“Great location, tired hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ocean Lodge Hotel
1667 Ocean Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #28 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location, tired hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

If your first priority is easy access to Santa Monica pier & beach, this hotel is a good choice. If your first priority is a nice, up to date room, maybe look elsewhere on the Avenue. The beds are OK, the parking is OK, the air con is OK, but the prices are fairly steep for what is just an 'OK' hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for a week and had a fantastic time there. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. Obviously it's not a five-star hotel, but for what you pay you get a nice place. The staff were super friendly and domestic staff did a good job cleaning my room everyday. It is in a great location to both the Santa Monica Pier and the downtown shops.

Next time I am in Santa Monica I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Monterey, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband, myself and our three teenage grandchildren were supposed to stay at this DUMP for 5 nights, but after only one night we quickly checked out and went to the Hotel California across the street. the 2 bedroom suite was horrible. The smell was unbearable- very moldy. The main bedroom was a postage stamp. My husband had to crawl n and out of the bed from the bottom of the bed because there was only enough room to get out on one side. The shower was out of a "PSYCHO" movie. The rooms were VERY small and between that and the smell we opted to LEAVE the VERY NEXT MORNING. My kids usually don't complain but they said they couldn't stay in that moldy environment and I couldn't stay in that claustrophobic room another night. I am only glad that they took the first nights room automatically because we were supposed to stay longer and they asked me to pay for the whole stay when we checked in late that Monday night. I had not seen the SUITE (Laugh) yet. I was tired and my back was hurting from the long drive from Monterey so I said that I would give them the card the next day. THANK GOD for little favors. We went to check out at 9 am the next morning but there was no one in the lobby so we just left our keys in the check out bin. Believe me, I have NEVER BEEN IN SUCH A DUMP IN MY LIFE. Granted this was not a 5 star hotel but the one across the street, the Hotel California is the same quality of hotel and MUCH NICER AND MORE SPACIOUS and also MUCH CLOSER TO THE PIER AND BOARDWALK - only STEPS away.

Room Tip: There is NO room that could overcome the stench of mustiness and mold
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel almost everytime I come to the LA/Santa Monica area. I love the simplicity of it and the location is perfect. It is so close to the beach and all kinds of shopping and great places to eat.

The staff is knowledgeable of the area and very friendly.

The rooms have everything I need.

If you are looking for a nice beach hotel this is the place!

• Stayed November 2012
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The location of the hotel is just blocks from the Santa Monica Pier. Walking to the pier is perfect. The hotel staff are always inviting and helpful. They have gone through recent renovations that make it a jewel in Santa Monica. You are literally within walking distance of some fabulous restaurants, bars and the Third Street Promenade, all of which you should visit if you are visiting in Santa Monica for more than a day.

Have used the Ocean Lodge for years for visitors who come into town because they always want to stay close to the Ocean on the days I work during their visit. I have never had any reason to consider changing plans for future guests.

Stay, stay, go back and stay again. If you are a tourist in Los Angeles, great place to land because you are located close to everything, especially the Beach.

Room Tip: The beach is the swimming pool and the Santa Monica Pier is there for your kids activities. You will...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Santa Monica is a great place to stay in Los Angeles.Ocean lodge is located just few steps from the beach, right across the famous Santa Monica Pier, 5 minute walk from a nice promenade with shops and restaurants.The lodge has very nice, clean rooms.It's not the cheapest place to stay in LA but it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed April 2013
Los Gatos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

When I made the reservation the person on the phone did tell me about the construction going on next door but it stopped at 5PM and started at 7AM and that was not a problem for me. But what she did not tell me was that the street noise is a problem all night long. I wore earplugs but still could hear the loud traffic passing the hotel all night. In addition, there are bright lights outside and no blackout curtains so it is like daylight in the room all night. Lastly, the air conditioning stopped working in the night (it is cool outside but very warm inside...too warm for comfortable sleeping) and I could not get it started again so I opened the bathroom window to get some air in and that worked but only increased the street noise and light in the room.
As the other reviewers noted, this is otherwise just a basic low-end accommodation with a higher than usual price tag for the conditions.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ocean Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!