“Clean, nice room, location kind of corporate” 4 of 5 stars

Re-LAX
Ranked #13 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brooklyn, NY
“Clean, nice room, location kind of corporate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ambrose on our honeymoon-- first impression, it smelled LOVELY. Almost like a spa.

Our room was clean and bright, it felt like a bedroom in someone's home. We had a patio off of our room, which I was excited about, but we never used it...when I went outside to check it out, I could see a guy on the bed in the room next to us, and I felt like while it was nice it wasn't that private. I am a drink-coffee-in-my-nightgown kind of person, and it just felt like it was a bit too open.

The hotel was a short drive to main parts of LA, I even ran to LA one morning, and I am not a distance runner. That said, the location might be better suited for business-- it was a stone's throw from major offices like MTV and Comedy Central, but for honeymooners there wasn't much to walk around and do/see right outside of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

General M, Manager at The Ambrose Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you Julia M from Brooklyn for your positive comments on your recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel.

686 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Missoula, Montana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I've been staying at The Ambrose for several years and find it a comfortable home away from home..not to sound cliche! I do business in downtown LA and find staying in Santa Monica more relaxing....great restaurants, shopping and Whole Foods just a couple blocks away from the hotel. The staff is awesome, the breakfast and coffee in the lobby most appreciated, rooms are clean and comfortable. My only complaint is they suddenly have started charging 20.00 dollars a day for parking, that's new and while it won't make me not stay there, would have been nice to know ahead of time! Make sure you check out the Santa Monica Farmers Market on Wednesday mornings......awesome!!! Bay City Deli for gourmet delights to take home is wonderful!

Room Tip: I wonder if the rooms on the alley are a bit noisier........garbage trucks and the like, but the dra...
Green Features: I do know its a Leed certified hotel, the usual notices are in the room concerning your hotel linens and using your towels....etc. Recycling containers on the room and on the breakfast area......so they do a better job than most!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you Debra for your positive comments on the Ambrose Hotel.

We totally appreciate our special repeat guest's that frequently find our hotel and get to know our Southern California " vibe" throughout the entire hotel, staff and accommodations... that are like their own home.

Please reach out to us directly via email at reservations@ambrosehotel.com for Repeat guest discounts.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at The Ambrose for two nights. We wanted a nice hotel in Santa Monica that was quiet, attractive, slightly luxurious and not over the top expensive. My husband found The Ambrose online. We looked at other area hotels that a friend recommended, such as the Viceroy and the Hotel Palomar, but decided on The Ambrose because we didn't need a pool and liked that it what smaller and appeared more intimate. We were not disappointed. Riaa greeted us at check-in and was very helpful when we asked for suggestions of nearby restaurants. She also gave us a room on the front of the hotel, which we requested because we had read these were quieter. Our room was attractive and very comfortable, with plenty of room, nice size bath and amenities and mini-bar that was well stocked with not outrageous prices. The buffet breakfast was perfect with fresh fruit, juice, granola and yogurt, coffee, tea and fresh pastries. We enjoyed it by the fire in the sitting area, while reading the WSJ and LA times which were complimentary. With only three floors, there was no long wait for the elevator, we never saw or heard a maid's cart in the hallway, and all of the staff were pleasantly friendly. The parking garage is easily accessible and we took the elevator from there to our room floor or the lobby. We liked the quiet neighborhood location. Check out time is noon, which gave us plenty of time in the morning. Sheena couldn't have been nicer at check-out. We will definitely stay at The Ambrose again and have already recommended it to friends and family. I didn't think the photos online did it justice. Our room looked much more attractive than the photos on the website.

Green Features: Appreciated that the hotel is environmentally-friendly in a non-obtrusive way.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, Manager at The Ambrose Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We couldn't have said it better...

Thank you for your positive review and comments about your recent stay at the Ambrose hotel.

Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and accommodations comfortable & calm, like their own home. Our staff strives to provide service & accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.
Pleasant Hill, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were delighted to find this outstanding hotel in Santa Monica. Located just a block off of Wilshire Avenue , this relatively new hotel is close to a multitude of great restaurants and shops, including a Whole Foods that is just around the corner. Our room was very well appointed, and we enjoyed a sound nights sleep on a very comfortable bed. The morning breakfast was far above the typical fare experienced at most hotels, and the staff worked very hard to provide a very pleasant stay! We booked this hotel on Hotel.Com, and paid $144.00 plus taxes. I doubt if we could find any hotel this outstanding in the Santa Monica area for under $300.00. Would go back here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and accommodations comfortable and quite like their own home.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

First the negative... this hotel is not near the touristy part of Santa Monica. They told us they'd provide transportation anywhere within Santa Monica (we had no need of this service). As you can imagine from the address, the hotel is 20 blocks from the beach.

Now for the positives... We were there 2 days to visit a relative in a nearby hospital. The hotel was extremely convenient for that. It had underground gated parking, so no need to feed the meters.

The room was lovely, comfortable and even had a small balcony. The name doesn't suggest it but this hotel has an Asian theme and the decorations i the room, halls and common areas were very nice.

The bathroom was huge (this was a wheel chair accessible room). The light in the bathroom was not so great but there was an illuminated magnifying mirror on the was. It was even darker in the bathtub, however. Again, this bathroom might be different from standard rooms.

The room had no closet (again, the Asian theme) but had a very nice piece of furniture that included more than adequate space for hanging clothes. Despite being on a somewhat busy street the room was quiet.

The included breakfast was far better than one usually gets in Hotels. Nothing hot, but interesting pastries, bread, cereal and fruit. The coffee was excellent as well.

Outside the lobby is a very nice garden with fountains.

The staff was nice. They told me they had loaner bicycles (which I didn't have time to use).

The bottom line? I paid $220/night including parking. Of course the city tacks on all sorts of fees (lets tax folks who don't live here!) but that wouldn't have been different at any other Santa Monica hotel.

So, in conclusion... if you have business or family in that part of Santa Monica this should be on your short list. There are some chain hotels nearby, but I doubt they'd be as nice.

Green Features: They claim to be very eco friendly and have multiple awards on the wall in this regard.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We couldn't have said it better...

Thank you both for your positive and critical comments about your recent stay at the Ambrose hotel.

While we appreciate your positive, we take the time to evaluate the critical elements from guest's comments in order to exceed expectations.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Hotel has a wonderful, non-generic vibe. Soft and quiet spot in the hustle and bustle of the big city. Front desk handled reservation with professionalism and grace. The right touch for the West Coast. Parking was simple under the hotel and no one else drives the car. Great proximity to Montana Ave., the Pier, Venice.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your positive comments on your recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel.

Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly get to know our Southern California " vibe" throughout the entire hotel, staff and accommodations... that are like their own home. We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.

Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

By the time I pulled into the driveway out front, I was in desperate need of a break. The first thing I noticed is how beautiful the property is way beyond the photographs. The artwork, layout, lighting and aroma in the lobby/lounge area immediately calmed me down. The staff is very friendly and although this was a stay-cation for me, they gave me plenty of ideas for me to enjoy during my weekend getaway. The small garden out front is hidden from the street by trees and a small secluded picnic table is tucked away in a corner, perfect for a romantic dinner or lunch with friends.

My room had a view that stretched to the mountains and flooded the room with light. The big king size bed was heaven and the bath was beautiful with a supply of Aveda products. I left my car parked in the garage the entire weekend and took advantage of the hotel shuttle to the beach and walked for miles along the ocean.

I had the best night's sleep I've had in ages and I left the hotel recharged, relaxed and feeling like I had a chance to enjoy Santa Monica and the beach stress-free. This is the perfect location to have a balance of city and beach without the cost of a beach front hotel.

Room Tip: If you're considering a stay with friends, share a suite it's worth it and I highly recommen...
Green Features: You can opt out of having your linens washed every day to conserve water. Recycling baskets are in each room making it easy to recycle items.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
We couldn't have said it better !!

Thank you for your positive comments on your recent stay at the Ambrose Hotel.

Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.

Been to The Ambrose Hotel? Share your experiences!