“perfect location with modern, clean decor” 4 of 5 stars

Early Bird Gets the Worm
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“perfect location with modern, clean decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Found this hotel through Tripadvisor and loved the beachfront location and photo gallery. It definitely my expectations.

The lobby was modern and spacious. We were greeted with complimentary champagne.

Not a fan of the 11am check in and 4pm check out times, but they were able to get our room ready early.

The room itself looked beautiful. We paid for a nice view but really only had a street view.

It was a bit far to walk from the elevator to our room, and it would've been nice to have more room service hours. In fact, we left our room for brunch at around 10am and returned at 2pm for a quick break to find that the room was still not made up even though we had pushed the "make up room" button and the service staff were two doors down when we had left.

There was a great-looking pool, but it was too cool in the season to try it out.

It was within walking distance of Santa Monica Place (open-air shopping center) and the Santa Monica pier. You just cross the street, and you're on the beach!

The hotel staff were very friendly.

There's an automated curtain that you can control in the bathroom to shield the shower from the view of the room. The bathroom door also slides. I would prefer more privacy in the bathroom (e.g., door that shuts and a real wall), but that's a personal preference.

I also wish there were faster check out options (e.g., through the tv) than having to go to the front desk.

When we asked the front desk for late night restaurant recommendations, she pointed us to a nearby lounge that was SUPER loud. I wish she could have warned us about not being able to hear each other from across the table.

It was a very clean and beautiful hotel with an excellent location. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: In retrospect I would have asked for a room that was somewhat close to the elevator to avoid the ver...
Green Features: It was a LEEDs hotel so followed environment best practices, but that wasn't really a key factor for us.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
yaletowngirl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad that you and your guest enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry that our team was not able to meet your expectations regarding your room being serviced. As a traveler myself, I understand that coming back from a day out, to a room that has been serviced makes a big difference. I will share your feedback with my team and use your experience as a training opportunity. Please let us know when you will be back in the area again as we would like you to come back and stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Arabic first
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

From check-in to check-out my boyfriend and I truly enjoyed our experience. You can't beat the location. The views are amazing. Having the hotel LEED Gold certified is a major plus - I found out the unused soap is recycled for countries in need and if you decline daily towel service, to save on h20, you get a hotel discount at checkout! Also, the gift shop has cute trinkets and nice jewelry - great for quick gifts. Love this place! Highly recommend.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
kdowney53,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us. I'm glad you also mentioned our Clean the World program, it's one of my favorite promotions we have at our property! It's always great to find ways to conserve products and also give back to communities! Please let us know when you will be visiting the area again, as we would love to be your destination of choice when visiting Santa Monica. Thank you again for being our guest!
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The hotel is beautifully designed in an excellent location. We had a sea view overlooking the pool - so away from the road and therefore very peaceful. We liked the overall layout although the sheet of glass dividing the bedroom from the shower stall (which can be cut off by an electric roller blind) might not be to everyone's taste! But the shower was terrific, the bed very comfortable and there was plenty of space to store stuff if like us you're on a long break from home. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. So lots of pluses. The minuses are small but a little irritating. We were aware that the hotel did not do breakfast (although they have applied for a dining licence), but we were not told at check-in that it was possible to buy coffee and a basic continental at a bar in the lobby each morning. You are encouraged to keep your towels and bed linen for a 10 dollar daily reduction. Fine - but be aware that there are no real towel rails in the bathroom to dry your towels (and you're forbidden to dry them on your balcony). So to conserve you have to re-use damp towels. And although you can theoretically have your room seen to by illuminating a green light by your door, one day we left at 8am only to return at 5pm to find the room unserviced. Irrespective of whether you hang your towels, the staff should access the rooms daily to check supplies. After 3 days (we stayed a week), we had to ask for our minibar to be re-stocked - which we've never known in any hotel before. These are small issues but ones that the management need to address. And for us, it will deserve to go to 5 stars on Trip Advisor when they have done so.

Room Tip: If you request a sea view, ask for a room behind the swimming pool because this keeps you well back...
Green Features: It might not suit the integrity of the decor but if you want to encourage your guests to re-use towels you must provide somewhere to hang them! And being environmentally friendly does not mean not accessing the room at all.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
cornwallroamingfree,

I wanted to thank you for the time that you took to share your experience with us. I am glad that you liked the amenities in the room and that the staff was great! I also wanted to thank you for participating in our Green Clean program. When participating, you have agreed to decline housekeeping services throughout the duration of your stay. On your next visit, I will ensure that our team touches base with you on any amenities that you may need. I will also ensure that the mini bar is restocked throughout your stay. Thank you again for your feedback! We look forward to your next stay at Shore Hotel.
Oxford.UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed for two nights for a break on route from Papeete to London.Hotel has a lot of glass so is very light and airey.
Our room on the third floor was very comfortable and looked out over the pool with the beach and sea beyond.No noise from either the main road or the Hotels pool below our room.
Within east walking distance of major US Department Stores also many places to eat and drink.
An ideal Hotel for a family holiday with the pier and it's attractions plus the beach so close.
Would stay again when in LA.

Room Tip: Nice to have a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
oldseadog_uk,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Shore Hotel! It's great to hear feedback from our guests regarding the amenities and location of our property. When your are back in the Santa Monica area please let us know! We would love to have you back!
Bourne, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I got lucky when my company put me up at the Shore Hotel. First, you can't beat the location - directly overlooking Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica Pier and the ocean. It's an architecturally interesting building that is LEED certified and is passionate about being a green business.

The woman who checked us in, Mary, was super sweet. She got to know where we were traveling from, gave us some restaurant tips and poured us each a complimentary glass of champagne. Everyone on staff from that point onward was very helpful and friendly.

The rooms are beautiful, modern and clean! The shower alone is reason enough to stay there. It's a glass shower that sees through from the bathroom to the bedroom. Of course there's a privacy screen that you can electronically deploy. Loved the bright color schemes in the room and the cleanliness. I had a great view overlooking the pool and the ocean. That's just by selecting "ocean view" in your reservation process. The pool sits in the middle of the hotel so rooms with an "ocean view" will overlook both the pool and ocean which is nice!

The bed was big and comfortable but I didn't sleep well. That's probably just me because when I'm away on business I tend not to sleep as well. Too much on the mind!

Speaking of the pool, I did get the chance to enjoy just before I left for the airport. Perfectly clean pool area with poolside service for drinks and food if you like. I loved the lighting in the pool area at night. It was so relaxing to sit in the hot tub in that setting.

Convenience is key for me - especially when traveling for business. They valet your car for free if you are a guest. If not, you pay a small fee but can still park there. They had ordered an early morning car service for me to get to the airport which was nice because I didn't have to hail a cab. There are plenty of cabs across the street if you choose to do that. The front desk will hold anything for you in storage including laptops, luggage, bikes, etc. Whatever makes it easier for you. Free WiFi is expected but still nice to take advantage of. There is an ATM in the lobby which I used a few times throughout my stay.

Food - there's an abundance of restaurants and food trucks right by the hotel. Blue Plate Taco is actually part of Shore Hotel but sits on Santa Monica Blvd. We ate there and had delicious tacos and salads. They put out a small complimentary breakfast offering of pastries, yogurt and coffee in the morning but I didn't take advantage of that.

I would absolutely stay here again. It was central to everywhere I needed to be for meetings and easy for me to valet my rental which got me around during the trip.

Do yourself a favor and watch the sunset from your balcony, the hot tub or even better, right on the beach in front of the hotel!

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the extra cash! So beautiful to see the sun rise and set and all the beautiful l...
Green Features: They are on top of their game when it comes to this. They even offer $10 per day back on your stay if you choose to forgo the room cleaning service (meaning you reuse your towels and no new sheets but they do make the beds and clean up the room).
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Victoria724,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear that we were able to be your home away from home while on business. I really appreciate the kind feedback that you shared about our team and property. I will be sure to share your comments with Mary and the team. Should you find yourself in Santa Monica again please let us know, I would love to invite you back to stay with us! Thank you again for being our guest! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Great location in neighborhood with restaurants, shopping near by and access to beach. Friendly personal and clean modern rooms. Room with ocean view was nice with sunset. Would recommend for the experience to stay in Santa Monica.

• Stayed January 2014
Christina M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
EvB4,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us from the modern guest rooms and the restaurants near by! Please let us know when you will be visiting Santa Monica again as we would like to welcome you back! Thank you again for being our guest!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

My friends and I were looking for a place to celebrate a BIG birthday. The Shore turned out to be the perfect place. From the minute we checked in until check-out we were treated likeV.I.P.'s. Our room had an amazing view of a beautiful Santa Monica beach and the beds were very comfortable. We loved that we didn't have to go far for a delicious meal. Blue Plate Taco was casual, festive and yummy.

Room Tip: I would request an ocean front room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Irene M,

Thank you for sharing your birthday experience with us. I am happy to hear that we were able to make such a joyous event, such a memorable experience! I will let the team know how we were able to make a positive impact on your stay. Thank you again for being our guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Been to Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!