“The amazing hospitality of The Viceroy Hotel, Santa Monica, L.A.” 5 of 5 stars

Plan Early, Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“The amazing hospitality of The Viceroy Hotel, Santa Monica, L.A.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I have recently returned from staying in Santa Monica at the Viceroy Hotel over the Holiday period and spent 6 nights there.
As on my previous 4 visits, the hotel really lived up to my expectations and standards.
From checking in procedures, through room standards, decor, restaurant and bar service and ambiance, I cannot contemplate staying somewhere else whenever I visit Santa Monica either for business or for pleasure.
The staff are personable, helpful and attentive to the maximum level of need and nothing is ever too much trouble for any of them.
I wish we had this level of staff training in the UK. The staff have the knack of always being there for you without the stuffiness of more exclusive- or more expensive- hotels, are really friendly and approachable without being too familiar. As far as the staffing goes,it's perfect.
Good menus for all tastes in the Whist Restaurant and talented chefs.
The bar is buzzy, chic and fun but not overly noisy and is a great meeting place.
The hotel suits singles, couples and families alike. As a lone woman, I feel very comfortable and safe here.
I also love the decor. I first visited this hotel before it became a management chain. It seems to be growing and I would love to visit other hotels in the group--but that would mean that I would be missing out on time I could be spending at this one.
I am already planning my next visit. I really can't wait! I am a photographer who is constantly travelling and staying in lovely hotels but a stay in the Viceroy feels like coming home.

Ms S. Fontaine, London

Room Tip: Sea front for the sunrise and sunsets. Not noisy. Worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I'm the type of person who generally doesn't like anything too over-the-top or pretentious. I was worried about this hotel because, at first glance, it sure seemed Hollywood-affected. Well, perhaps that could include the bar, but that would be it. Always remember that looks can be deceiving. The staff was incredible and down-to-earth, and I felt comfortable the moment I walked in (the complimentary champagne didn't hurt, by the way). The room, although small, was very comfortable and chic. I loved the eclectic decor. Holy smokes, the bed was beyond phenomenal and the shower more than spa-worthy. Great bath products, towels and linens. My view wasn't much to write home about, but in the end I was there for my job so who has time for lovely views anyway? I did eat in the restaurant and I found the food to be good, if not a bit pricey (what? in LA?). True to form the staff shined and didn't hassle us to move along despite a busy morning. I'm usually not a fan of the pricey hotels who are all for show, but it turns out that this joint has substance in more ways than one. If you want a comfortable treat that balances the luxe with common courtesy to all (Rolex or not), give this joint a try.

Room Tip: Higher floor as far away from the elevator as possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We recently stayed at the Viceroy for two nights right over Christmas weekend and had a wonderful time. Similar to other reviewers' experiences, we thought the service was fantastic. Sean at the front desk, in particular, was really great to us - we were celebrating our 4 year anniversary and they greated us with a glass of champagne and sent up a bottle to our room as a congratulations. We stayed at a time when the hotel was not too crowded, so it was very quiet and serene and we had a great room on the 6th floor with a full ocean view. It was great to wake up to perfect weather and to view the beautiful ocean. Our only recommendation would be for them to get slightly firmer pillows - theirs are super soft and you kind of sink in them even when you use two. Highly recommend - can't beat the location - you are one block from the beach, half a mile walk to third street promenade and very close to other great restaurants and shops on main street towards marina del rey.

Room Tip: highly recommend the ocean view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Halmstad/Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed at Viceroy 2 nights a weekend in November and picked this hotel because we like Hotels with great design. And this was really something special, a mix between modern style and old times. The service from the front desk , to restaurang/bar, roomservice and houskeeping was excellent. We enjoyed it as a family (2 adults, 2 kids, 11-13) and as well business, since this was a combined business and pleasure trip. This isn´t a quiet hotel during the evening. The bar and lobby was packed with people during nighttime and we enjoy when a place is full of activity. Breakfast was nice, though expensive, but coming from Europe we are use to breakfast beeing including in the roomrate, so what can we do to just accept.
Strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: High up , seaview
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Even before I arrived, I was impressed by the staff. The concierge contacted me by email with suggestions for local jaunts, the hotel sent reminder emails about my stay and the amenities provided. From the moment I pulled in (at 10:00 at night) until I left two days later, I was treated like a star. From the valet, to the manager, to the restaurant staff to room service, all were so attentive, kind, and courteous I would stay there again and again for that reason alone but the simple fact is that this hotel has beautiful rooms, a wonderful restaurant, and a great location close to the promenade and major santa monica locations which makes for a wonderful stay

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

The Viceroy is one very styleish place with detail everywhere you look. I had gone for a birthday party and was advised before the event to pick from a restricted menu and to make a deposit weeks in advance. As it turned out, the restricted menu was way more expensive than the regular al la carte menu and as the restaurant was about empty, suppllying 17 diners at once would not have been a problem. The quality of the food was average and the waiters pleasant.
We stayed in the hotel overnight as we were due a late night. If you decide to stay here, bring your own pillow as the Viceroy's are the worst ever. The rest of the room is pretty devoid of comfortable furniture and the TV just OK. Park on the street if you can as it's the usual LA rip rates and it took an hour to check out due to a dispute (which they resolved).
My recommendation is to spend the extra and go to Shutters across the street.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Ibiza, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We picked this hotel based on its stylish appearance, but the place is so much more than a looker. Service was (very) personalized and professional, we loved the (healthy) breakfast menu and the kids meal options. The location is perfect as well, and so were our views on 'Muscle Beach'. Our partial-ocean view was definitely a full-ocean view...The quiet library and outside area are nice little extras. And last but not least, the hotel lobby really coming alive at night. Especially when travelling with children an easy way to squeeze in a little bit of nightlife, effortlessly...Overall, can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Opt for a room with sea views, worth the little extra money
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Viceroy Santa Monica? Share your experiences!