“Unique hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Unique hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights in July 2013. Beautiful restoration of an old hotel. There are not many of these classic LA buildings. My friend in Hollywood lives in a building that's almost identical to this hotel. The way the kitchen, bathrooms and windows are set up.

Beautiful rooms, amazing Apple wifi router in each room. Nice desks. Great beds and bathrooms.

Since it's situated in a neighborhood setting, the hotel is truly relaxing. Just far away enough from the busy section of 3rd st promenade.

If you want a unique hotel experience and almost taken back in time, you should stay here at least once if you travel to Santa Monica.

Room Tip: Junior suite was really nice. If you can get the one with a balcony, it's worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear JAELEEAHP,

Thank you for your four star review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Palihouse Santa Monica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

As cool as they try to be, it's a hotel squeezed into an old building in a residential neighborhood. When I arrived, the valet parking was full, so I had to come inside and for a $200 hold on my credit card they gave me a parking pass so I could circle the block seven times to find parking. They gave me a very upgraded room, which I really appreciate...although it made me concerned for what a non-upgraded room was like. It appears that they invested a lot to have hip, new furnishings, but they still have single pane windows which provide no soundproofing, no AC so it was stuffy at night, and the smallest bathroom and strangest tub/shower situation I have ever seen. Overall, I just didn't find this to be a convenient and comfortable place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Minibarmuncher,

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you had so many challenges with valet parking. Please note that we are continuing to improve that service daily. While we are pleased to hear that we were able to offer you an upgrade, we are sorry to hear that you didn’t find your accommodations to be acceptable. We definitely offer a unique and very special product and it is clearly not for everyone. Nonetheless, we all appreciate you giving us an opportunity and greatly appreciate your business. Thank you, again

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

If you like history, if you like quirk, if you like Santa Monica, if you like that old-school but slightly updated Hollywood feeling, then this hotel is for you. Two blocks from the beach, the Palihouse puts you in a creative-relaxed mood the minute you walk through the gates.

It's not for everyone. If you need a fast-fast-fast business hotel with all the amenities, then you might not like this. But if you like character and style and you like a hotel that is unique to itself, then try this place. Friendly staff, delicious food, the coolest hang-out lobby in LA, it's just awesome. I want to move in and live there.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom residence is massive, comfy, and peaceful.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear JordanScott,

Thank you for your five-star review! We are so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and we are already looking forward to your next stay with us.

Cheers!
Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I only experienced one night at this lovely old hotel and it was well worth the stay. My first night in America (first trip) and I couldn't have been more pleased with my garden view room. A friend living in southern California recommended the hotel prior to me spending the second night with them in their home. What a great spot 3rd Street was a great spot and so close for walking to the shops - I had a delicious lunch at Nordstroms - very entertaining! The pier was also somewhere I walked to - after flying for 14 hours from Brisbane, Australia, the opportunity to do some good walking was really appreciated.

Room Tip: My room on the ground floor overlooking the entry garden was perfect.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Margaret M,

Thank you for your five-star review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that we were able to start your holiday off in such a great way. We all look forward to having you stay with us again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

We spent 5 nights at the Palihouse at the end of our 4 week trip. Friendly staff and the quiet and even so central location close to Third Street Pomenade and coast line make this stylisch Hotel an absolute recommendation. Rates within normal range for a City hotel. The fact that there is no aircondition available in the room was not a problem as it was end of September and the nights comfortable with temperatures around 15 degrees Celsius. An open window is no problem in this qiet area. The only thing we have to complain is that as our room was close to the Hotel lounge it was sometimes a bit noisy when people were speakink loudly late in the night. Luckily that was just once the case and ended after a short time.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Stefan S,

Thank you for your four star review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure having you. On your next trip we will hopefully be able to find a bit quieter of a room. We look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you again for the review.

Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I usually say there is always room for improvement, but we were so impressed with our stay at the Palihouse in Santa Monica that we find it difficult to see much of anything wrong.
The property was really a nice place. We prefer to avoid the big box hotel chains like Hyatt and Marriott and opt for the smaller classic places that reflect a character of an earlier time.
The Palihouse Santa Monica reminded me somewhat of the Iroquois in NYC where James Dean lived for a while. It at least seemed to be in the same class. Although Manhattan has much smaller room space as compared to the Palihouse.
The lobby was a nice sitting area with large tables and chairs, all solid along with a fireplace. However, we really enjoyed the outdoor sitting areas, and in the early evenings we took advantage of the private area out back where we could relax with a bottle of wine and bread.

The Room -- Our spacious studio appeared to have either a 12 foot ceiling or something close to it, and everything in it was high quality from the kitchen ware to the toilet. The doors and walls seemed solid.
The bathroom reminded me of circa 1950s and the tiles and fixtures all looked new and spotless. The toilet was American Standard and I haven't seen one that solid since the 1960's. The shower was a large full flow rain head that actually made taking a shower quicker. The bed was firm yet soft and very comfortable. The table and desk while simple were heavy and solid. The vanity area was a nice plus for my wife. There were two large closets yet one was plenty to contain our belongings. The added shelf space was a nice addition as well as the ironing board and iron.
The kitchenette appeared to have solid new appliances. Everything in it looked untouched. The fridge held a variety of drinks. We did request a coffee maker and we were brought a nice Cuisinart one. The tableware was spotless and solid. There were several types of glass ware, all spotless, heavy and for most drink types. When you have a certain drink you want a certain glass and they seemed to have most of them. And someone came every day and took care of any used dishes, made the bed and replaced any used towels and soaps in the bathroom.

The Staff -- The staff we feel were very professional, helpful and had a pleasant attitude. That is going out of style, but that is very important to us and probably a lot of other people.
The manager of the hotel was very courteous and assisted us with directions to Warner Bros. He was spot on with the directions and travel times and I was glad I asked him about this. He was so approachable I had thought maybe he was one of the other guests. The young guy at the front desk (I believe his name is Dan) was an excellent host. He upgraded our room to a King from a Queen studio. I thought that was an excellent move. He was very helpful and always recognized me and said hello when he saw me and asked if everything was ok. He was also good at providing directions to the airport. Sara and Mark working the bar area in the lobby assisted us with wine glasses and plates for our evening time we spent with our wine and bread in the outdoor area. They were both very helpful and we enjoyed talking to them. We understand that the bar is not wet at this time but it is what it is and that was ok. Mark brought us breakfast one morning in the room and everything delivered was excellent. I know some about cooking and there was some thought put into those scrambled eggs. One suggestion though; a little jam would be a nice addition for the toast.
The valets were Johnny on the job when it came to getting our car or moving our luggage. They too did their jobs well with a good attitude.

Overall our stay at Palihouse Santa Monica was very nice and I would hesitate on taking a chance on staying anywhere else if I were to ever return to that area. I believe it is a very good value.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear keenLandTraveler,

Thank you for your five star review. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the property so much. We have taken great care in the design and functionality of the hotel. It is our ultimate goal to offer you an unforgettable experience in an amazing environment. I know that the staff at Palihouse Santa Monica always strives to offer the best service. It is fantastic to know that this is the experience that we were able to provide. I will definitely pass on this review to Dan, Sara, Mark and all of the staff and congratulate them on a job well done. Thank you for staying with us and for giving us an amazing review. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you ever wanted to stay in a hostel in Antwerp but didn't have the time, then try the Palihouse in Santa Monica. An old-gray mare of a building that is musty, dusty and downright rusty. The interior design offers some character -- clever on occasion but, rare occasions. (Although, I turned over the oil painting of the teenager portrait; I just had to, it was weird!) The location is solid..close to lots of Santa Monica attractions, the beach and Brentwood. Like any hispter spot, the staff is light on service and heavy on attitude. The valet parking was comical. It only works after 7am so, my 5am request for car led me to a 4-block walk in the dark thru town to a gated parking lot. $36 and, it became self-service and ridic. No other amenities or services here, which you could find elsewhere and should. No gym, no restaurant, no drinks and no air conditioning either. Bathrooms are functional and old-school, as long as you don't need to rotate your body 360-degrees. No room for that. For reals. I'd throw a party in the lobby, with its Harvard frat house 1962-inspired decor. Sweet. But, for another night in West LA, I'd pass on the pale and stay somewhere in the post-JFK era.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize that you had some challenges with our parking. We are working to improve the parking situation. In regards to the design, we definitely have our own unique style, and we don’t claim to be for everyone. We hope you had a safe trip back to Boise, Idaho.

Finest regards,
Palihouse Santa Monica

Been to Palihouse Santa Monica? Share your experiences!