“OUR MOST FAVORITE PLACE IN LA” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1447 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Houston, Texas
“OUR MOST FAVORITE PLACE IN LA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

lenette

The Ocean View is our favorite place to stay when we visit LA. My sister an I have been guests at the Ocean View for the last 7 years. Their service is OUTSTANDING and the location simply cannot be beat. The hotel itself is one of the older ones on Ocean View, and while the furniture and bedding may not be new everything is incredibly clean and cared for. Super cute balconey with table and chairs allows you to see the perfect view of the boardwalk and the beach. The sunset cant be topped anywhere else on the planet! Prices are quite reasonable and they have parking directly under the rooms. The best views, access to the boardwalk, and shopping in Santa Monica keeps us coming back yearly!!!!

Room Tip: Room 401 is the biggest, wtih a top floor kings view and quiter location in the corner.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear lenette I,
I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to share your experience about your most recent visit with us. We are truly honored to have such a loyal guest such as you and your sister throughout the past 7 years! Our housekeeping team does their very best to ensure each and every guest room meets our high standards of cleanliness we at Ocean View Hotel require. Our front desk staff will always go above and beyond to make our entire guest feel welcomed and at home. I agree with you 100% with your comment “Our sunset cannot be topped anywhere else on the planet “! Our Ocean View rooms with a private balcony, views come 2nd to none. I look forward serving you and your sister on your 8th visit to Santa Monica.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Marina Del Rey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Fun, Friendly, & Fantastic!!! I have been hanging out at The Ocean View Hotel for a while now, and it just gets better with time. Great People, an Incredible Location, and Wonderful Pricing, with Excellent Service. Nothing in the area comes close to the Nostalgic and the "Old School" feeling of the Ocean View Hotel. It reminds me of what Santa Monica was like before Corporate America came in and changed our quiet little sea side community. I enjoy every stay at The Ocean View Hotel, and I am certain you will to. So give them a try, I am sure you will be back in no time at all enjoying The Cool Breeze Of The Ocean View Hotel In Santa Monica, California.

• Stayed January 2013
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Doctorkimbo,
I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to write our hotel a review. I certainly do agree with you our location is perfectly situated in the heart of Santa Monica. Our staff has a vast knowledge of the entire area and we do our very best to make each guest feel like they are at home. There may be different hotels who take different approaches and they create somewhat of a cold atmosphere at their property. We on the other hand do our very best to make each guest feel like we are not only a place to stay, we are also there friend and we want to make our services as personal able as possible! I am honored we were able to accomplish our goals in making sure your stay was outstanding. I am grateful to have you as one of our very many loyal and faithful customers. We at Ocean View Hotel look forward serving you whenever you return back to Santa Monica in the future.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have to admit that after reading other reviews of this hotel, I was more than a little bit concerned about our choice to stay here but with a family of 5 and a few weeks of travelling ahead of us, we needed to stay in a place that suited our budget and it is hard to find a reasonably-priced hotel in Santa Monica, in a good location. The good news is that we were really surprised and very happy. Let me outline our stay in point form:

LOCATION: To start with, you would be hard pressed to find a better location in Santa Monica. It literally is across from the beach and the world famous pier and just a quick walk to the 3rd street promenade and shops and whilst our room did not have an ocean view, this was not a concern as when we travel, we do not hang around in our room, preferring to see the sights of our chosen travel destination.

They are also close to bus stops and really easy to get to/from.

SERVICE: The staff, in particular Joy, could not have been more helpful. We arrived very early after a horrible flight and she made sure that we had an early check-in and were accommodated ASAP. Joy also went out of her way to help us with other travel arrangements that we needed, ensuring that everything ran smoothly and organised some great discounts for us.

ACCOMMODATION: We had a double queen room on the second floor and I have to say that the beds were really, really comfortable and the room was clean and a decent size. Everything worked.

The only issue we had was on our last night when we had a very noisy person above us who was thumping around. Please note that noise issues also happened to us at a Sheraton hotel as well, so it is not a real reflection on this particular hotel but thought that I should mention it to provide a complete and fair review. After mentioning it to Joy the following day, she said that all we needed to do was to call reception should it happen again and they would sort it out. I was happy with that response.

All in all, after considering other options, this place provided great value for money with fabulous service in one of the best locations in Santa Monica. Thankyou Joy for making our stay seamless and happy. We have fond memories of our stay in Santa Monica.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Kylie L,
I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity for choosing the Ocean View Hotel from your journeys from Australia. I am honored our front desk agent Joy was able to make your stay such a memorable one! We pride ourselves on providing the highest levels of customer service while providing the cleanest rooms in Santa Monica. I must agree with you, our location is located in the heart of Santa Monica and only within a minute walk from the Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica Place Mall and so much more. I do agree 100% with your comment regarding a couple of other comments written about our hotel in the past. But the great thing about TripAdvisor is it gives the opportunity to all to write what they felt about their stay. Even though, I know for a fact some may not be true. It gives guest a free format to express their opinion what they as an individual felt! It’s kind of like you may like the color blue but there maybe someone else that is appalled by this color. I hope during your next trip to Santa Monica we get to have a second chance to accommodate you and your family again!
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Everyone needs a weekend at the beach. Done. This place. Stayed here with my teen son.

Easy check-in. Secure elevator. Upper floor room with million dollar view of pier and beach and ocean and sunset. Big, clean room, small, sweet balcony with two chairs and table. This view is better than anything you can see on television.

We grabbed a convertible and cruised PCH to Malibu. Fun! Heading back, we found the The Ocean View's garage fee reasonable.

Thanks to the nice, professional staff. This is a busy location, right on the beach, and the front desk handles things very well. Guests come from across the globe. Hotel has security, since there are two nightclubs on the block that get kinda, uh, drinky. And loud on the weekend until about two a.m. Just part of the fun of a beach weekend.

Room Tip: No Car? Need to go to a Dodgers Game or catch a train at Union Station? Take the Blue Bus, right on...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Sid L,
Thank you for choosing Ocean View Hotel from your journeys from Oregon. I must agree that everyone does need a weekend or week day to go to the beach. Our views of the Pacific Ocean and sounding scenery are truly breathtaking. I am honored you and your son decided to stay here with us. My entire staff does our very best to ensure 100% customer satisfaction and we strive to achieve that with each and every guest that stays with us! I hope on your next beach visit you and your son choose us for your next beach visit.
Maroochydore, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed in late December 2012 as part of our honeymoon... at $1024 for 3 nights we expected much more …

Positives: View is great (even from the first floor) wonderful sunsets; location - close to Santa Monica Pier; 3rd Street Promenade and tour departures (across street).

Now for the rest:
No concierge – had to ask the driver to wait while we went inside and got the trolley ourselves (lot of luggage due to extended trip). Did the same in reverse on checkout. Staff just stood around, watched us struggling with bags and trying to get the trolley through the door.

Bed was comfortable but the sheets smelled very strongly of bleach.
Walls are paper-thin and you can easily hear next door’s television and talking..
Curtains were completely crushed and not ironed.
Television was archaic with picture tube obviously failing (approx. one third of the screen at the top was just distorted lines). Doesn’t management carry out these simple routine checks?

Housekeeping wasn’t done properly – no coffee or cup replacement.
No restaurant at this hotel at all –.even had to buy water. (All other hotels we stayed in USA had complimentary bottled water in the rooms). Drink machine on first floor was empty for the 4 days we were there - no one bothered to refill it.

Housekeeping staff unlocked the door and opened the window to our balcony while we were out which we felt was a security risk as we were only on the first floor. Rooms and (especially) hallways smelled of stale tobacco, mould and damp.

The most disconcerting thing we discovered was the sign (see photo) on the front door to the hotel advising of the toxic chemicals within that cause birth defects, cancer and other reproductive harm. (Odd that the Manager, Michael Torres responded to another reviewer and said smoking is not permitted despite the sign advising otherwise).

We would never stay here again. It was one of the most expensive places per night and we would rate it at less than 2 star.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Monteforae,
I would like to thank you for taking your time to write our hotel your subjective review. I must agree with you our location is perfectly situated in the heart of Santa Monica. While we do pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and the cleanest and “most affordable” rooms in Santa Monica!
I do apologize if our staff did not ask or attempt to assist you with your luggage. I have addressed this with my entire team today. I have researched your account and noticed you had a do not disturb sign on your door. This would be the reason why our housekeeper did not service your room during your stay. We do have several rooms that do have the older flat screens, but they do function properly and perfectly and the picture reception looks great. We do not advertise having a restaurant in our hotel because we do not have one. We do our very best while being a limited service hotel and we provide a vending machine not only in our lobby, but on each and every guest floor. I do disagree with your comment in regards to our hotel smelt of tobacco or anything of this nature, as you are correct that we are a 100% non smoking hotel. In regards to the toxic chemicals sign you have written about. We must place this sign as well all businesses in the state of California do to Proposition 65. The state of California does require us and all businesses to do so! Even though we do enforce our city of Santa Monica mandate which we do not allow smoking in our property at all. Thank you for staying with us and have a great day!
Santa Barbara, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were in Santa Monica for business. Looking at other hotels in the Santa Monica area they can be very expensive. We wanted to stay near restaurants, shops and ocean. The Ocean View Hotel was a the perfect location and when we saw the price of the hotel we couldn't believe it. We thought maybe we might be making a mistake, but let's give it a try. We had an easy check in and out with the hotel staff. The room was average, but was large enough, clean and comfortable. We could walk to shops and restaurants and of course the beach or pier. We were pleasantly surprised how nice it was. For the price and location the Ocean View is prefect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear SBCA Traveler,
Thank you, for taking the time to write our hotel your review. I am honored my staff was able to meet to your needs! We are perfectly situated in the heart of Santa Monica just within a minute walk from Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica Place Mall and so much more. We do our very best to provide all guest a enjoyable experience at a low room rate price given our location on Ocean Avenue. We at Ocean View Hotel look forward serving you in your future travels to Santa Monica.
Latham, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Best Location in Santa Monica Awesome Views of The Beautiful Pacific Ocean and Santa Monica Pier along with Views of Malibu. Great Friendly Staff and Got a chance to meet Mike Torres The Manager. The Rooms were spotlessly Clean This is our 6 th year at The Ocean View and There will be many More Thank You So Much for Everything The Nazarians

Room Tip: Ocean View with Balcony is Awesome
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nazarians,

I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your visits to Santa Monica. Our location is perfectly positioned in the heart of Santa Monica. My entire staff prides ourselves by providing the highest levels of customer service and our housekeeping team always goes above and beyond to ensure all of our guest rooms meet the Ocean View Hotel standards. I am honored we have earned you as our return guest 6 times though out the years and it was a pleasure meeting you as well! We look forward serving you on your 7th visit to Santa Monica in the future.

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!