“Great location at a reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1447 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #26 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
Santa Rosa, California
“Great location at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at Ocean View. Its location is very good, as it allows you to have dinner at one of the many nearby restaurants. The room was comfortable. The only negative point was the unfriendly lady at the reception (apparently not educated to properly deal with foreign tourists), but when we mentioned this with her supervisor Jose' the next morning, he made every effort to apologize about her behavior and encourage us to come back again. Overall it is a good choice for staying in Santa Monica.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Elena152024,
I would like to thank you for taking time in writing our hotel your review. Our hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of Santa Monica. We are within a minute walk from Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica Place Mall and so much more! Our housekeeping staff takes pride to ensure all of our guest rooms, meets the highest standards of cleanliness as well very comfortable. Our goal is to make each guest that stays with us feels like they are home. I must apologize if there may have been a misunderstanding with one of our front desk agents. I do disagree with you regarding this matter as per the past reviews all clearly state how great all of our front desk team does on service. We look forward serving you in the future!

516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Very accommodating staff. Great view. Walking distance from everything. A morning walk to the beach was very convenient for me.Last but not the least, very affordable rates:). I would love to bring my family here when I get back. Thank you to all the staff of Ocean View Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Gcevt,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write our hotel a review. I must agree with you 100% that our entire staff is very accommodating! We strive to ensure we meet each guest individual needs and request and we pride our self’s on service with a smile. Our views from our Ocean View rooms are truly breathtaking and are priceless. Our room rates are the most affordable one can find on Ocean Avenue! We look forward serving you and your family on your next journeys from Washington DC.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and the location and view were excellent. We had a deluxe room on the top floor and had an excellent view of the ocean and pier. The room was clean and had it's own balcony.
It's less than 5 minutes walk to the shopping district of Santa Monica and about the same distance to the pier.
The hotel does not have good amenities, but they don't advertise things they don't have. There is no room service or restaurant on site, they were not even able to provide any milk. Although there are plenty of restaurants nearby so this was not too big a problem, more an inconvenience than anything.
The staff were helpful and friendly.
If you're after location that's comparatively reasonably priced, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: upgrade to the deluxe to get an ocean view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Robyn5373,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write our hotel a review from your journeys from Australia! I must agree with you in regards to our location which is 2nd to none. We are directly across the street from the Santa Monica Bay and within a minute walk from the world famous Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade and Santa Monica Place Mall. Our housekeepers work very hard to ensure each guest room meets the highest standards which one would expect to find at a 4 star hotel. I certainly apologize for any misunderstanding regarding room service which we at the hotel do not provide nor do we advertise claiming to have. Our entire staff will always go above and beyond to ensure all guest receive the highest levels of customer service as our goal is to make each guest feel like they are at home. I hope whenever you decide to return to Santa Monica in the future you will consider staying with us again.
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We spent one night at the Ocean View Hotel. The location is fabulous and that is the only reason I can suggest for staying here. It appears the hotel has undergone some renovations. Our room had fresh paint, new wallpaper border and new drapes. But despite these cosmetic changes, the hotel shows it age. The hallways, which are open air, have a worn down early 80's look. Our room faced the "courtyard" which is an interior room with a view of the parking garage--which really did not matter to me. I still appreciated being able to open the patio door for air. The bed was not particularly comfortable and the bedding and towels were low budget. For the price, I would have expected better quality. On the plus side, our room was clean and the hotel was quiet. In a high price hotel market, I am sure the Ocean View seems like a reasonable alternative. I'll sacrifice location for a better quality hotel on my next visit to Santa Monica.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 05,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write our hotel your subjective review. I must agree with you that our hotel is perfectly situated in Santa Monica within a minute walking distance from the Santa Monica Pier, 3RD Street promenade and Santa Monica Place Mall and so much more. We do our very best to ensure all guest rooms have a fresh and comfortable appreance to them. We also do our very best to ensure all guest receive the highest levels of customer service and our cleanliness is 2nd to none. I must disagree with you, our nightly room rates are honestly the cheapest one can find on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica. I do thank you for staying with us and I hope in the near future you will give us a 2nd chance to stay with us.
West Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stopped in Santa Monica for two days on the way back from New Zealand. The Hotel is ideally situated near the Santa Monica Pier and 3rd St Promenade. The staff (Jose) was extremely helpful and the rooms, although are still decorated for the 90's, are comfortable and our view from the balcony was fantastic. We watched the sunset going down behind the palm trees on both nights. We ate at the Lobster (3 mins walk) and True Food Kitchen (5 mins away).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Corky617,
I am honored that you choose our hotel from your journeys from New Zealand. I must agree with you that our hotel is perfectly situated in the heart beat of Santa Monica. We are within a minute walk from all major attractions one would want to see or do in the area. I would like to thank you for pointing out our front desk team member Jose. He has a vast knowledge of the area and his customer service is 2nd to none, as well our entire front desk team! Our housekeepers pride themselves ensuring all guest rooms meet the highest standards one would expect to find in a 4 star hotel. Next time you travel to Santa Monica, I hope you decide to stay with us again as our breathtaking views will always be here waiting for you!
brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Yes the rooms and hallways are a little dated etc, but you cannot beat the position, the view and the service. I arranged a group of 5 different rooms via email and was very impressed by Jose you helped with my questions and made the booking very easy. The hotel has a lovely foyer and excellent helpful staff are what really matters when you are not paying ridiculous prices in santa monica. the rooms are dated but clean and the beds are VERY comfortable and they are quiet! you cannot hear the next room or the hallway or the road noise - which is more important sometimes than a beautiful room that is noisy! i highly recommend for a short stay where location is important - eg close to shopping on 3rd st promonade and surrounds and the pier, and you value a good comfy bed and quiet room. also - jose is brilliant!!

Room Tip: maybe ask for an ocean front room, high up so you get a nice view from the little balcony.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear brissietravellers,
I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to write our hotel a review. Our entire front desk team does their very best to ensure all guest needs are meet. I am honored that Jose was that one particular front desk agent who stood out the most! Our housekeeping team honed themselves in providing the cleanest rooms in Santa Monica. Although we are a older property we feel that providing clean and affordable rooms and the highest levels of customer service is truly what a guest are looking for. I hope whenever you return back to Santa Monica you will choose the Ocean View Hotel for your choice of stay!
Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

From our first phone call to book the reservation to the friendly welcome upon arrival to the clean, comfortable room, we were greatly impressed. And you can't find a better location and especially that it includes parking. And a reasonable price for all that. Thank you.

Room Tip: choose a room on the front with an ocean view and balcony
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Cathy K,

I am honored we had the chance to serve you from your journeys from Indiana. Our front desk team strives to ensure each and every guest receives the highest of levels of customer service. Our housekeeping team takes pride cleaning each guest room as our goal is to make sure each guest feels like they are home. Our location and nightly room rates are truly the lowest anyone can find in Santa Monica. We hope in the future whenever you decide to return back to Santa Monica that the Ocean View Hotel will be your choice of stay!

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!