“No Character” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
Lancaster England
“No Character”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights at the end of a 2 week holiday. It was our most expensive hotel even more than the Mandarin Oriental in Vegas!
The room was comfortable, clean and stylish, with a good shower.
The lighting in the room is a nonsense as you cannot turn on the bedside lights from the bed.
I would echo the general lack of efficient service which was rather indifferent.
Without a bar or restaurant or any thing in the way of a decent lounge, this is no more than a motel where all you get is a room for the night.
We had a garden view room and do not get one of these if you stay here but pay for a shore view.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
DieterSchmitz, Director of Guest Services at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
PAL021,
Thank you for your review and for staying with us during our soft opening. We greatly await the opening of our restaurant and bar Blue Plate Taco in July of this year. In the interim we went to great lengths to ensure we staff the strongest most passionate, experienced team possible to provide a personable 5 star guest experience to our valued guests. While we cannot control the outlets we await we take great pride in creating a memorable experience and an average one will always be viewed as a failure to us here at the Shore Hotel. I have contacted your account and we look forward to having you back with us as we celebrate our grand opening in July!

1,067 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Great services, especial at the front desk, Ms. Brandi was very professional and kind . AMAZING LOCATION . NEW CONSTRUCTION, OCEAN FRONT VERY CLOSE TO THE PROMENADE, WHERE YOU CAN FIND GOOD RESTAURANTS AND SHOPS $$$$. ROOM VERY CLEAN . First time in LA... ? this hotel is perfect!! the hop on hop off stops in front of the hotel, take all loops it takes 6 hrs. For four days +- you don't need a car.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the best
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
DieterSchmitz, Director of Guest Services at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Peter S,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Shore Hotel. We appreciate your praise and will be sure to pass it along to our entire team of passionate hoteliers. We hope to see you in the very near future and thank you once again for your review!

Dieter Schmitz
Reno NV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I visit Santa Monica for work often, and with the multitude of choices in the area, I don't think I'll be returning to The Shore.

Don't get me wrong - the styling of the place is well done. Very modern, very clean and current. The location is great, situated directly between the beach and the promenade.

In terms of comfort, though, I feel like this place has a long way to go. The service is lacking. In my 3 night stay, and my interaction with 5 or 6 employees, I felt a general lack of hospitality training and emphasis on guest service. I know what kind of service to expect at a 4 star hotel, and this wasn't it. This was Holiday Inn level hospitality. On a map, you'd find it just slightly north of indifference.

I made my reservation by phone. I wouldn't recommend doing that. The reservation for one person in my party was made incorrectly, and both the front desk and manager seemed nonplussed that this error was now going to leave us without a room we needed, as they had sold out in the meantime. They were able to resolve the situation the next day, but it was their *treatment* of the situation that killed me. "I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do. We sent you an email confirmation." Do you know what helps put a customer at ease at a moment like this? Expressing your dismay at the error. Genuinely apologizing. Communicating that you understand and feel a sense of urgency to resolve the situation. It helps if you care, but failing that, at least make me feel like you do.

The lack of a restaurant, room service, and bar also killed me. I sort of feel like this place shouldn't be open yet. When making the reservation, I was told I'm receiving a promotional rate because the restaurant and bar aren't open yet, but they do have room service. LOL. It's not room service... It's take out menus for restaurants that may or may not deliver to the hotel. One attempt at ordering yielded a meal 90 minutes later. Another attempt resulted in a call back saying the restaurant wouldn't deliver but we could order from a similar place.

Then there were the little inconveniences... The gift shop that wasn't open in the evening or even at 9am when we really needed a travel item, etc.

I feel like stronger hospitality management and real room service would go a long way here. Then I think I might return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
DieterSchmitz, Director of Guest Services at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Martini_A_Go_Go,

Thank you for your review and for your valuable feedback. We take full accountability for any shortcomings in our guest experience yet given the way your situation was actually handled we are saddened by the inaccuracy’s within your review. During our soft opening it was hugely important to us to create a 5 star customer service experience focusing on a personable level of hospitality and service second to none that 250 reviews have alluded to in our short existence. This was and always will be our primary focus. We have a team that was trained and educated heavily in upscale hospitality management and has come to Shore from the world’s most prestigious resorts to ensure the experience we created is truly second to none.

Subsequently we take full accountability for errors made on our end and do everything in our power to rectify them as we will never accept guests leaving unsatisfied.

Upon your arrival you noted the length of stay of your reservation was not accurate on your confirmation. Without hesitation we began looking into extending your stay despite your occupancy. We were happy to be able to extend your stay with us. The quotations in your review are simply words that none of our experienced hoteliers would ever say, in fact they give all of us here reading it chills. If there is inaccuracy in any reservation situation our entire team is heavily trained to take full accountability and takes great pride in doing anything and everything to rectify the issue as we did prior to you leaving the front desk upon your arrival.

We are happy to arrange meals for our guests from any of the areas amazing restaurants as we await our restaurant and bar opening in early July. We apologize for the time it took for your food to be prepared and agree that the time it took is not acceptable. In regards to your order due to the length of the time it took we comped your entire meal as we felt this was not acceptable and took full accountability for the delay which was not acceptable.

We understand errors are made and apologize for any issues you had during your stay. We assure our guests creating a guest experience second to none is at the core of our team here at Shore Hotel and anything less than an excellent guest experience will never be acceptable for us. We hope to have you back in the near future for our grand opening in July for our new restaurant and bar!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

Located right near the famous Santa Monica Pier this place has a great new look, especially at night time. Located near some great places to eat and shop foot and bike will be your primary transport mode. The staff are great with good advise on local venues. Big shout out to Stevie on the front desk for looking after us during our stay. Would strongly recommend staying at the Shore

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Nichelle N, Assistant Director of Guest Services at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post a review Anthony G.! Our central location is a big hit as we are within walking distance of everything that IS Santa Monica! As you mentioned, guests do not have to ever pull their car out of the garage unless they plan on heading into other LA hot-spots which are still easily accessible via the nearby freeway. Thank you for the compliments to our dedicated staff and specifically Stevie for providing you with service that is second to none! We will be sure to pass along your praises to Stevie and our entire team. Thank you also for your future recommendations and we hope that you too are able to return to us in the very near future! Thanks again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

I loved this hotel! I was feeling sorry for myself, having to spend mother's day 3,000 miles away from my son, and at a crummy hotel down the street. The clean lines of the hotel caught my eye as I walked to the Pier, so I stopped in. The hotel staff could not have been nicer - the manager on duty gave me a great deal on a room, an early check-in and a lovely card and a box of fancy nuts was waiting for me. The room was beautiful, spacious and modern. Free wi-fi and a nice pool were bonuses. The hotel is getting a restaurant, but there is no shortage of places to eat nearby, and there is a delivery service. What makes this hotel stand out, though, was the attentive and personal client service.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Jim S, Guest Services Supervisor at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Kathleen D, Thank you so much for taking time to write such a wonderful review. I had the pleasure of meeting you during your stay and I could not be more thrilled you enjoyed your ‘Shore Experience.’ We take great pride in making every guest feel special and happy, especially when they’re a little down on mother’s day. I will pass along your praise to Nichelle, who left the card and nuts in your room. She will be ecstatic that you were so pleased. Also, I’m glad you enjoyed our pool and free Wi-Fi. Those are definitely the two stand out amenities that guests seem to love! Our restaurant and bar open up in July, so we hope to see you again for that! Thanks again for your review!
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

stayed here for 3 nights at the end of May. Brilliant hotel, lovely rooms and pool. Only downside is lack of food or drink facilities.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Claudine H., thank you for posting a review! We're happy to hear that you found our hotel to be "brilliant" and that you enjoyed all of our facilities! Our restaurant will be open mid-summer and we hope that you're able to join us again to experience it as well. Thank you again!
Vancouver BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights and fell in love as soon as I stepped in the door.
It was hard for me to leave this beautiful hotel
Location is perfect. The pier is in front and the mall is at the back of the hotel
Best time to be in between.

The pool is so inviting ... ( note : no restaurant available or drinks on location ) you need to buy outside if you want to bring in drinks
The valet area was too cute.. it has a lounge / waiting area which was decorated nicely. I don't mind hanging in there too

The room is decent size. big enough for 2 people.
I will be back for sure!

Only thing i did not like is their pillow.. too soft.. had a hard time catching some zzz

Room Tip: Free Wi Fi
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
StellaStyle,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Shore Hotel during your visit from Vancouver. We appreciate your praise and will be sure to pass it along to our entire team of passionate hoteliers. We hope to see you in the very near future and thank you once again for your review!

Dieter Schmitz

Been to Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!