“Ultimate Service” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sydney, Australia
“Ultimate Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I work in the travel industry and I stay in A LOT of hotels.
None compare to the quality and service of this hotel.

From the moment we checked in to the time our bags were loaded in our car all the staff were utterly amazing, professional and helpful.
I would have no hesitation in recomending this clean, green and centrally located hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for street frontage. The windows are doubled glazed and the views are awesome!
Green Features: Brilliant Save $10 per night by not getting your room serviced.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joseph H, Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
JRow12,

Thank you for reviewing our property and providing insight of your most recent stay. Reviews such as these are what we strive for, knowing that the service and quality you were provided was second to none allows our team the opportunity to cherish what we have and appreciate our jobs. We are proud to know you would, without hesitation, recommend our property to others. Thank you again, we look forward to your return soon!

1,259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Woodstock, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed at the Shore Hotel for the second time after deciding that in the California heat wave another beautiful hotel we stayed at for one night that didn't have air conditioning just wasn't going to cut it. This hotel has definitely improved in every way possible. From the welcoming staff and the mod and fun sitting area in the valet parking area, to the addition of refrigerators, ice and a mini bar in all rooms, to the artsy gift shop in the lobby, to the small but wonderful workout area, this hotel is fabulous in so many ways.

We walked from here to the Santa Monica pier, to the Venice Beach area one day, then walked the beach to Sunset Boulevard area. We never ordered room service, but it is available from the lovely Seasons 52 a few doors down. This hotel is a great value as well, if you are willing to forgo housekeeping services *(in keeping with the green views of the hotel), towels can be delivered and a $10 a day credit added to your bill. We made up the beds and cleaned up ourselves, why not? The Aveda bath products are a wonderful touch as well.

I just have nothing to say but great things about this wonderful hotel and would consider this a home base with everything needed for a long or short visit to beautiful Santa Monica!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the main part of the hotel, or you may get lost, also, there is a back entrance so...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Trabuco Canyon, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I'm a local (Orange County), and a journalist (L.A. Times), so I am offering what I consider to be an objective analysis. Everything in Santa Monica is horrendously expensive, especially near the ocean. That's a given, so get over it. Just like New York is expensive. If I want a cheap luxe room I go to Vegas and stay in the Aria for $79 or Vdara at gambling-club rate on a slow night.

So accepting that everything is expensive, go for the best value. The Shore is good value. The rooms are exceptionally well-designed. Ultra modern and clean, with high-end plumbing fixtures (Kohler). Nice clean carpet. Lovely tile in the shower. Comfortable chairs.

We stayed on a Sunday night in an ocean-view room. I presume all the rooms have the cool see-through showers with the electronic privacy curtain that can be lowered. I loved the feature -- it made the room seem much larger than it was. I loved that the shower water came from a ceiling fixture. (I would caution management to put more "slip strips" on the shower floor because with the soft water and soap, the slope of the shower floor can make it feel slippery.)

The king bed was extremely comfortable. Yes, the balconies are small, but we managed to get four adults onto it for ocean-front martinis before we went out to dinner to celebrate my birthday.

I saw some negative reviews, from a European tourist I think, that storage for 4 large suitcases was inadequate. Really? Have you stayed in hotels in Europe? New York? How about this: Travel lighter!

The bathroom had plenty space to put your stuff. We were even able to put a small airline-overhead-compartment-size suitcase on the shelf right next to to the bathroom sink.

The TV was a bit spotty at times -- that's Time Warner cable, not the hotel's fault. Screw the cable companies. They rip off everyone, not just residential users. But do you really pay a premium for an Ocean Avenue hotel so you can watch TV? We just put it on for 30 minutes to watch the Cowboys/Giants opener and noticed that you get some of the same intermittent pixelation that plagues the Time Warner cable empire.

NOISE: Yes, there is a lot of traffic on Ocean Avenue. But the thick glass doors block almost all of it. Speaking of the glass, the balconies have nice thick glass walls. That stuff isn't cheap. This place is very well appointed. Having stayed in plenty of places with rusting iron balcony fences or crappy stucco walls, I appreciated the money they put into this place. Apparently it's less than 3 years old.

AIR CONDITIONING: The unit didn't turn on, but an engineer came up immediately and fixed it. (It just needed a reboot.) The guy's name was Carl, and I want to give a shout-out to Carl. Very friendly and efficient. He also explained how the hotel system worked (it's state-of-the-art eco-friendly, with recirculating cooling water rather than hundreds of individual CFC-freon units like you'd find at a Super 8.)

PARKING: It's $35 per night for the valet. If you don't need in-and-out privileges with your car, you can park it for $20-for-24 hours right next door in a garage. Or for $14 a couple of blocks away in a Third Street Promenade garage. There is so much to do right on the waterfront and in that area that you can access pretty much everything by foot. If you're a tourist who plans to stay in the hotel for 4 nights, but plans to stay right there in the SM area for 2 of the days (so won't need the car), just put it in the garage for $14 for those two days and save yourself some bucks.

The hotel management and staff were friendly. We researched the hotel on the Internet, then phoned to see if they had any AAA-or-equivalent discount, ask about parking, etc. The agent couldn't offer us a discount, and when he revealed the $35 valet parking rate he must have heard my gasp. Since it was going to be a somewhat slow night (Sunday), he offered to upgrade us from a "garden-view" room to an ocean-view. Based on the hotel's web pricing, that appeared to be a $50 to $70 upgrade.

Anyway, the point is, these guys played ball. They have a perishable commodity (hotel rooms), and they threw me a bone to get my business, and I appreciated that.

I never once told them I was a journalist -- until now.

I highly recommend this place. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was an ideal hotel on the seafront in Santa Monica. Excellent hotel, clean and functional rooms and very helpful staff. We really enjoyed our stay. On the downside, no in-house movies, hotel bar (except pool bar) or room service. Therefore the lack of these details makes it a room only hotel. Be warned.

Green Features: $10 discount for not have the bed made. Sound environmental practise
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joseph H, Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Ian Y,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. As the Guest Service Manager, I am thrilled to hear how helpful you found our staff to be during your visit. We agree that added amenities such as in room movies and a hotel bar/restaurant would be of value to our guests. We will soon be implementing these amenities and look forward to adding these features. Room Service is offered and we apologize if this was not communicated to you at check in. Thank you again for the review!

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel is very modern inside and super comfortable. The balconies are VERY small but the views off them of the ocean are amazing. We were right across from the Santa Monica Pier. The location was fabulous, valet car parking. The only thing I would fault is some of the male staff. Some of them couldn't be more 'boring' and at times were so busy with whatever 'paperwork' they were doing that they seemed to be annoyed that guests were 'bothering' them with any questions/requests. At one point, I asked to borrow a sicssors to cut a tag of a new clothing item. I had the item in my hand. The male staff member cautiously handed me the sissors with a stern warning, "I need those right back because sometimes they have a habit of walking off!" Ugh. Honestly people, that annoyed me. Did he think I was going to steal them or something? Other than some issues with unfriendly male staff, the hotel itself is very clean and very nice. In my opinion, it would suit young couples, or families with older children. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view, it's worth it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jim S, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Cmonthebanner,

Thank you for your review. You are certainly correct in titling your review, ‘Amazing views.’ Our Ocean Premiere rooms are situated directly in front of our hotel to allow for breathtaking views. Also, being located right above the ocean, on Ocean Ave. provides an even more spectacular viewpoint. On another note, I would like to apologize for some of your encounters with our staff. As noted by the nearly 500 excellent reviews, we have an amazing team of hoteliers that thrive in customer service. The fact that you did not receive such service from all is completely unacceptable and I will address the matter with my staff. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you soon!

Jim Surace
Newport, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a quick trip to LA. The location is great right on Ocean Blvd. The hotel pool was tiny and it is across the street from the ocean and the views are limited becuase you have to look over the park. The beds were comfy and the glass shower with Aveda products was amazing. For a 5-star hotel I expected an on-site restaurant that served breakfast. There is no restaurant bar. The front desk didn't even have a menu for the Blue Plate Taco for me to order food for the pool which is supposedly their in house restaurant. The only reason why i didn't rank this hotel lower was because I reserved a room with two queen beds because I was traveling with a friend. When we arrived there was not a two queen room available and they gave us two king rooms for the same price of one two queen room. One was handicap accessible that didn't have the amazing glass shower with the ocean view.

• Stayed August 2013
flyawaynight,

Thank you for the kind review. We appreciate all feedback as it allows us to gage how valued our guests feel during their stay. We are currently assembling our on-site restaurant and it should be open soon. Unfortunately Blue Plate Taco is not our in house restaurant. Until our restaurant opens we have a partnership with Seasons 52 as our in house dining option, menus are available in the room and at the front desk for your convenience. I apologize if this information was not relied to you at check in. On a brighter note, I am glad to see that our team was able to accommodate your rooms and that you enjoyed our beds, shower and amenities. Thank you for choosing Shore Hotel during your time in Santa Monica. We hope to see you soon!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

People like Dallana and Natalie keep hotels like this in business. They made my entire family feel so welcomed. I have stayed at many four and five diamond hotels and most of the time the customer service is very arrogant and stuffy, but not here! I know the manger would want all the credit, but being a manger myself…I know customer service is one thing to teach, but a great attitude and personalities are another. If you call or stay at this Hotel, ask for one of the ladies mentioned above and they will assist you like true professionals.

Curt Peña

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Joseph H, Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Curtis P,

Thank you for providing viewers with such a great review. We appreciated the kind words regarding our hotel and our staff. I will pass along your praise to both Dallana and Nathaly as they will be thrilled to hear how their interactions made all the difference in your stay. Employees such as Dallana and Nathaly are truly hard to find and as their manager I am grateful to have them on our team. Thank you for choosing Shore Hotel, we look forward to your return!

Front Office Manager

Been to Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!