“Good location, good food!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #144 of 573 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Los Angeles, California
“Good location, good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I went here for breakfast o Mother's Day. We sat outside and really enjoyed the view. However, you are literally sitting in sand as you are on the beach! My chair sunk in the sand but I liked the feeling of enjoying my meal so close to the ocean. I had the brioche french toast with pure maple syrup and it was delicious.

The food was really good but the service was very, very slow. The upside to this place is the gorgeous location, great view, and tasty food. The downside is the subpar service and when the wind blows, sand gets in your food. Keep in mind this place is family friendly so if you don't like kids running around unattended, sit inside.

Final thought: If you are near the place go! It's a nice place to visit one time just for the experience.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Malibu, California
“Good friend, food and beach view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Met here last month for lunch and had a wonderful time. Right on the sand, plenty of outside eating, service was good, and enjoyed the salad. Thank goodness there is a street light off busy Pacific Coast Hwy.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Terrible service, good food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I visited during the week with my family. We waited a while to be seated while the hostess disappears, then to order, then about 30 minutes for our simple drinks. When the food finally arrived, parts of the order was wrong. It was difficult to get it fixed. The waiter was nice and comped us on the order that was incorrect and brought extra smoothies for the kids, but by that time, we had been there for 2 hours. This was during the week and while there was a steady stream of customers, it was not particularly busy. The food was decent, but everyone needs better training and organizational skills.

San Diego, California
“Great place for breakfast or lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Take your out of town guests to Back on the Beach for a solid breakfast or lunch right in the sand...it's what SoCal is about. I love all the breakfast food and I especially love the Fred Salad, mmm!

Visited February 2014
Montreal, QC, Canada
“My one stop in LA each time I come”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I had once came to this restaurant ages ago when it was a simple little shack at the beach and fell in love with the most delicious Caesar salad with calamari I have had in my life. Being in LA is always great, but having this salad on the beach was the cherry on top.

I had went back to LA in 2012 from a long hiatus of not seeing LA, and I couldn't find the name nor address of this place. Well, look here what it has become! A sit-down, place-seating restaurant. Far from what I remember!

I ordered my Caesar calamari salad on the front porch beach area and enjoy the scene in front of me having my feet in the sand... just thinking of it makes me want to go back!

I can't really talk about anything else on the menu unfortunately, but if you like Caesar salad and calamari, AND the beach! don't look any further!

• Visited March 2013