“Great location and spacious room” 4 of 5 stars

You added Ocean View Hotel to your Saves list
Ocean View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1447 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
“Great location and spacious room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here (still here! Last night in LA) for 4 days. The rooms are really spacious!

Front desk staff are really courteous and helpful.

Within walking distance from 3rd street promenade - Nordstrum, Bloomingdales, Sephora, Kitson, Brandy and Melville to name a few.

Great food options, we ate at a taco place which was nice, they have a star bucks close by too.

Santa Monica Pier is pretty much at the door step (you literally cross the road and you're there).

I would come here and stay again. It's excellent value for money.

• Stayed November 2012
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
My name is Michael Torres and I'm the Hotel Manager at the Ocean View Hotel. I recently read your review & wanted to Thank You, for pointing out our exellent service and affordable clean rooms in Santa Monica.

We are committed to doing our very best by providing the highest levels of customer service as well providing clean affordable rooms and cheapest overnight guest parking in Santa Monica. We look forward being your choice of accomadations when you visit Santa Monica in the future.

Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brentwood, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The location is great, within a short walking distance to awesome restaurants, the ocean, Santa Monica Pier, and the Third Street Promenade, but the hotel is in desperate need of a facelift. The paint and carpet was old, hallways dingy, and the bed was in need of being replaced. It felt like an older Holiday Inn to me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear tennisfan1959,

I wanted to Thank you, for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I must agree with you that our location is perfectly situated in Santa Monica. I do disagree in regards to your subjective comments about the paint, carpets, hallways and beds need to get replaced. We are a hotel that takes deep pride in providing each one of our guests clean and very much so affordable accomadations compared to other hotels located on Ocean Avenue. I sure would like the opportunity to speak with you at your earliest convience to make it right with you. Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day!
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I'll admit this review is a little late. We stayed at the Ocean View Hotel in July 2011 for our last night in LA (actually in America, as we headed back home to Australia). I will start with the positives - the rooms were clean, tidy and a great size. The location could not be better (especially for the extremely reasonable price). Unfortunately, the customer service ruined our experience. We arrived at the hotel at about 7.30pm as we'd have a big day sight-seeing around LA. Upon arrival we were told that our booking had been cancelled and they had no rooms available for us. We asked how this had happened considering we had received no phone call whatsoever. The lady called another hotel and told us we could go there, however, it was about 3 times more than Ocean View Hotel and we were on somewhat of a budget. After a couple of hours, the issue was resolved. The hotel told us that rooms were cancelled at 4pm if the guests did not show. At 4.05pm our booking was cancelled. We had not received a phone call. A few days later when I was back on email, I found an email from the day we arrived at the hotel saying they had cancelled our booking. We were on holidays overseas - we do not have internet. We give a phone number as a contact for a reason!!!! Finally, the hotel found us a room, it happened to be the exact one we had booked!! When we went to give details to book in, the lady checking us in had the nerve to promote their new hotel and told us there would be special rates. The next day we checked out and once again she continued to promote the new hotel. We never received any emails, but the point was that we were extremely stressed and she was promoting a new hotel! Anyway, as I said everything about this hotel was great, but it was extremely stressful to find our booking had been cancelled and we had not been contacted. I am not saying don't stay at this hotel, I just think it would be wise to triple check and confirm your booking a few times before arriving!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

My name is Michael Torres and I am the Hotel Manager as of the end of August 2011. I wanted to Thank you, for taking the time our hotel a review of your experience with us. We do our very best to provide each guest a clean and affodable room and we take pride in making sure each guest recieves the highest levels of customer service. I apoligize you felt you did not recieve that during your stay last year with us. I can assure you we have make so many corrective changes to improve all of our guest experiences that stay with us at our hotel. I sure would like the opportunity to have you give us a second chance so we can show you the complete U turn we have made since your last visit with us. Thank you, for staying with us and have a wonderful day!
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our son who lives in LA had recommended staying in Santa Monica on our recent visit. After spending several hours digesting all the reviews on Trip Advisor we chose to stay at the Ocean VIew Hotel for four nights. Before I start my review, let me say I would happily and enthusiastically stay at the Ocean View hotel again. I cannot believe there is a better hotel location wise in the area and the location made up for the other issues we had. Our hotel room was adequate. Clean, big enough, with the basic amenities. The beds were comfortable and we had no issues with sleeping as far as noise etc. The rooms were nothing special or exciting but for us, perfectly fine. There is no refrigerator in the room which would be nice but they did have an ice maker and safe which we used daily. Our garden view room overlooked the parking lot. Many of the rooms had a balcony that overlooked the parking lot - not the ocean. These rooms cost more so if you are getting a balcony room make sure it is towards the ocean, otherwise it is not worth the money. Another issue was you could see into other people's rooms across the small parking lot. It caught many of us off guard as you would be looking out the window and make eye contact with other guests. More than once did someone come out to the balconies unaware others could see them. Very quickly you learn to close your curtains if you are changing, etc. The other issue is parking. It is very tight here but I am sure it's tight everywhere in Santa Monica. We felt it was worth the parking fee to park on site. We walked to many of the local attractions from the hotel, leaving our car parked. The parking has an attendant for safety. An elevator takes you from the below level parking into the hotel. You must use your key card to get on the upper floors of the hotel which we appreciated. The very best part of this hotel is the location. The ocean and park are just across the street. Be sure to allow adequate time to enjoy Santa Monica Pier. We enjoyed it early morning, afternoon and evenings during our stay. We walked from the hotel to Venice Beach one day and it was a very comfortable walk (about 45 minutes one way) along the ocean. The Third Street Promenade (don't miss the street performers here), great shopping and restaurants are only blocks away. So much to do and so little time! We will definitely be back to Santa Monica and will stay at the Ocean View Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
IowaTravelFan,
My name is Michael Torres and I'm the Hotel Manager at the Ocean View Hotel. I recently read your review & wanted to Thank You, for pointing out our exellent location and affordable clean rooms in Santa Monica.

Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been coming to this hotel for many years, always for the American Film Market. Every year it is a great pleasue to come ' Home' at Ocean View Hotel. The staff is very nice, the location is prefect: Near the 3rd street promenade and the new Mall with all its nice bar's and restaurants and ofcourse very near the gorgeous beach. Some of the rooms have a beautiful Ocean view. The rooms are very clean and have a spacious layout, so you can also use the room to work from. The Lobby is a nice place to meet people. An extra point of attraction is the in house Parking, which is very convenient. There is a computer downstairs where you can print out for free your boarding pass which I feel is a really great small but valuable service. I know that next time I will be staying at my favourite Ocean View Hotel!

Room Tip: This hotel is build in a way that you cannot have a bad room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Clandsberger5,
I would like to Thank you, for writing a your review of our hotel. We truly do our very best to make each guest feel at home and I feel very honored we achived that with your stay. Our staff do our very best to make each guest expierence 2nd to none! Our housekeeping team takes deep pride on making sure each guest room meets the highest expectaions to ensure all of our guests have a clean and comfortable experience with us. We look forward serving you in whenever you return to Santa Monica in the future.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel. We got the king sized bed with the ocean view and were not disappointed. When we first checked in, we were a little concerned by the hallways, they were very dirty, but the next day the carpets were being cleaned and looked much better later! Overall, a good stay. A little pricey, but still nice, and considering the location was not overpriced. Keep in mind that an additional cost of parking is $20/day. On the plus side, we didn't realize it until our last night that there is some amazing shopping just one block behind! Also, this was one of the quietest hotels we've ever stayed at. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely chose an ocean view room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Tamara C,
I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your beutiful Ocean View room with us. We strive to ensure every guest is 100% satisfied with there room accomadations with us. Although our overnight car parking is $20.00 per night I can assure you it is the most affordable overnight car parking for hotels on Ocean Avenue. Thank you, for pointing out our exellent location which we are located with in a minute walk from the Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica Place Mall and The world famous 3rd Street Promonade. I look forward having you and the guest you recommend, staying with us in the future.
Vista, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We enjoyed staying at the Ocean View hotel in SM. Friendly staff (Joy and Jose were very helpful). The close proximity to the 3rd Street Promenade, the beach and the SM pier is great. I'd recommend it!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Spicerconant,

My name is Michael Torres and I am the General Manager at Ocean View Hotel. I am very greatful you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you, for pointing out Joy and Jose outstanding service. Our entire hotel pride ourselves on exellent customer service and providing clean affordable rooms in Santa Monica. I hope the next time you visit Santa Monica we will be your choice to stay. Thank you, and have a wonderful day!

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!