“Better late then never....” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
North Richland Hills, Texas
“Better late then never....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Shore Hotel for one night over the Memorial Day weekend to visit our son and his wife. We arrived at the Shore Hotel at 12:30 P.M. and was pleasantly surprised to be able to check-in (Saturday/May 25, 2013) early to our room which was a huge relief due to being worn out from a long work week in Texas and since we both had been up since 2:00 A.M. to catch a 6:00 A.M. flight from Dallas to Los Angeles. While waiting for about 10 minutes, we sat outside in the pool courtyard with drinks - beautiful place to rest.

We stayed in the Ocean View Premier room (332) on the 3rd floor, and the room was perfect. Awesome views of the Santa Monica Pier and the Pacific Ocean, the traffic noise was not an issue for us, when it did, we just closed the sliding door (sound proof), but mostly left the sliding door open with the screen door in place (to keep any flying bugs out - not sure if there are any bugs in CA) to experience the Santa Monica atmosphere (street performers, tourists, ocean breeze, etc.), which was especially nice with some cold beer in the late afternoon on the balcony. The room was very clean, modern and well appointed. The king size bed was heaven (never heard any traffic noise when sleeping) and the bathroom was superb, especially enjoyed the “rain-forest shower head” (see pictures of the pvt curtain). We loved all the "green" items in the room, especially the "red" and "green" lights at the front door to our room. We were very impressed by all the staff's courteousness and professionalism, especially David and Israel at the front desk who were very welcoming, helpful and friendly at all times and provided us with excellent customer service during our entire stay at the Shore Hotel. Our overall experience was relaxing and enjoyable from the time of check-in (with the glasses of champagne as a welcome) to the time of check-out (which made us a little sad). There are so many places to eat & drink nearby, all within walking distance of the Shore Hotel, we felt safe without any worries of walking around the Santa Monica area during the late evening/night. The bar in the lobby was great for cocktails and we took our drinks out to the patio next to the pool with several much appreciated gas warmers to start the night off right.

The Shore Hotel is a beautiful hotel; the location cannot be beat, being between the beach and promenade, it is an easy walk to numerous entertainment venues and restaurants. We would highly recommend the Shore Hotel to our family and friends and would stay there again in a heartbeat, especially due to the staff taking care of you! Sincerely, Jake & Judy

Room Tip: Rooms looking directly over the ocean are perfect.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim S, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Jsm28np,

Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review on The Shore Hotel. Being a Four Diamond boutique hotel, we try to create a personalized guest experience that is unlike any other. Our location is truly outstanding, and the views from the Ocean Premiere rooms are stunning, but as you noticed, it is our staff that truly makes the stay extraordinary. We have an amazing team that goes above and beyond for each guest. Israel and Derek are shining examples of our team member’s passionate enthusiasm for each guest. I will definitely pass along your praise. Aside from our guest services department, we also have an amazing F&B department that is constantly keeping guests comfortable while they are enjoying a cocktail at the pool! Thanks again for your wonderful review and we hope to see you soon!

1,301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have always stayed in Santa Monica enroute back to New Zealand, being so handy to LAX. This was our first stay at the Shore Hotel; we were previously staying at the Sheraton. The Shore wins hands down! The hotel is modern & fresh and the staff i found to simply go above & beyond to assist in providing a pleasurable stay, nothing was a problem. Location is excellent to get out and about for shopping and restaurants and all the usual must see & do items in Santa Monica. Israel behind reception provided us a late checkout to 4pm so the kids could stay in bed for their day sleep. He was simply fabulous in accommodating our needs with the kids. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough based on our experience. We will be back again, this time for longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Shaun T,

We are thrilled we were able to play host to you during your travels from New Zealand. Also, thank you so much for such a wonderful review! I will certainly pass along this review to our team for they will be truly honored they were able to create such an amazing experience for you. In training we use the phrase ‘above & beyond’ when describing what kind of service we expect from them so the fact that your title is, ‘Above & Beyond’ is very rewarding. Thanks again for your generous review and we can’t wait to see you again!

Copenhagen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The location is perfect and the rooms are very nice but the hotel is not well managed.

We booked a one bedroom suite for 3 nights. The suite was on the 4th floor (the highest) and had two balconies. The first one with 2 skimpy chairs and a table, the second one with no furniture at all !. My first "standing only" balcony experience.

It did not matter much, as you cannot use either balcony anyway, due to the fumes eminating constantly from the restaurant below. There was a constant heavy smell of grease, grill, charcoal all day. After 15-20 minutes you simply had enough and had to go indoors. Doors had to be kept closed, unless you wanted the "lovely fumes" to get into the room.

The bathroom in the suite is handicap friendly, but unfriendly for non-handicapped guests. The combined bathtub/shower is VERY narrow and small, and give the rates charged for the room is way way below what you will resonably expect.

Other tid bits: Pool towels ran out on all days, pool service, bar etc were only available on and off, the maid service came at 3-4 pm each day, even if you turned on the "make up room " light at 08,00,, used glasses were not replaced, etc etc.

So if the location is very important, you could stay here, if not, you will be much better off finding an alternative. At these rates there are quite a few other options on Ocean.

Its really too bad that such a nice hotel in a perfect location dissapoints so much.

Room Tip: Do not get a room in the left side of the hotel, unless you like the constant smell og grease, grill...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Peterkkh,

Thank you so much for your review. Every guest experience is extremely important to us for it allows us to know how we are performing on every level. That being said, I am disappointed to read about your experience with us. As you can read by the hundreds of other guest experiences documented on Trip Advisor our service is nothing short of outstanding. The fact that you did not have a similar experience is completely unacceptable and I apologize we fell short. I will pass along this review for training purposes. On a brighter note, thank you for mentioning our great location. It simply is perfect. Thanks again and I hope to speak to you soon about coming back and making it up to you.

Chesterfield, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel is in a great location and everyone on the staff was very nice and wanted to make sure we were having a good visit. The rooms are very clean and a super thick sliding glass door to the balcony kept out the street noise. The first morning I was awaken by someone from engineering who needed to fix something in the room next to us. The banging was unbelievable. I don't know if he was replacing the door or what, but after 15 minutes I had enough. My kids have told me that I can be pretty frightening when I am jolted from a nice, deep sleep and maybe they are right because after confronting the engineer, the banging stopped. Our room was directly over the Blue Plate Taco restaurant. They like to do maintenance early in the morning before customers start arriving which is great for them but awful for those of us trying to sleep above them. After three rough mornings and the smell of grease from the restaurant permeating our room from late morning until late in the evening, I complained to the front desk. They were kind enough to move us to a room on the fourth floor, as far away from the Blue Plate Taco as we could get. The cell phone reception in the rooms is very spotty (even some of the staff joked about it). Our kids were staying in a room on another floor and they couldn't receive our text messages. Any phone call I tried to make would have a terrible connection. I finally gave up trying to call from the room and waited until I was able to get outside. I don't feel like we got much for the high price. One thing that it seems would be easy to do is offer a nice, quick breakfast. They put out a few pastries and a cup of coffee but nothing healthy. Set up a little breakfast bar with some instant oatmeal, hot water, fresh fruit & yogurt and our whole family would have been happy. On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 6. I think next time we are there I will try someplace else...

Room Tip: Avoid anything on the side of the hotel that sits above the Blue Plate Taco!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JulieS87,

Thank you so much for your review. I am thrilled that you have pleasant things to say about the staff. They are an amazing group of hoteliers that are dedicated to going above and beyond for each guest insuring their needs are not only met, but exceeded. Also, thank you for mentioning what a great location we have. As you noticed it simply cannot be beat.

Secondly I wanted to apologize for the maintenance going on early in the morning. Our guest’s comfort is our priority and I’m sorry yours was disrupted. We do have strict policies about doing any maintenance work while neighboring rooms are occupied, so I will forward this on to the other departments to see what happened. Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you soon!

El Dorado Hills, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at that hotel a week ago for Friday and Saturday night with my children. Overall, the location is excellent and very close to the Santa Monica Pier and the 3rd Street promenade! So we loved that. The hotel is very stylish with modern architecture. The rooms were clean and nice. Swimming pool was a hit with my kids and they had towels there for us to use with water and drinks. Special mention and shout out to Israel at the front desk! Very nice guy and very helpful overall.
Now the negatives, and there's only one: The room temperature was TOO HOT for me to be able to sleep through the night on either nights! The thermostat wouldn't go below 65F but the room temp never even got to that! The lowest it went was 67F! With multiple bodies in the room, it was very hot for me to be able to get a good night's rest. After tossing and turning for 2 hours, I called the front desk at 2am and they sent someone up right away but he couldn't do much and told me that he would ask the facilities engineer to come and look at it. The next day I went to the front desk and explained the situation and they were very courteous and sent the engineer to the room who checked to make sure everything was working as it should. It was. He then said that he's done something that will allow me to sleep better but again the second night the temp didn't go below 67F in our room and it was too hot to be able to get some good deep sleep! Very frustrating, especially since we really enjoyed our stay overall in that hotel but at night its very irritating especially when you are tired! I guess Santa Monica city has some rules about energy efficiency, but from what I understand, it is a minimum of 62F. My thermostat wont go below 65 because of hotel policy(trying to be super efficient on the energy tip, I guess), and the room temp never even touched the lowest temp setting on the thermostat!
To me, the #1 thing a hotel should provide is a great sleeping experience. People really only need a hotel usually to put their heads down at night because they are out and about doing other things during the day. That is a hotel's core competency! And if you cant provide a comfortable night's sleep, then in my opinion everything else does not matter. Too HOT!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sarah N,

Thank you so much for your review. I am thrilled we were able to provide you with excellent service. Our Guest Services team is an amazing group of talented hoteliers that genuinely care about each guest’s experience. I will pass along your praise to them, especially Israel. I am also thrilled your kids had such a great time using our pool. Our pool and hot tub are heated year round and certainly make for a fun time.

I do apologize that the room did not get as cool as you liked it. Our guest’s definitely do appreciate our air conditioning. It makes for a much more comfortable stay when you are in sunny California, so I am sorry it was not quite as cool as you would have liked. However, I am glad to hear my staff did respond immediately when they heard your room was not as cold as you would like it be. Thanks again for your review, and we hope to see you again!

Croton on Hudson, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Shore Hotel for two nights, en route back to NYC from Maui. We love staying in Santa Monica, whenever we visit LA. Previously, we've stayed in the Fairmont up the street, but found that the Shore was much more ideally located to all the bars, restaurants, etc. in the area.

Upon arrival, we were given two glasses of champagne - which were delicious, and a nice touch after a 6-hour flight. We had booked a partial-view ocean room, but were upgraded to a full oceanview on the top floor. We were on a corner,so actually had a view of both the pool AND the ocean. The rooms aren't huge, but they're very nice. If you're traveling as a couple, the see-through shower is pretty cool. (We eventually discovered on the last day that there was an automated screen we could've put down when one of us was using the restroom. Instead, we interchangeably banished each other to the balcony!) My only complaint was that we were located directly above the restaurant downstairs, and the room always had a faint smell of greasy food...which wasn't super appetizing. But once you got your AC going, that would eventually disappear. We did very much enjoy the pool area, and the little cocktail hour they set up each evening.

Overall, I'd recommend staying here. It's not cheap, but the location is awesome. (And make sure you go to The Misfit for dinner and drinks! The fried chicken sandwich is a-ma-zing.)

Room Tip: Partial-ocean view is just as good as Full.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennie521,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write a review. We notice that you have written reviews on several hotels so receiving a positive one from such an avid traveler is an honor. Your title certainly says it all, ‘One of the best-located hotels in Santa Monica.’ Being centrally located to hundreds of shops and restaurants definitely makes this location the best. Also, being above the ocean allows for the stunning ocean views. Knowing that we delivered on your Shore Hotel experience is something our team will take great pride in. Also, thank you for commenting on our amazing pool and pool area. Enjoying a cocktail by the pool is something our guests certainly enjoy. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Hungerford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I am surprised this is not rated number 1 in Santa Monica. I stayed here on holiday last week and it was a lovely hotel.

Our room was lovely with views down to the pool and the beach. I liked the big shower and the Aveda products. But the main reason this hotel I felt was very good, was the atmosphere. We felt we could wonder down to the pool whenever we liked and we would go out and get coffees and things and bring them back to the pool area and no one said anything or seemed to mind. Basically it was relaxed and that is what you want on holiday. It is nice to know that staff are there when you need them but not watching you like hawks the whole time. The hot tub is nice feature too! Especially on the occasionally cloudy day. I liked the fact that you can get to the pool through a separate more private entrance and not have to walk through the lobby like you do in the Viceroy hotel down the road where everyone can see you.

In the afternoon the lady by the bar would come round to ask if you would like a drink. There isn't a restaurant to have breakfast in but you can get a pastry and coffee in the lobby of the hotel which again is relaxed.
Yes it is expensive but everywhere in Santa Monica is expensive every restaurant in the nearby area is just as pricey. I felt we got better value for money at Shore Hotel than at the Viceroy Hotel (we stayed at the Viceroy for 1 night and Shore hotel for 4 so that says it all really).

Bad points and I note these because there is always room for improvement.
1. I had a problem with the cleaning of our rooms, one day I had to call a few times to find out why the maids had not been in to clean and on another day the maids didn't come in at all and we received a call at 9.30pm asking if we would like our room cleaned we thought it was a bit late by then. There wasn't really an excuse for this as we were out or down by the pool or on the beach pretty much all day. However for our next two nights the situation was resolved and reception were very apologetic. This is why I have rated cleanliness as only average.
2. The pool area I loved but did feel it could do with a touch of maintenance the cracked cement between the tiles that sort of thing.

Suggestions: The Viceroy, although I think not as nice as this hotel, give complimentary glasses of champagne on arrival which is a very nice touch and I think the Shore hotel could do this too. Secondly I know it seems to be the norm for all the top hotels in the area to charge $36 a night parking but that is a rip off for parking! Shore hotel would be ahead of the competition significantly if they charged less money for this.

Room Tip: We had a room with a partial ocean view which was really lovely and quiet and got the evening sun.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim S, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Sarah N,

We are thrilled we were able to play host during your travels from the UK. Also, thank you so much for writing such a generous review. From the beginning we have set out to create a unique experience that is unlike the ‘stiff’ environment usually associated with Four-Diamond properties. Being on the ocean we want guests to feel relaxed and know that all their worries need not exist. Knowing we accomplished this relaxation with you is a huge success. Also, we do offer a complimentary glass of champagne at check in, so I apologize it was not offered to you. Next time you visit we’ll give you the bottle! Thanks again and we hope to see you soon.

Jim Surace

Been to Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!