“Pleasant and peaceful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ambrose Hotel

You added The Ambrose Hotel to your Saves list
The Ambrose Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1255 20th St, at Arizona & 20th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90404   |
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersGold level
St Louis
“Pleasant and peaceful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Ambrose is a pleasant change of pace from run-of-the-mill hotel chains with warm but contemporary Asian-inspired décor that is just beginning to show some wear and tear. Although adjacent to some large medical centers, it is quiet at night, but somewhat off the beaten track so to fully explore the heart of Santa Monica requires a good pair of walking shoes or a car. For lovers of baked-goods, the daily breakfast buffet offers an array of rolls and breads that would be fit for a fine Sunday brunch. The only downside for me was the lack of an in-room coffee pot. As a visitor from the central-time zone, I naturally arose 2 hours early and would have appreciated being able (without the intrusion of a room servant) to brew myself some coffee and to enjoy it in my PJs while seated on the private balcony warmed by its gas-log fireplace while waiting for the sun to take over.

Room Tip: My room had a large balcony with seating for 4 as well as a chaise...a great place to relax and enjo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Came back to Santa Monica for work again in late January, booked a room here after a great stay last time. I tend to check in around 9pm and check out the next morning so I have not taken advantage of all this place has to stay.. However with that said, I am not disappointed during my short time here.

The hotel is very serene, which is exactly what I need after a day of traveling from NYC, plus a full day of work and business dinner. The beds are super comfortable.i got a room with a balcony over looking the small court yard. Love the complimentary breakfast in the morning. You can sit down, grab a paper, a nice chocolate croissant and start your morning off right. I do enjoy that the hotel has a car service to drop me off at the office a few blocks away. Perfect for when I'm in and out of LA... No need to rent a car.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dijon, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Ambrose is a very low key boutique hotel set back a little from the main streets of Santa Monica.

I stayed there for a week as I had some things to do in Los Angeles and it was absolutely ideal. Very nice staff, courtesy car, free parking, well located, comfortable rooms, great breakfast and very friendly staff.

The hotel really makes staying very easy and a pleasure. It is a little more expensive than some of its competitors but in my humble opinion it is well worth the extra few bucks.

The staff don't quibble if you want to take an extra apple to your room, are very helpful and have a good knowledge of the area.

If I go back in the near future I will definitely stay with them again.

Thank you to everyone at the Ambrose.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

When I lived in Los Angeles, I must've driven and walked past the Ambrose tons of times and just thought it was some nice apartment building because it doesn't look like your typical hotel. After moving out of town, I came back to the Ambrose for a business meeting and found the staff to be extraordinarily nice and accommodating during our stay and meeting, making sure that everything we needed was taken care of. The free parking was also a plus, especially since parking at L.A. hotels is usually astronomical, and I had a great room up on the 4th (top) floor with a huge balcony that had enough room for a table, 2 chairs and a bench -- the balcony also faced west so I could watch the sunset and see the ocean off in the distance. The room itself was nice, and the bed was comfortable. It was also helpful to have the free breakfast that included pastries, fruit and coffee.

That said, the Ambrose is showing its age a little. Some of the wallpaper in my bathroom was peeling off the wall, some of the carpet was starting to pull away from the wall, and the chairs in our meeting room definitely were showing some marks and wear. Also, the walls were pretty thin, so when my next door neighbor decided to use his bathroom at 11pm, I heard it pretty clearly when he flushed his toilet and ran his shower, so that sort of thing may disturb light sleepers.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brasilia, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Nice place to stay. Great Staff, very educated, made my check in before 15:00 o´clock, room was clean and cool. Free parking (excellent!). Very quiet. Not so far way from Promenade and Santa Monica Pier. The breakfast is different. Food is mostly natural, could have more fruits (only strawberries). It does not have place to sit for everybody, only few chairs and two tables (maybe you find weird at the beginning, but it was really cool because you can bring your breakfast to your room with no problem). I highly recommend. I was with my wife and my 8 years old son. Free and fast internet. Really COOL!

Room Tip: Higher floor and away of the elevator is a tip.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at The Ambrose Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We couldn't have said it better...

Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly get to know our entire hotel, staff and accommodations like their own home. We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest.

Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Ambrose hotel is a quaint boutique hotel in Santa Monica. We were two adults and a child- had a comfortable stay for 3 nights in a king bedroom. Our room was nicely appointed, we found the staff to be friendly and efficient, and the continental breakfast in the morning was more than adequate. They have a little garden area with a small fishpond just outside the breakfast area which our 1 year old found really entertaining. Wireless and parking in their large underground lot was included in the rate, which is great. Overall a very pleasant, relaxing experience, we would definitely stay again, and would not hesitate to recommend.

The one thing to be aware of is the location, which could be a disadvantage depending on what you are looking for. It is on a quiet street just off Wilshire about 20 blocks from the ocean front- so about a 20-25 minute brisk walk. They do have a complimentary shuttle service, but if you have young children, you will not be able to use it. We did not ever find this a disadvantage since we had a car, and never had a problem finding metered parking closer to the ocean front.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about the Ambrose Hotel.
We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay. Your feedback makes it all worth it
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We used to have relatives stay here when we lived in Santa Monica. Now that we've moved away we gave it a try and had a great stay: very comfortable room (two adults, one child), outstanding free continental breakfast, great free parking situation, free wifi, lovely design. The only thing keeping me from giving five stars is that noise really travels, not only from adjacent rooms but also any time someone is in the hallway. But for just over $200/night it's a great choice and we will definitely stay here the next time in Santa Monica without a second thought.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
General M, Manager at The Ambrose Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about the Ambrose Hotel.

Been to The Ambrose Hotel? Share your experiences!