“Great location and good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1447 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Sydney, Australia
“Great location and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

If you are looking for a clean, comfortable hotel in a great location & at a reasonable price, then this is it. Rooms are basic, but well maintained and well equipped (with in room iron & board, hair dryer and safe, the essentials are covered). The rooms are small, but adequate if you really just want a place to shower and sleep. The two beds in our room were described as 'doubles', but I would call them 'Hollywood Doubles' - these are smaller than the Australian-standard double bed. The rooms are built around an internal 'courtyard', but really this is a car park with a few plants. We didn't pay for a room for a view, so we were okay with this. We found the hotel to be quiet, although we purposely asked for a room at the back of the hotel away from the road (the ocean view rooms are roadside). The staff were helpful and friendly. The biggest selling point for this hotel is it's location, right across the road from Santa Monica Beach, easy walking distance to the Pier and the Third Street Promenade shops & eateries. Santa Monica is a family-friendly area with plenty to keep the kids entertained.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
I am very greatful you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you, for pointing out our great location in Santa Monica which is a minute walk to the 3rd Street Promanade, Santa Monica Place Mall and The famous Santa Monica Beach Pier aswell our affordable room rates. On behalf of the entire Ocean View Hotel team, we look forward serving you in the future!

Michael Torres
Rooms Division Manager
Ocean View Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
brisbane, qld
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

After hours of trip advisor research, I decided on two rooms for our family of 5 (traveling with 3 teenaged daughters). We arrived at 11am after a 13 hour flight from Brisbane and checked in straight away. The rooms were large, clean and as I expected. This was our first stop of 2 week family trip and I could not have been happier.
We were able to check in early, the reception staff were very nice and the rooms were what I had asked for ( I had requested via email directly to hotel that our rooms were to be close together).

The location was great easy walking to the main shopping area and food & easy walk across to the Pier. The bus stop 1 block up and rather than do a bus tour, we caught the local bus down Santa Monica Bld to Hollywood.

Great start to our holiday!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
mtorres1, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
My name is Michael Torres and I'm the Rooms Division Manager at the Ocean View Hotel. I recently read your review. I was very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are committed to doing our very best by providing the highest levels of customer service and clean affordable rooms. We look forward being your choice of accomadations when you visit Santa Monica in the future.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

This is our second stay at Ocean View Hotel and it never seems to fail, The service is always amazing the front desk staff are always go above and beyond, The rooms are really clean and the location is amazing right near the pier and central to restaurants, shops and a beautiful view of the beach it's amazing in winter and just can't imagine it in summer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
My name is Michael Torres and I'm the Rooms Division Manager at the Ocean View Hotel. I wanted to Thank You, for pointing out our great location in Santa Monica.

We are committed to doing our very best by providing the highest levels of customer service and clean affordable rooms. We look forward hopefully being your choice of accomadations when you visit Santa Monica in the future.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

When we arrived we stayed at a room with no sea view, as we have booked. However, this kind of room has view to the parking lot, and you can barely open the window. We asked to change room and we made an upgrade next night to a ocean view room, which was great. The view was spetacular and the rest was ok. Cleaning was ok. No breakfast. Parking is available but expensive. Location was great.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear Nenhum_11,

We are committed to doing our very best by providing the highest levels of customer service and clean affordable rooms and the cheapest hotel parking on Ocean Avenue. We look forward being your choice of accomadations when you visit Santa Monica in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012 via mobile

We originally were booked for 3 nights but happily extended our stay for 2 more nights due to the day of action in the UK.
We had an ocean facing room which I would definitely recommend and although we did worry the noise might keep us awake the outside sounds weren't a problem---- sadly there were some very noisy guests ( which, of course, you can find anywhere ) .
The hotel is fantastic value for its situation and although it is a little tired looking and a lot of the furnishings could do with upgrading the staff more than make up for any failings--especially the Dynamic Duo of Joy and Jose on the front desk. What a credit they are to the company .
We would definitely choose this hotel if back in Santa Monica .

• Stayed November 2011
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
Dear Margaret383, My name is Michael Torres and I'm the Rooms Division Manager at the Ocean View Hotel. I recently read your review & wanted to Thank You, for pointing out our exellent customer service you recieved from Joy and Jose.

We are committed to doing our very best by providing the highest levels of customer service as well providing clean affordable rooms. We look forward hopefully being your choice of accomadations when you visit Santa Monica in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed at the Ocean View hotel at the end of December 2011. The other reviews are correct that the hotel is dated and the parking can be tight. The room that we stayed in was clean though.

We looked at the room before renting it as we will not stay in a dirty hotel. The room that we stayed in was on the fourth floor and had a great view of the beach and the pier. We really enjoyed our sunset views while getting ready for dinner and the night time view of all of the lights on the pier. The bed was comfortable and we were not disturbed by any road or hallway noise. My wife is 5 months pregnant and is a light sleeper but she slept great at this hotel.

The location is great, you can easily walk from the hotel to the pier or the third Ave shopping
area. When you are getting a room with such a great location and view for this price, I expect the hotel to be a little dated. We are very happy with our decision to stay here and would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
mtorres1, Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
My name is Michael Torres and I'm the Rooms Division Manager at the Ocean View Hotel. I recently read your review.I was very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day!
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

I chose this hotel because of its location and value for money & paid the extra for an ocean view room. Upon arrival I was told Ocean View rooms had sold out - even though I had prepaid my night in full! I was offered free carparking in the already full carpark instead. The non-ocean view room was dated, with lots of noise and poor security. The location was the only thing going for this hotel, but there are many hotels in a similar location - I would strongly recommend going with one of them.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Michael Torres, I am the Rooms Division Manager at the Ocean View Hotel as of the end of August 2011. I recently read your review and wanted to first apologize for what occurred during your stay with us in May 2011.

Please allow us the opportunity to fix this with you as well by letting me know at your earliest convenience what we can do at this point to make you feel better your stay here. We are committed to our guest's satisfaction and take these matters very seriously.

We want to earn your business back by any means necessary and will look forward to your highly anticipated reply.

Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day!

Michael Torres
Rooms Division Manager

Been to Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!