest feel like they are home. We look forward serving you in the future serving you again!
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My friend and I stayed here after finding a neighbouring hotel too boxy. The interior is a little outdated but the view of the beach from our room was amazing. The rooms were clean and we found Laura at the front desk particularly helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
LauraPixels,

I would like to thank you for staying with us at the Ocean View Hotel. I do agree with you 100% that our service and cleanliness of our room are truly outstanding! The views from our Ocean View rooms are breathtaking and our room rates are only a fraction of the price compared to other hotels on Ocean Avenue. I do hope in the future whenever you decide to return to Santa Monica we have the chance to serve you again!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I ended up here after having a bad experience at another place nearby and was really upset. As a result, I was also anxious and desperate to get settled in a hotel for the night that didn't cost $500. Laura could see I was upset and right away made me feel comfortable. She was friendly, professional and very service-oriented. She got me in a room with a view right away and is responsible for turning around my vacation. The room was clean and quiet and perfect for the price. Can't beat the location. Hopefully, you will be served by Laura as well. Will make for a good experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Heather60614,
I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to write our hotel a review. I am truly honored Laura made you feel comfortable, as well as the our entire front desk team pride themselves in making sure each guest feels like they are home! Our housekeeping department strives and are 100% committed to ensure each guest receives the cleanest rooms a guest would expect to find at a 4 star hotel. We are perfectly situated in the heart of Santa Monica within a minute walking distance from the world famous Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica Place Mall and so much more! We look forward serving you again in future from your journeys from Chicago.
New Orleans, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Yes, this is a bare bones style hotel, but very good for what it is - you get a moderately sized room with a comfortable bed(s) and a good sized functional bathroom with plenty of hot water. No pillow topped "heavenly beds", no mint on the pillow, and no room service or attached restaurant - but you can walk outside and in 3 minutes be on the beach or in a great restaurant or bar. If you want luxury, stay elsewhere. If you want a fabulous location and a place to lay your head on the pillow and to take a shower before heading out for the day, you will be happy. If you want to be pampered, there are plenty of other much more expensive options for you.
We were on the high floors, so I don't know how loud the nightclub in one corner of the first floor would be if you were closer and staying over a weekend, but we didn't hear anything from our rooms and the party was rocking down there full force.

Room Tip: High floor better, and ask for a room away from Ma'kai (the nightclub on the ground floor)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Nolasince90,
Thank you for choosing the Ocean View Hotel for your choice of stay from your journeys from New Orleans. I am very happy we meet your needs during your visit with us. We pride ourselves by providing the highest levels of customer service as well as clean, comfortable rooms at a very low nightly room rate compared to other hotel location on Ocean Avenue. I do disagree with you regarding our service we provide at the front desk. Our team will do their very best to ensure each guest is greeted with a warm welcoming and all questions or information or requests we will for fill. I sure would like a second opportunity to accommodate you in the future and we can prove to you what we are doing on a day by day basis. Please call me or email me whenever you decide to visit Santa Monica in the future!

Michael Torres
Hotel Manager
Tel# 310 458 4888
michaeltorres@oceanviewsantamonica.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My friend and I arrived for a class we were taking near by we were on a budget and this hotel met it. The front staff was wonderful especially the night staff. They switched us rooms to accommodate our early mornings. That even got us a route to Disneyland to miss the rush hour traffic:) the hotel is old but it's clean and friendly and that's great for me:)

• Stayed March 2013
Carianne23,
I am honored we at the Ocean View Hotel had the chance to accommodate you and your friend on your last visit to Santa Monica. Our front desk and housekeeping teams pride themselves to provide the highest levels of customer service and clean affordable rooms. We do our very best and will not stop until we make sure each guest receives a personable service tailored to them as a individual. I hope whenever you decide to return to Santa Monica we at the Ocean View Hotel ,have the chance to serve you again!
Boulder, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We often travel to California with our family. My teenage daughter had a sports tournament in Los Angeles so our team booked a block of rooms at The Ocean View because we needed a place that was reasonably priced...where the teenage kids could enjoy the beach and the fun shops in Santa Monica.
The location is the one and only reason to stay at this hotel - it is across the street from the beach and pier and close to lots of shopping and restaurants. The rooms have old and dingy decor. The beds are hard and uncomfortable. The towels and bedding cheap and scratchy. The computer in the lobby (for printing boarding passes) didn't work - and the front desk employees weren't helpful. I stayed at The Shore Hotel about a year ago. It is worth an extra $100 per night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear CO_Family_of_5,
Thank you for writing our hotel your subjective review. I must truly disagree with your comments in regarding our linens and bedding we provide for our guest. We quality check each guest room before we have a guest stay in the room to ensure the highest standards for our customers. Our service levels are honestly amazing as all 200+ reviewers have stated since I have started to manage the Ocean View Hotel. I must clarify to all Trip advisor readers of the review; the hotel they are comparing to us is a brand new 4 star hotel. We are not a 4 star hotel at the current moment, but we ensure all guest will receive a clean and affordable room given our very high on demand location. Our front desk team plays a very large roll with the hotels success as all other reviews clearly state that! Thank you for staying with us at the Ocean View Hotel and have a wonderful day

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!