“The Lobster should have better lobster” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Lobster is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 573 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Colorado Ave.
Los Angeles, California
“The Lobster should have better lobster”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

It's at a great location. I like bringing out of town clients here for the view/location. But, I love California spiney lobsters cooked Porto Nuevo style (grilled open face). I've had them at The Lobster twice now and both times I was pretty disappointed. About half of the edible meat was mushy. I'm not sure if it's the quality of the lobster or the cooking of the lobster... But then again it's not my job to figure that out. Others I've dined with have enjoyed their choices so that's why I rate it as average. Again, the location is perfect.

Visited February 2013

Los Angeles, CA
“Great But a Dire Warning !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

There are few dining experiences in all of Los Angeles that can match The Lobster for ambience and food. If they weren't always so busy, Hollywood studios would be using it as a filming location day and night for it's panoramic view from the Palisades and Malibu hills, across the blue Pacific overlooking the carnivalesque Santa Monica Pier, Catalina Island and the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Now ... what happened to me. I was on a first date. We weren't super hungry and thought we'd split an entree to, how shall we say, to take advantage of the view with economic efficiency. The waiter steered us to a seasonal lobster that we could split. The bill arrived and it was just over $330 !!!!! She had ONE glass of wine. I had ONE beer. Whereas we thought we were splitting a half lobster between us, we were splitting a whole lobster. I admit, before we dug in, I should have asked the waiter what was up. It turns out the lobster we ordered was very rare and cost $25 an OUNCE! Each half was 4 1/2 ounces so the lobster alone came to $250. Asparagus was separate. Kale salad, that we split, was separate. They were nice enough to offer me a gift certificate for next time for $50. The moral of the story, if you need glasses to read the menu, use them ... and ask the price upon ordering!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Monica, California
“Great view of the beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

No other restaurant can match the beach view at the Lobster. The entire back and side walls are glass so you get an unobstructed 180 degree view of the beachfront. Sometimes a nice restaurant can seem a little intimidating but everyone was very friendly. The clam chowder was truly exceptional. Everyone was happy with what they ordered and it was an enjoyable atmosphere.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing View – great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Wasn’t too sure what to expect upon our arrival but everything was great! Our server was terrific ~ couldn’t have asked for a nicer, friendly, or knowledgeable server! From start, wine and oyster, to finish everything was great!

Visited March 2013
“What a place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

What a view of the pacific!! Right on the post front in the amazing Santa Monica! So glad we went to this place! Food was out of this world!!!!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food