“The feel special experience” 5 of 5 stars

Plan Early, Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“The feel special experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I come to LA once a month. I usually stay at the Casa which is an excellent (albeit more reverential, stately) hotel on the beach, but The Viceroy was a real wake up call this trip, reminding me how a hotel stay should be.

It sounds maybe silly but walking through the lobby or returning to the valet and having everyone welcome you by name, does make you feel at home.

It's a very trendy hotel. (Philippe Starck-like decor) but very friendly. Not too pretentious. Fab pool area. Hip bar. The dinning room is a bit cold (atmosphere-wise for breakfast) ie the marble tops really need cloth table mats to take the edge off china and glass running up against marble. But the staff are attentive.

My main gripe would be the ridiculously modest amount of wardrobe space. Huge room, but tiny wardrobe. And few draws etc. No reason for it bar poor design. Because the room was big. Being a bloke I am not that bothered leaving clothes in my suit case but if I was with my wife, she would want more space to hang clothes, etc.

I'll be back. It's not on the beach but it's a stones throw away. And it's close to all the shops on the 3rd St. Prominade.

You have to go to Asia to find similar, attentive service. Great hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
AndrewRe,
Thank you for coming across the street to find us. There are many fantastic hotels in Santa Monica but we are thankful now to be the one that you can call home. Though with any home there is always room for improvement and we thank you for your feedback. We are preparing a refresh of our dining room later this year and will definitely take your comments into mind. Thank you again and we do hope that we can have you back for your future stays to LA.

Matt Shough, Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Returning back to the Viceroy every evening to be greeted by one of the warmest and most friendly team of staff I have met made the week that I spent there an absolute pleasure. From the geeeting on the door to the maids who made the rooms, everyone was so friendly. The views from the upper floors are great, especially overlooking the ocean. My room was really comfortable and very light and airy. Eating outside on the patio is a must, and the menu provides a good selection (especially for a weeks visit!). Easy walking distance to the 3rd Street shopping area of town and all of the local restaurants. Going back very soon!

Room Tip: Higher floors with a sea view!
Simon F,
Thank you for allowing us the privilege of playing your host for a full week. We know that being away from home that long can be difficult. Because of that it is wonderful to know that our team made you feel at home during this stay. Grateful that we'll have the chance to welcome you back soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Great hotel central to everything in Santa Monica - reasonable when you compare it to like properties on Ocean Avenue. Second time I've stayed there. James the Concierge will hook you up with whatever you need, and the rooms are generously appointed and spaceous. Razor thin balcony on the ocean side of the hotel, but appreciated the double sliding glass doors (inner and outer) for keeping the traffic noise off of Ocean Avenue essentially nonexistent. The staff was super courteous and the people watching a nice perk lol.

Room Tip: higher floors are less likely to pick up noise from Ocean Avenue. Get to the pool early to grab wha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Lou S,
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to have you with us twice. We truly appreciate your loyalty. Thank you also for taking the time to share your experiences especially your recognition of James. He is our superstar and definitely the man with the hook ups. Look forward to having you back soon.

Maureen Phillips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The location is great. The rooms are quaint and quite large. I was traveling for business, and this hotel was just not comfortable for me. I was on the third floor over the pool and it's a fun spot but not if you are in your room working. So it was just a bad match for this trip. The pool area has music going till midnight- or there abouts and lots of kids were squealing in the pool. The hotel also pumps a very distinctive scent into the air of the lobby, hallways and it was also in my room. I asked to have it removed from my air system. It was very over powering and when I asked the front desk about it, I was told it was their "ethos". OK! So I checked out and headed over to the Four Seasons for the next 20 days of my trip.

Room Tip: There is construction going on next to the hotel. Check on this before you book a room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Matt S, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
tojopop,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing your honest feedback. We do provide a unique experience and we regret to learn that you did not feel we were the right fit. We do hope that you were able to enjoy the remainder of your time in Los Angeles. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity.

Hendersonville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

If you like hotels with phenomenal service and a rockin atmosphere...look no further than the Viceroy Santa Monica. If you are just chillin in the lobby, eating in the restaurant, hangin by the pool, or grabbin drinks in the lobby bar...you feel like a rock star! The staff from the valet, to the desk, to the housekeepers, to the restaurants delivers with edgy fun and enthusiasm. The yogurt parfait for breakfast in the restaurant is the best I have ever had and I travel extensively! This place is a must for vacation or business travel...dont miss it!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Todd C,
Thank you for allowing us the chance to provide you with a rocking experience. It appears that you were able to experience every aspect of the hotel and we're very happy to hear you enjoyed yourself. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm about your stay.

Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

When my wife and I were offered a glass of champagne during check in I knew we were in the right place. Our time at the Viceroy was the best hotel experience I have had to date. The hotel was extremely clean, the pool was like an Oasis, and the food was top notch. Being addressed by name by the staff was a nice surprise and definitely appreciated. We will definitely be repeat customers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank V,
Thank you for joining us and sharing your experience. We are delighted to hear that you and your wife had such a lovely time. And to know it was the best hotel experience you've had to date, well that's just icing on the cake. Thank you for allowing the staff to welcome you and we do hope to see you again soon.

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was by far the best experience I've had to date at a hotel. From the moment we entered we were greeted by a courteous staff member and treated like royalty. We even received a complimentary glass of champagne to celebrate our anniversary. The rooms were lavishly appointed and very clean. The pool area was something out of a movie and it was great to know they also have a fitness center if there would've been time for that. Overall, I would definitely stay here again, both me and my husband enjoyed the Viceroy and recommend it for any couple looking for a quick romantic get-a-way!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ivygirl16,
Congratulations to you and your hubby on your one year anniversary. Thank you very much for allowing Viceroy to play a part in this very special occasion. We are so pleased to hear that you had such a great experience. We hope to have the opportunity to make this an annual visit. Cheers.

Matt Shough, Director of Rooms

Been to Viceroy Santa Monica? Share your experiences!