“Repeat Guest-Late 2011 Was My 3rd Stay; Very Good Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Lodge Hotel
1667 Ocean Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Ranked #27 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
Middletown, Maryland
“Repeat Guest-Late 2011 Was My 3rd Stay; Very Good Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel four times over the past 7 years, with my most recent stay having been in late 2011. (I would have sworn that I had left a review for this hotel in Dec. 2011 on TripAdvisor, but, if so, all traces of it have completely disappeared from the site. ...!). I like this hotel, as may be obvious from the fact that I have chosen, each tie that I have visited Santa Monica, to stay here; each stay was for about 10 days.

While this is definitely not a fancy downtown hotel (and, if you want that, then stay at a fancy downtown hotel. ...!), nor a sleek fancy modern resort-type hotel, this hotel, in my mind, does a very good job of being a simple, basic, no-frills (well, few frills) good hotel. Best, the rooms (at least the 2nd floor rooms, where I always choose to stay) are bright, sunny and airy!

I made all four of my reservations well in advance of my trip via the hotel's webiste, and, in each case, they fully honored the rather low nightly rate that had been quoted on the website at the time tha tI had made my reservation. I have always found the rooms to be clean and spacious, and totally functional the view to be interesting, and during each of my stays, they always had parking space for my rental car.

Incidentally, I tend to be sensitive to cigarette smoke, and also sensitive to the odors of cleaning chemicals, deodorizing sprays and also to mold or musty odors, and I can happily report that in all of my four stays at this hotel, I have NEVER detected any of these offensive smells (which are quite common in many hotels across the USA) in ANY of the rooms in which I have stayed at this hotel.

I have always found the WiFi to be totally workable in all of the rooms in which I have stayed, although it sometimes gets a bit slow when the hotel is very full and some of the guests start hogging bandwidth with massive downloads, but nonetheless, the WiFi is always workable and adequate.

During my stays here across the years, I have had several friends who have visited me at times while I was staying years at the hotel, and they were all impressed with the hotel; none of them had any criticisms of the hotel, and they all commented favorably about it.

As one final note, which is almost superflous because you likely know this already, the LOCATION is great -- it is but a short walk to the beach and the boardwalk and bike path, and a short walk ot Venice, and a very short walk to the shop/business/restaurant districts in both the southern end of Santa Monica (below the hotel and inland a bit) and the northern end of Santa Monica (to the north of the hotel and inland a bit).

In closing, I will simply say that if and when I need to return to Santa Monica for my next trip, this is the hotel that I will choose for my stay, without hesitation!

Room Tip: Personally, I prefer rooms on the second floor, rather then the ground floor, but there are pluses a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bochum
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stay here in June 2012 and it was great. To the beach and the Santa Monica Pier 5 min walking. The rooms are verry clean and the beds are good. The price for this location is ok, verry important, parking is free.From the Hotel to the Santa Monica Mall 5 min. to go.We love this Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Hardy, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

When my daughter and I walked into the room, we were horrified. Not worth the $180 they wanted. We left right away and went elsewhere. Had to do some talking to get my card credited but finally they did it. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are way nicer hotels down the street for a little more but totally worth it.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you pay for it...most pictures in their ads are not true...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco East Bay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Floor in bathroom seemed dirty. Paint/paper was chipped and ripped. When i booked the room i was told it was completely . renovated in the past 2 or 3 months. Obviously it wasn't. Rooms were so small it was hard to maneuver around the family's suitcases. And to top it off there were jackhammers pounding outside our room starting at 7 am. We only made the reservation a week or two ago. We should have been warned about the construction.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The rooms here are clean and large. The establishment itself looks pretty dated from the outside, but considering most people here are tourists and will spend the majority of their time outside of the rooms, it doesn't really matter. It is about a 5 minute walk from Santa Monica pier which is great. A little far to walk to Venice Beach - so in my case, I stayed one night here and one night further south which enabled me to walk around more easily.

One thing to keep in mind is that as of 27 July, 2012, there is construction going on in the surrounding blocks. I was woken up quite early by a jackhammer out the front, which persisted for over an hour before I had to checkout and leave - it was seriously loud. Of course, this is not the hotels fault and does not reflect badly on them, however if you enjoy a sleep in, it is worth keeping this in mind if you are planning on staying in the near future. For that reason, I still rate them 5 stars as this is beyond their control.

I consider this place very expensive by most standards, but considering the prices of other places in Santa Monica, this is one of the two cheapest options in the entire area, so definitely worth your consideration.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed here the end of May, the accommodation was basic but clean, staff were friendly and attentive, location is Perfect for Santa Monica - walking distance from the Pier and the shopping mall. We would stay here again but think it may be knocked down like all the other premises that are being knocked down and rebulit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We just returned from Santa Monica and stayed at the Ocean Lodge Motel for four nights. We had a very nice stay and our room was clean and just what we expected. We like staying at family run hotels so we were very pleased with our accommodations. The room was small but we weren't there to stay in the room. We we across the street from Lowes and the pier. The bed was comfortable and our room was quiet. The staff was very nice. We would definitely stay again. Our room was updated and they were working on other rooms while we were there. If you are looking for a high end hotel, this isn't it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ocean Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!