“Very upmarket” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Adelaide, Australia
“Very upmarket”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I've given this hotel a "Very Good" rating, because I think the hotel is very good... BUT we didn't enjoy our stay there. We had our 3 children with us (aged 13, 9, 3) and our friends had their two kids (12, 8) - we didn't feel at all comfortable. Everything is so beautiful there! We were so worried our kids would mess something up- be too noisy. I felt other guests were annoyed by our presence at such a beautiful hotel?!! I think it is a gorgeous boutique hotel, with a beautiful pool / outdoor area - chic design - but not for families... couples / business people / girlfriends... absolutely ideal! The smallest rooms with the smallest beds, of our entire USA trip - but the most expensive hotel. So I wouldn't say value for money was there - although it was all pretty swanky?! Extremely professional staff.

Room Tip: Not recommended for families
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

964 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Such a great feel to this hotel. Walking distance to the Santa Monica Pier. Great outdoor space and pool area - one of my favorite hotels to stay at - I highly Reccomend

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I really wish I could give it 5 stars! A short walk from the beach, close to other fun hotels and restaurants in the area, and an overall great vibe. Just a few misses.

The service was attentive, friendly, and unpretentious throughout. I felt welcomed, and never felt like I was annoying the staff when I had a request. Props for champagne on arrival (although funny that the housekeeping service left the half-consumed drinks in our room for days - maybe they thought we still wanted them?).

I loved the decor throughout the hotel. Sleek and glamorous without being inaccessible. Plus, the room was actually designed to be functional as well -- plenty of closet/drawer space, bathroom with full vanity and great lighting. I hate when rooms are so sleek that they're not actually useable. This one delivered!

The bar/pool areas were pretty lively, but not an insane scene. Still had a constant buzz of activity and plenty of people watching.

Now the bad -- we couldn't really get a great night of sleep. The beds were comfortable and all, but that great corner room they gave us with more space and an ocean view came with a downside. We were right next to the service door, behind which was a service elevator. All night we were hearing the combo of the elevator dinging, the service door shutting, and the clank of room service/housekeeping carts. The noise of the A/C going on and off didn't help either. We spoke to the concierge after the first night, and the hotel would have moved us, but we decided to give it one more night to see if it was any better (we had a 4-night stay). Of course that "test" night was the quietest (I think maybe the concierge told the staff to be more conscious when they use that area) so we decided not to bother switching rooms. The activity picked right back up again the next night/morning, but by then we were feeling too lazy to switch plus our stay was almost over. Oh well!

Other than that, I enjoyed my stay (although that valet/dining/parking bill will get you in the end -- ouch!) Next time though, I'll be declining that corner room.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that are on the right wing when facing the hotel from the street. Right next to the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed at the Viceroy in May this year for a work conference. From the start the staff was extremely attentive. I requested a room on a higher floor and the front desk person was extremely accommodating. The room was chic, clean, and comfortable. The bartender at the beautiful bar downstairs was friendly and knowledgeable. The parking attendants were also really nice and always fetched my car quickly. I've stayed in other "trendy" hotels where the staff seem too cool to help you. But at the Viceroy I had one of the best business travel experiences I have had yet. On the day I checked out, the front desk even called me to warn me that there is a union strike at the airport that may cause traffic delays. Overall I would love to stay at the Viceroy again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Everyone in the Viceroy staff was very nice to us during our 2 night stay. We were given complimentary champagne upon check in and enjoyed three meals in their restaurant. Breakfast portions were huge and the waiters very attentive. Close proximity to the pier and the beach which made for a nice relaxing walk. Valet was quick and provided directions and suggestions for places to see or dine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

If you want to sleep, don't stay at this hotel. The noise is so loud it is ridiculous and it goes past 1am. And my shower had long dark hair in it (not mine!). Gross.

• Stayed May 2012
laboy70, General Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for your very brief feedback. The hotel has a DJ on the weekends which we have had for almost 10 years. We have last call at 1am and thus the music is off by then, occassionally it goes a little later. I am sorry about the hair that was found in your shower. I hope you would have mentioned this during your stay so we could have addressed it immediately versus here where we can do nothing about it.

I appreciate your feedback.
Troy Pade
Hotel Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

The ViceRoy is a great hotel! Very chic, hip hotel. It feels like you're at home. The rooms are beautiful and the hotel is very clean. The staff is very attentive and great you by name. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2012
laboy70, Manager at Viceroy Santa Monica, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
FancyPancy-
Thank you and very happy you enjoyed yourself!
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Regards
Troy Pade
Hotel Manager

Been to Viceroy Santa Monica? Share your experiences!