“A wonderful Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington, DC
“A wonderful Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before, but had such a great experience at the Shore Hotel, I wanted to share it. The hotel is beautiful (with great ocean views) and located so conveniently in lovely Santa Monica. The rooms are decorated in a strikingly pretty style and color motif. What really makes this hotel stand out however, is the excellent and friendly staff. I felt so warmly welcomed by Lindsay and Stevie at the front desk! James (bell captain) should get an award for patience, as he so kindly took me back and forth between 2 different rooms when I wasn't sure which one I preferred upon check in. Randall (bell staff) should also be commended for his genuine friendliness and helpfulness. When I had a small problem with the bill (which I noticed after I returned home), it was dealt with immediately and with great responsiveness by both Bobby (reservation manager) and Jim the front desk manager. I travel to the LA area at least twice a year and have had the good fortune of staying at many highly rated hotels. However, the Shore Hotel is tops on my list, and I look forward to staying there again when I return to LA in July.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
DieterSchmitz, Director of Guest Services at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Jane V,
Thank you for writing your first review about your time with us here on Trip Advisor. While our location and brand new property is truly breathtaking we agree it is the talented team we have here that takes great pride in providing dedicated uniquely personable service that makes Shore Hotel a truly exceptional guest experience. We will be sure to pass along your praise to Lindsy, Stevie, James, Randall, Bobby, Jim and our entire team who all love hearing feedback from our guests we take such pleasure in serving our valued guests. We cannot wait to have you back with us in July and hope you love our new restaurant that will be open then as well. See you soon and thanks again for such an amazing review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Arabic first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We were greeted wtih a super warm welcome from the reception staff Stevie, which set the tone for our week vacation in Santa Monica. The hotel was simple, clean and modern. It was a little on the pricery side for me, but I was not disappointed. Stevie acted as our LA guide, which was super helpful given that it was our first.. of many trips to LA.

Room Tip: No restaurant or spa.. but they are steps away from the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
DieterSchmitz, Director of Guest at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
StephanieMonicaMills,
We appreciate you choosing us here at Shore Hotel during your travels from Toronto, being described as perfect is quite an honor! We will be sure to pass along your praise to Stevie and our entire passionate team. We aim to create a genuine personable guest experience second to non in every interaction we have and are ecstatic we accomplished this during your time with us. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you soon!
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

When staying in Santa Monica, there just isn't a better location than at the Shore Hotel! My daughter and I stayed two nights during Spring Break and loved the hotel. We arrived at around 8:30 a.m. and our room wasn't yet ready, which we anticipated, so we stored our luggage and walked a few blocks to have breakfast at Jinky's Cafe (great breakfast spot!!!). After breakfast, we returned to the hotel to find that our room was ready. This was an unexpected surprise. The front desk staff were very helpful with any questions I had.

Our room was located on the first floor with a garden view. The room was beautifully appointed with a contemporary flair. I loved the look of the "see-through" bathroom, albeit not practical unless you travel alone or as a couple, but the privacy screen worked very well. I have only two complaints with the room. The first floor rooms (at least the one we were in) require guests to use the elevator to the 2nd floor, walk across the skybridge (over a back alley) and then take another elevator down to the first floor again. That was very cumbersome. The second complaint and a very annoying one, is that there is no AT&T cell coverage. We were unable to use our cellphones in the hotel and I literally had to walk out to the the sidewalk in order to place a call. The great thing about the hotel though is free internet access in the rooms!

At the time of our stay, there was no restaurant on site, but we were able to find plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Speaking of walking distance, there is an abundance of shopping within a few easy blocks. If the Santa Monica Pier were any closer, it would be in the lobby!

This will be my go-to hotel when I visit Santa Monica and I have already begun recommending it to others!

Room Tip: Avoid first floor rooms due to cumbersome access
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DieterSchmitz, Director of Guest Services at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Rajj976,
We aim to create a uniquely personable legendary guest experience far different from the mundane robotic hotel norm many have come to accept and are delighted we accomplished this during your stay with us. We share your feelings regarding Jinky’s being a great local breakfast spot that we love sending our guests to. Part of the Shore experience is that we do not feel guests should ever be charged for amenities such as wireless and usage of our facilities. You are our guest and these fees have no place in our brand or culture. We are aware of the lack of AT&T coverage in our building and are aggressively seeking solutions in the immediate future. We look forward to having you back with us and to take in our restaurant after the opening in July this summer. We thank you for your detailed review and for choosing Shore Hotel!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband and I tend to gravitate toward hotels that have been recently renovated or are newer. The latter applies to this hotel - I think it's only about 6 months old. We had a "partial ocean view" room on the 4th floor which had a terrific view of the Santa Monica pier (including the ferris wheel that lights up at night) and the ocean. I was glad we didn't spend the extra money on a full ocean view but it helped that we were on one of the higher floors.

The 2-queen room was very modern, comfortable, and clean. I appreciate the hotel's efforts to be green like providing recycling containers in the room. They do many other things to preserve Mother Earth as well such as the amazing low-flow rainfall shower heads. A welcome screen on the tv lists all the eco-conscious things they've tried to incorporate in the building of the hotel.

Location-wise this hotel might be in the best spot in Santa Monica if you like the beach, the pier, restaurants and shopping at the Promenade. One tip: parking at the hotel is pricey and there's a much less expensive public garage right behind the hotel on 2nd Street. There's a back entrance to the hotel right across from the garage that makes it convenient so save yourself the money.

We recommend this hotel highly and would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
mes09,
We are glad you choose us here at Shore Hotel as we are just short of 8 months old and definitely fall into your preference of new properties. We have a firm commitment to the environment you will see throughout our hotel in not only our LEED Gold certification but also in various green amenities and programs we offer throughout the property. We are pleased you noticed our in room compendium on our television sets. Our entire passionate team here at Shore Hotel thanks you for your detailed review and hopes to have you with us during your next visit to Santa Monica from Cincinnati!
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This is a brilliant modern hotel on Ocean Avenue. Perfect location, friendly staff, lovely heated outdoor pool, nice rooms. The rooms with ocean view are a MUST and definitely worth the extra cost.

Room Tip: Ocean view definitely worth the extra. Air con unit a little noisy but not a major problem.
Browns30.
Thank you for your review and for your compliments regarding our amicable staff, location and amenities. We appreciate your feedback and thank you or choosing us here at the brand new Shore Hotel!
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My daughters and I wanted a quick Southern California getaway. This was the perfect place. Great location, really hip decor, lovely pool, accommodating staff and reasonable rates. The location is right on the Santa Monica beach strip, across the street from the boardwalk, a really fun after dinner walk. The shopping is great and within blocks of the hotel, very walkable! The hotel is brand new with a very cool vibe.
The weather was great and we spent the day at the beach, came back for a swim in the pool and the hot tub.....very relaxing and so California!
We are going back in August! Can't wait for the hotel restaurant to open!

Room Tip: Partial ocean view or city view.
checklund,
Thank you for your review and for sharing your photo with our Trip Advisor community, we love seeing pictures of our guests taking in everything the Shore Hotel has to offer. We are ecstatic you enjoyed our central location, legendary customer service, world class 5 star amenities and that you were greeted with amazing weather during your visit to Santa Monica. We share your excitement when it comes to our restaurants opening in July and we look forward to your return this summer in August!
Burke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

A fantastic end to a phenomenal trip. Spent three nights at the Shore in the Ocean View Premiere King after driving Route 66. Upgrading to the premiere room was worth every penny. Wonderful treat to end our trip in a luxurious room in a fancy hotel.

My favorite part about the hotel, other than the amazing bed and pillows, spectacular view, awesome modern bathroom, massaging rain shower, sumptuous towels and robes, friendly staff, wait where was I? oh right, my favorite feature of the motel was the LEED amenities. Super handy to have in-room recycling, motion sensors, and a switch by the door to turn out all the lights at once. I also filled the garage recycling container with all the "trash" we picked up from the side of the road and less than an hour later - it had been emptied. The only non-environmentally friendly thing I noted is that the Shore replaces your towel even if you hang it up carefully to reuse. I suppose I could have left the Do Not Disturb light on, but I did like having the room tidied up while we were gone: trash and recycling taken out, clean glasses, new coffee and toiletries etc..

The hotel is also convenient to everything - just across the street from the pedestrian bridge to the pier and around the corner from Third St Promenade.

My only "complaint" would be that the hot tub closes too early. When the attendant came out and told us that the area was closed at 10:00 p.m. we were very disappointed. The pool could close at 10:00 to keep noise down, but the jacuzzi should be open (with quiet rules) until 11:00 or 12:00 IMHO.

Will happily stay here again - hopefully soon.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
VAVagabond,
Thank you for spending 3 nights with us during your road trip and for your review. We appreciate all your amazing compliments regarding our amicable staff and amenities. We are delighted you noticed our numerous amenities coincide specifically with our commitment to the environment. We take great pride in being LEED Gold certified. We also appreciate your suggestions and these have been implemented immediately with our Jacuzzi hours now being open to 11:00 PM. We also thank you for sharing your pictures with our Trip Advisor community. Thank you once again for your detailed review and we hope to see you soon here at Shore Hotel!

Been to Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!