“I just wish I had planned to stay longer” 5 of 5 stars

Palihouse Santa Monica
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 3rd Street, Santa Monica, CA 90403   |
Ranked #9 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
Bellflower, California
“I just wish I had planned to stay longer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

First off I have to say this place is more like an apartment building with AMAZING rooms. This is NOT your TYPICAL chain hotel. Every room is like a studio apartment. The whole experience was SUPERB. I NEVER write reviews but I just felt that I had to for this one.

My girlfriend and I went on our first "getaway" and we chose Santa Monica because its not too far from home but far enough to still be a vacation. So we wanted to be close to 3rd street Promenade, the Pier, etc....

So begins the review...

The Staff:
The manager (Brigitta) was by far the friendliest of all hotel staff that I have encountered. She greeted us kindly and recommended a great Italian restaurant on 3rd street. She provided a parking pass that allowed us to park over night (more on that later). The front desk is only open until 8pm but she kindly called me at 6 pm to make sure i was coming in before 8. If not than she would make arrangements for check in. She explained the late check in process which seemed very easy (although we got in on time). GREAT 5 Stars

The Room:
We apparently got an upgrade to a bigger suite with a kitchen. Apparently when I called in the General Manager gave us the bigger room at the price of a regular room. As I said the hotel is like an apartment building. We walk in to see a BIG room with a queen size bed, a couch, a 32 inch flat screen, HUGE walk in closet, nice sized bathroom, and around the corner was a full kitchen (stove, microwave, fridge and it was no mini-fridge, and full of dishware even pots and pans). Everything was VERY clean. Bed was super comfortable, sheets clean, and bedding was VERY soft. Think of it as a a big studio apartment. EXCELLENT 5 Stars

The Location:
Brigitta gave us directions on how to get there and we found it easily enough. We DID get lucky with parking, and found a spot across the street from the hotel. There is no parking structure or anything so that was a bit of a draw back. She immediately gave us a parking pass so we would not get a ticket (you must have a permit to park after a certain time). So basically the hotel is on 3rd street 2 BLOCKS from the PROMENADE. A SUPER easy walk. From there everything is within walking distance.
GREAT 4 Stars (parking situation a little tough but we got lucky)

The Value:
To be honest, I did A LOT of research on looking for a hotel for my girlfriend and I to stay at in Santa Monica. And all of the hotels were within the $150 - $300 a night range. I found this AMAZING place for $200 for the night. And for that price we got a BIG studio apartment to stay in. I'm sure that says A LOT more than your STANDARD hotel would give you for $50 less. I'm pretty sure your standard hotel would give you a small room with just a bed and a bathroom for $150/night. So the value for being at the HEART of Santa Monica was great.
AMAZING 5 Stars

STAY IF
you want:
QUIET, COMFORT, a lot of SPACE, CLEANLINESS, a great LOCATION

DO NOT STAY IF
you want:
To PARTY with lots of FRIENDS at the hotel, 24 hour ROOM SERVICE, full sized Pool, Bar in hotel.

The Bottom Line:
Great place if your going on a romantic outing, or just need a place to stay to enjoy yourself. Don't get me wrong... my girlfriend and I DID PARTY. We went clubbing and drinking, but we came back to our small apartment for the night and did our own "partying" heh heh... It is not recommended for a group outing of clubbing and drinking. For that I'd recommend staying at one of the big chain hotels.

PHEW..... ;)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

384 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Burke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

I love, love, love this place! My husband and I always book suites when we travel because we like to have a kitchenette.

Our room at Embassy Hotel Apartments was just perfect. The main room consisted of a queen-size bed, a writing desk (with internet connection), a cushy chair, and a couch, coffee table and TV that were on one side to create a small living room area. The kitchenette was a separate room (with french doors). It has all you need, including a small fridge, stove, and dining table.

The bathroom and vanity area were in separate rooms also. The room is old and has beautiful woodwork and big, airy windows. The ceilings are high and our room was filled with pleasant, sun-dabbled light. We only stayed here for two nights, but wish it had been a whole week. The staff is friendly and personable, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Will only stay here when we're in Santa Monica.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010 via mobile

Where to start? Real old LA. Incredibly lovely spacious apartments. Immaculately clean.

More than what you need to eat in. Walking distance to take out.

Fecund gardens and courtyards. Right in the heart of everything.

Service that surpassed expectations.

I left clothes in room (purely my fault). Brigitta did everything to fix including phoning me after we left.

Walking distance to Promenade, Pier and jetty.

If I won the lottery I would disappear here.

Truly.

• Stayed October 2010
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Back from just over 2 weeks in California, this is the first of the 6 or 7 hotels I stayed in. Spent 4 lovely nights relaxing here.
Did not have car & walked to pier every morning. Watching lovely ladies of all ages running up & down the footpaths, some with dogs in tow - definitely a highlight !!!

Maybe it was the gorgeous scenery, the location, the very friendly staff as mentioned in previous posts & the ease of access to other parts of LA - this hotel rang my bell & is by far the most memorable one i stayed in & I stayed in 4 star hotels every night.

Stayed 1 night in Santa Monica in another hotel location south of the pier. That hotel was nice enough, but from my point of view was not in a good location even though closer to beach + pier. ( I will let you guess what that hotel is lol )

I would stay at Embassy Hotel Apts again without any doubt. I will post my views on Santa Monica & Los Angeles very soon. Obviously my first impression was real good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Buderim, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I'd stay again. Thea & Joshua were fantastically accommodating and helpful with local pointers. Unlike other reviewers I had no issues with cleanliness. The older charm and quiet nature were really appealing and give a real point of difference.

Just a couple of (small) blocks walk to anything you need - and even less far to a sensational coffee (tip: turn left out of the hotel and it's the first cafe on the left).

I'll be back - maybe with the family ;)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
LEICESTER, ENGLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

We had two nights here while travelling down the west coast and would highly recommend, it is great value for it's location and is within easy access to all LA has to offer. The beach & pier, shopping and good restaurants are all within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Based on the positive reviews, we booked a Studio Suite for my birthday weekend. The building’s exterior looked promising, but the interior was dark with threadbare furnishing and absolutely filthy carpeting. The large size of our suite did not make up for the uncomfortable mattress and itchy bed sheets! I was happy to leave for Santa Barbara the next day!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Palihouse Santa Monica? Share your experiences!