“Lovely and quiet City Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Palihouse Santa Monica to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 3rd Street, Santa Monica, CA 90403   |
Ranked #7 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
“Lovely and quiet City Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

We spent 5 nights at the Palihouse at the end of our 4 week trip. Friendly staff and the quiet and even so central location close to Third Street Pomenade and coast line make this stylisch Hotel an absolute recommendation. Rates within normal range for a City hotel. The fact that there is no aircondition available in the room was not a problem as it was end of September and the nights comfortable with temperatures around 15 degrees Celsius. An open window is no problem in this qiet area. The only thing we have to complain is that as our room was close to the Hotel lounge it was sometimes a bit noisy when people were speakink loudly late in the night. Luckily that was just once the case and ended after a short time.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Stefan S,

Thank you for your four star review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure having you. On your next trip we will hopefully be able to find a bit quieter of a room. We look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you again for the review.

Finest Regards,

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I usually say there is always room for improvement, but we were so impressed with our stay at the Palihouse in Santa Monica that we find it difficult to see much of anything wrong.
The property was really a nice place. We prefer to avoid the big box hotel chains like Hyatt and Marriott and opt for the smaller classic places that reflect a character of an earlier time.
The Palihouse Santa Monica reminded me somewhat of the Iroquois in NYC where James Dean lived for a while. It at least seemed to be in the same class. Although Manhattan has much smaller room space as compared to the Palihouse.
The lobby was a nice sitting area with large tables and chairs, all solid along with a fireplace. However, we really enjoyed the outdoor sitting areas, and in the early evenings we took advantage of the private area out back where we could relax with a bottle of wine and bread.

The Room -- Our spacious studio appeared to have either a 12 foot ceiling or something close to it, and everything in it was high quality from the kitchen ware to the toilet. The doors and walls seemed solid.
The bathroom reminded me of circa 1950s and the tiles and fixtures all looked new and spotless. The toilet was American Standard and I haven't seen one that solid since the 1960's. The shower was a large full flow rain head that actually made taking a shower quicker. The bed was firm yet soft and very comfortable. The table and desk while simple were heavy and solid. The vanity area was a nice plus for my wife. There were two large closets yet one was plenty to contain our belongings. The added shelf space was a nice addition as well as the ironing board and iron.
The kitchenette appeared to have solid new appliances. Everything in it looked untouched. The fridge held a variety of drinks. We did request a coffee maker and we were brought a nice Cuisinart one. The tableware was spotless and solid. There were several types of glass ware, all spotless, heavy and for most drink types. When you have a certain drink you want a certain glass and they seemed to have most of them. And someone came every day and took care of any used dishes, made the bed and replaced any used towels and soaps in the bathroom.

The Staff -- The staff we feel were very professional, helpful and had a pleasant attitude. That is going out of style, but that is very important to us and probably a lot of other people.
The manager of the hotel was very courteous and assisted us with directions to Warner Bros. He was spot on with the directions and travel times and I was glad I asked him about this. He was so approachable I had thought maybe he was one of the other guests. The young guy at the front desk (I believe his name is Dan) was an excellent host. He upgraded our room to a King from a Queen studio. I thought that was an excellent move. He was very helpful and always recognized me and said hello when he saw me and asked if everything was ok. He was also good at providing directions to the airport. Sara and Mark working the bar area in the lobby assisted us with wine glasses and plates for our evening time we spent with our wine and bread in the outdoor area. They were both very helpful and we enjoyed talking to them. We understand that the bar is not wet at this time but it is what it is and that was ok. Mark brought us breakfast one morning in the room and everything delivered was excellent. I know some about cooking and there was some thought put into those scrambled eggs. One suggestion though; a little jam would be a nice addition for the toast.
The valets were Johnny on the job when it came to getting our car or moving our luggage. They too did their jobs well with a good attitude.

Overall our stay at Palihouse Santa Monica was very nice and I would hesitate on taking a chance on staying anywhere else if I were to ever return to that area. I believe it is a very good value.

Dear keenLandTraveler,

Thank you for your five star review. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the property so much. We have taken great care in the design and functionality of the hotel. It is our ultimate goal to offer you an unforgettable experience in an amazing environment. I know that the staff at Palihouse Santa Monica always strives to offer the best service. It is fantastic to know that this is the experience that we were able to provide. I will definitely pass on this review to Dan, Sara, Mark and all of the staff and congratulate them on a job well done. Thank you for staying with us and for giving us an amazing review. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Finest Regards,
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you ever wanted to stay in a hostel in Antwerp but didn't have the time, then try the Palihouse in Santa Monica. An old-gray mare of a building that is musty, dusty and downright rusty. The interior design offers some character -- clever on occasion but, rare occasions. (Although, I turned over the oil painting of the teenager portrait; I just had to, it was weird!) The location is solid..close to lots of Santa Monica attractions, the beach and Brentwood. Like any hispter spot, the staff is light on service and heavy on attitude. The valet parking was comical. It only works after 7am so, my 5am request for car led me to a 4-block walk in the dark thru town to a gated parking lot. $36 and, it became self-service and ridic. No other amenities or services here, which you could find elsewhere and should. No gym, no restaurant, no drinks and no air conditioning either. Bathrooms are functional and old-school, as long as you don't need to rotate your body 360-degrees. No room for that. For reals. I'd throw a party in the lobby, with its Harvard frat house 1962-inspired decor. Sweet. But, for another night in West LA, I'd pass on the pale and stay somewhere in the post-JFK era.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Santa Monica, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize that you had some challenges with our parking. We are working to improve the parking situation. In regards to the design, we definitely have our own unique style, and we don’t claim to be for everyone. We hope you had a safe trip back to Boise, Idaho.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Pailhouse Santa Monica for 3 nights in September. What a beautiful place with loads of character. All the staff were lovely and super helpful. They have just launched their app Pailfornia which has recommendations of LA restaurants and shopping which we found really useful. Loved our stay here, thanks guys!

Dear SydneyMickandMel,

Thank you so much for your five star review. We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was so great, and even more delighted to hear that our staff was so friendly and helpful. Thank you for also downloading our hotel app, Palifornia. We hope that it provided all of the insider tips of the area that you were looking for. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us on your next visit. We all look forward to your return.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I wanted to fall in love with this property as I travel to LA on business every month for a week and was looking for a new "home away from home" in this area. It was appealing to me because it was apartment-like and when I spend so much time there - that characteristic is important to me! Like other reviewers, the parking situation is near-impossible to manage. I was told they needed to valet far away and to allow 5-10 minutes to retrieve care but it was consistently 25 minutes at least to get car and when in-town for business, I don't have the luxury of such time. I understand it is a issue with the city regulations but it makes for a very challenging stay. The room decor is wonderful but the bathroom shower (in my room) sprayed out over the entire tiny bathroom and created an ever-present smell of must. The no A/C was bearable as I was there on a beautiful cool week but imagine it would be a problem during the hotter months. Lastly, I was overcharged for valet parking nights which they kindly reimbursed. Overall, would recommend of a great lazy beachy weekend which I'm sure it was meant to cater to but there are some improvements that could be made for other travelers.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear stefftravels_12,

Thank you for your review. It is always nice for us to hear from our guests on things that they really loved about our hotel as well as things that need improvement.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with our parking situation. We are working hard to solve the challenges of our parking options, and we are confident that we will be able to offer our guests timely and convenient parking service in the near future. I am also sorry to hear that you were overcharged for parking, but I am glad to that we were able to correct that for you.

Thank you again for your review. We always appreciate all of the feedback that we can get from our guests. It helps us improve and continue to provide an exceptional experience. We hope you will join us again on your next visit to Santa Monica.

Marina del Rey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We loved staying at the Palihouse Hollywood and were so excited to try this place by the beach, especially since it's dog friendly. It's in a gorgeous, historic building in a great location, and it's got great design but the service leaves a lot to be desired. The one or two valets have to park your car miles away, I believe, so even if you call in advance it's unclear if they will be getting your car or just waiting to see you, and then you might still have to wait quite a while for your car. There is no A/C in the building and rooms, and even if people say you don't need A/C by the beach, don't listen. It can get pretty hot in the summer, and we were there during a heat wave and ended up leaving early because of the unbearable heat. There's a cute little kitchenette in the suite, but they weren't able to locate a microwave (that we'd been told we could request) for us even though they offered to microwave our things if we'd like. There's no pool (which would have been good for the heat wave) although I think you can go to the Annenberg beach house) and the gym they have a "deal" with is Equinox, where you can pay $50 for a day pass. (That's the "deal"?) Eventually I believe the kinks will be worked out because the Palihouse is a great chain, maybe the restaurant will be open later than 3pm eventually, but for now it's not up and running in a way that makes sense to seasoned travelers.

Room Tip: We had the nicest room, a two-bedroom suite, and it was a lovely place but too hot -- go in the wint...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cindy C,

Thank you for your review. While I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the design of the hotel, I am sorry to hear that we didn’t offer the level of service that you were expecting. We are working hard to solve the challenges of our parking options, and we are confident that we will be able to offer our guests timely and convenient parking service in the near future.

Upon hearing that we didn’t have a microwave for your stay, we made it a priority to have this service available for all of our guests and I am pleased to report that we have enough coffee makers and microwaves for any guest that would like these amenities in their room.

Thank you again for your review. We hope we can welcome you back again sometime soon so we can show you the continuing improvement to our property.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Palihouse Santa Monica is a gorgeous place. We were greeted by two very friendly girls who checked us in - there was a little hassle with our booking - it had not registered on the system so they gave us an upgrade to a suite! It was the most amazing room and had everything you could want: big TV, Apple TV, Kitchen!, walk in wardrobe, and amazing decor. And the location is just a stones throw away from the main shopping area and beaches of Santa Monica. Would definitely stay again and would recommend to others.

Dear Magser_Bagser,

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and found the room amenities and décor so pleasant. I apologize about the confusion at check in, but I am pleased to hear that we resolved the issue for you. We look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you again.

Palihouse Santa Monica

Been to Palihouse Santa Monica? Share your experiences!