“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Water grill santa monica

Water grill santa monica
1401 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA
310-394-5669
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Water grill santa monica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 573 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Airdrie, Alberta
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

On a recent trip to Santa Monica we found ourselves looking for a place to eat along Ocean Ave.
Tired from a long flight and hungry for something that was better than average, we found ourselves at the Water Grill.
We were greeted promptly as we entered. We asked to view the menu and the gentleman at the door was eager to explain the vaious selections on the menu.
That was what prompted us to ask for a table.
We were seated immediately and from that point on everything was superb.
The food, drinks and service were exceptional. So much so that we went back again the two days later for dinner again.
Considering the nubmer of restaurants in the area and the fact we were only in Santa Monica for three nights, that says something.

On the first visit my wife had the Fijian Albacore Tuna Nicoise Salad, and I had Wild Pacific Swordfish.
Outstanding!!
The next visit was clams, mussells, and oysters. You can never eat too many fresh oysters.
The oysters were outstanding and our waiter took the time to explain the different varieties available.

If you do not visit this restaurant while in Santa Monica, you are going to be missing out on a real treat.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York, NY
“great food and service; wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We ate in Santa Monica at the Water Grill, and our waiter, Adam, was helpful and efficient.
The food was spectacular. We started with a couple of the salads and a uni on toast, and for mains my wife had cioppino with shrimps, crab and lobster and a wonderful tomato based sauce and I had the best black cod with miso ever. Dessert was a pear financier that was the best ending to a meal we have ever had. The bread was wonderful, especially a second serving that had cheese baked into it. A wonderful experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“A bit more like a bar than a restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We were a bit disappointed to be honest.

I haven't been to the Downtown version and was advised that we would get a sea view at this restaurant so travelled quite a distance. When we arrived for dinner we couldn't see the ocean at all There is no formal dining room, it's more like a bar surrounded by tables. I asked to be seated upstairs in the dining room and found that the open plan ground floor was it, there is no upstairs and no view. Servers were wearing jeans, I felt like a bit of fool dressed for dinner.

However, if you're looking for a lively bar with a great wine list then I can highly recommend this spot.

Service was very nice, no complaints on that front and the servers were helpful in explaining the menu and checking on our table.

On to the dinner. I ordered fish, which was kind of bland and forgettable. Triple cooked chips were burnt, when I pointed this out to the server the said they were supposed to look that was and were triple cooked for crispiness. Honestly they just tasted burnt and I sent them back. Maybe just cook them twice? Three times seems a bit unnecessary.

My friends ordered shellfish platters which were much much better. The oysters were delicious and came with a great selection of sauces, we tried sea urchin which we haven't had before. The lobster was a little chewy but was tasty.

If I was staying in Santa Monica I might drop by for a couple of drinks and a light dinner one night but it's not really somewhere to go for a special occasion.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
LA
“A little Dissapointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Our first time here after having dined at the original downtown outpost on several occasions.
We came for lunch and while most things were OK it did not live up to a higher expectation that I had as world class type of rest. which can be said of the L.A. location.
I found the layout odd as it did not utilize the ocean views to its advantage. The window banquettes were against the inner wall thus the view was into the rest. rather than towards the ocean. Staff were nice but maybe a little less than crisp.
As for food: Oysters very, very, good. Chilled shrimp-average. Manilla clams-not good, thick cream and bacon sauce rather than a traditional broth base. Sea bass and Halibut very, nice as was the coleslaw, fries looked better than they tasted.
Good wine list plus no corkage fee!!
Desserts of cheesecake and bread pudding were good and in particular the salty caramel ice-cream which accompanied one of them.
Overall as stated good, particularly if in the area, however, would not make it a destination but would definitely give it a second chance.
BTW, after we ate we strolled around the area and then when returning for the car, ($8 valet w/ validation) stopped back in to use the restroom when our server saw me and advised we left our credit card behind. Since they have our phone #, why not call upon first learning?

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Energetic Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The food was fantastic with outstanding culinary preparation options. We completely enjoyed the wait staff---they were WONDERUL! It is located right next door to THE GEORGIAN HOTEL-where we stayed! Awesome!

Visited March 2014