“Great location, very good rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Lodge Hotel
1667 Ocean Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Prague, Czech Republic
“Great location, very good rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Santa Monica is a great place to stay in Los Angeles.Ocean lodge is located just few steps from the beach, right across the famous Santa Monica Pier, 5 minute walk from a nice promenade with shops and restaurants.The lodge has very nice, clean rooms.It's not the cheapest place to stay in LA but it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Los Gatos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

When I made the reservation the person on the phone did tell me about the construction going on next door but it stopped at 5PM and started at 7AM and that was not a problem for me. But what she did not tell me was that the street noise is a problem all night long. I wore earplugs but still could hear the loud traffic passing the hotel all night. In addition, there are bright lights outside and no blackout curtains so it is like daylight in the room all night. Lastly, the air conditioning stopped working in the night (it is cool outside but very warm inside...too warm for comfortable sleeping) and I could not get it started again so I opened the bathroom window to get some air in and that worked but only increased the street noise and light in the room.
As the other reviewers noted, this is otherwise just a basic low-end accommodation with a higher than usual price tag for the conditions.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a really lousy hotel. In the middle of a construction site, gravel crowded parking lot shared with a noisy restaurant, dumpy, damp, shabby rooms. Street and neighbor noise all night long. They'd get $65 a night sao webers else, maybe; instead, they charged us $169 plus a parking fee! Bad water pressure too and no one home when we needed towels 15 minutes after checking in. Don't stay here.

• Stayed March 2013
jersey city, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Since it's not hard to find $350 hotels in Santa Monica, Ocean Lodge should be viewed in its proper context, financially speaking. It seems overpriced yet is lower than pretty much anything else. Perhaps less forgivable than the low-$100something room rates is the $20 parking fee.

I don't mind low-end accommodations. I'm not counting the threads on the sheets. But I would have liked better water pressure.

The main caveat is the ongoing construction. This makes accessing the place difficult and can lead to noisy mornings.

The office people and housekeepers were very helpful and friendly.

If your last trip was to a hostel you'll be fine here, and the location is excellent, but don't even expect Best Western-levels of glamour.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here in feb 2013, we arrived a little late at 9 pm and there was nobody available in the front desk; the whole office was closed and an envelope was kept with our name on it which had keys and instructions.

When booking this hotel, be sure to consider 20$ per night parking fees ( which we thought was outrageous)

The room itself was no fuss, ok types. It was decent but don't expect any luxuries. The room did not have a microwave. When we entered the room, the first thought came to my mind "Wow that is a lot of money for this room" so all the money you are paying is only for location ( it is upwards of 120$)

But make no mistake, the location of this hotel is absolutely ideal for santa monica beach. Just cross the road and you arrive on the beach.

Note: No breakfast here...

Room Tip: Try to get a room upstairs otherwise a lot of noise from the nearby bar.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Middletown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel four times over the past 7 years, with my most recent stay having been in late 2011. (I would have sworn that I had left a review for this hotel in Dec. 2011 on TripAdvisor, but, if so, all traces of it have completely disappeared from the site. ...!). I like this hotel, as may be obvious from the fact that I have chosen, each tie that I have visited Santa Monica, to stay here; each stay was for about 10 days.

While this is definitely not a fancy downtown hotel (and, if you want that, then stay at a fancy downtown hotel. ...!), nor a sleek fancy modern resort-type hotel, this hotel, in my mind, does a very good job of being a simple, basic, no-frills (well, few frills) good hotel. Best, the rooms (at least the 2nd floor rooms, where I always choose to stay) are bright, sunny and airy!

I made all four of my reservations well in advance of my trip via the hotel's webiste, and, in each case, they fully honored the rather low nightly rate that had been quoted on the website at the time tha tI had made my reservation. I have always found the rooms to be clean and spacious, and totally functional the view to be interesting, and during each of my stays, they always had parking space for my rental car.

Incidentally, I tend to be sensitive to cigarette smoke, and also sensitive to the odors of cleaning chemicals, deodorizing sprays and also to mold or musty odors, and I can happily report that in all of my four stays at this hotel, I have NEVER detected any of these offensive smells (which are quite common in many hotels across the USA) in ANY of the rooms in which I have stayed at this hotel.

I have always found the WiFi to be totally workable in all of the rooms in which I have stayed, although it sometimes gets a bit slow when the hotel is very full and some of the guests start hogging bandwidth with massive downloads, but nonetheless, the WiFi is always workable and adequate.

During my stays here across the years, I have had several friends who have visited me at times while I was staying years at the hotel, and they were all impressed with the hotel; none of them had any criticisms of the hotel, and they all commented favorably about it.

As one final note, which is almost superflous because you likely know this already, the LOCATION is great -- it is but a short walk to the beach and the boardwalk and bike path, and a short walk ot Venice, and a very short walk to the shop/business/restaurant districts in both the southern end of Santa Monica (below the hotel and inland a bit) and the northern end of Santa Monica (to the north of the hotel and inland a bit).

In closing, I will simply say that if and when I need to return to Santa Monica for my next trip, this is the hotel that I will choose for my stay, without hesitation!

Room Tip: Personally, I prefer rooms on the second floor, rather then the ground floor, but there are pluses a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Bochum
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stay here in June 2012 and it was great. To the beach and the Santa Monica Pier 5 min walking. The rooms are verry clean and the beds are good. The price for this location is ok, verry important, parking is free.From the Hotel to the Santa Monica Mall 5 min. to go.We love this Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!