“Truly Modern Hotel - Friendly Staff - Great Location - Inexpensive Parking” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shore Hotel

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Truly Modern Hotel - Friendly Staff - Great Location - Inexpensive Parking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

The hotel definitely lives up to the marketing as it is definitely modern, the pictures are exactly as it looks in person, if not, then better. The furniture and little appointments throughout the room had a modern design and it was all very understated yet colorful and fun looking to definitely suit younger guests (in their 20's or 30's) or ones who are design inclined. The staff was timely and cleaned the entire room and left it as if it was the first time I was walking in. The rain shower head is great for washing away sand and salt. The see-through bathroom was interesting, but be sure to close your blinds to the balcony or any outside windows if you are using it with the shade up, unless you like to put on a show, which in this part of Cali, might be just fine. The entire facility is green friendly, recycled, upcycled, lower water pressure, etc.

The location was key for me, just a couple of minutes from highway-10 and within a 10 -15 minute drive from highway-405, I was certain I had good access to distant places and downtown. Since the hotel is a property away from the intersection of Ocean and Colorado, it makes it easy to go to North to Malibu (straight drive north on Ocean to PCH), south to Venice, and east towards Hollywood and Beverly Hills. Santa Monica Blvd, is a 5 minute walk North and the 3rd street promenade is well, 3 blocks east of there. The pier is across the street from the hotel but does not block the ocean facing view. You can walk to it in 2 minutes from there and the beach is right across the street.

I especially enjoyed the pool as it is heated, and hot tub at night. Given that I was there in December days before Christmas and enjoyed mid 60's, sunny, blue sky weather, to swim at night when it was a bit cooler, having the heated pool allowed me not to skip any of the same summer time activities there. If you get a chance, check out the hotel from across the street at night, as it glows blue from the overhead blue lights and that truly makes this place stand out from the rest, even from some of the other established places such as the Viceroy Hotel, which looks shabby from the outside, even though it has great looking rooms with a $$$$$ price-tag. If you are paying for a hotel with great location, friendly staff, great amenities, modern decor with a hip but not ostentatious outlook, then this is the place and so far I think its style is unmatched. If you catch it on a good sale, then you are going to enjoy it even more.

The lobby reminds me of modern buildings and interiors in architecture magazines that are all glass where seemingly successful people are relaxing in modern white furniture, gazing out to the world with the realization that they are successful and happy. It felt great to sit there waiting for a friend, killing time, or just simply waking through early in the morning to get breakfast or walking in late after a good night out. I thought it was a nice touch, and reminded me that my money was well spent.

Bottom line:
-It is modern.
-It is not just all white modern furniture as there is lots of color in the rooms.
-Staff is friendly.
-Great location with access to the mall right behind it and highways.
-Parking for $30/day is cheap in Santa Monica (compared to $60ish elsewhere) and the garage is well kept which right below the building and available valet.
- You will walk away with a feeling that the money spent here was worth it.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms either facing the ocean or the mall should be good. Other rooms' balconies face each othe...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Nichelle N, Assistant Front Office Manager at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
SJ, thank you very much for your review! Thank you for pointing out that while our hotel is brand new and very modern, it is not too stale, which was very carefully thought out during the design and decorating processes. I am so happy to hear that our location made it that much more perfect for you during your time here in Santa Monica. We take pride in the fact that we are very conveniently located to everything Santa Monica has to offer. Our solar heated pool provided a swimming option for you during the chilly month of December which truly delights us! To know that you feel you have received service that exceeded the price is what we aim to do with each and every guest. I sure hope you visit us again in the near future so we can continue to build upon what sounds like a great 1st impression. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

The wifi doesn't work, terrible cell reception, no true room service, the parking is ridiculous. If you are traveling and hoping to do anything but sleep in this hotel don't bother. The fact that you have a valet in your garage is silly. I only lasted here one night out of a planned 9. I travel to Santa Monica for production constantly and this place, while a nice location and cool modern look is not worth the money.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
DieterSchmitz, Director of Guest Services at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
producer_12,
Firstly thank you for your review. During the time of your stay we did have our first brief outage of our wireless services. I can assure you we exhausted every means available to us to get this resolved but realize due to business relocation was necessary for you due to this technical outage. We take full accountability for this and apologize profusely for the inconveniences this outage caused you. I have contacted your account and would love to have you back with us to take in the Shore Hotel experience many have alluded to as I can guarantee you this problem has been rectified and your next stay with us will bring only the utmost levels of satisfaction.
Laguna Niguel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Love the location. The staff member who checked me in seemed to be having a bad day and looked and acted really cranky. However the room was pretty nice and clean. Central to everything. Parking was easy. We will be back. Hopefully the staff will be having a better day.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify 2 queen beds. We did and they gave us 2 double beds and the same staff member...
engzrbunnie,
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay and that you will be joining us again in the near future. Our team has always striven to provide our guests with a uniquely personable and upbeat experience and I am saddened to hear we were lacking in this regard. I can assure you this has been shared with my team who take our guests feedback very seriously and who take pride in our guests leaving feeling truly valued. We look forward to your return and can assure you that you will be greeted with this personable level of service that has made Shore Hotel the choice destination in Santa Moinica.
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

The Shore was the last of the 5 hotels we stayed on during our trip to the US over New Year's 2012 & it was the only one I hadn't pre-booked before we left Singapore. Reason was that LA was our first & last stop & I wanted to see during our first leg what other hotels we could consider for our final leg & The Shore was a perfect choice!
We visited Santa Monica on a city tour during our first stop in LA & my teenagers loved Santa Monica right away so we looked around for a hotel to consider. The Shore was a natural choice. It's new, directly opposite the Pier, & just behind it is Third Street Promenade.
We drove down from San Francisco & arrived on a Sat afternoon. Check in was super efficient as was parking & unloading the bags with the bellman meeting us in the carpark to take our bags.
Our room faced the Pier as requested & is such a pretty sight especially at night when the ferris wheel is all lit up. I would try & specially request for the rooms closer to the pool though as I didn't realize the hotel also has the side wing & while our room & balcony faced the Pier, immediately in front of us was the carpark of the restaurant next door.
The room was very spacious & whilst the 'open concept' bathroom (clear glass wall between the bathroom & bedroom) would've been nice for young couples or solo travelers, my teenagers immediately closed the privacy screen between the rooms! :)
The bathroom shower had a nice rain shower although the water pressure was a little weak but not notably annoying.
I would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat the next time I'm in Santa Monica & recommend it wholeheartedly to travelers looking for accommodation here.

Room Tip: Although the side wing rooms have a view of a carpark, there's also a small yard immediately dow...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
DieterSchmitz, Director of Guest Services at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
MHMoo,
Thank you for choosing Shore Hotel during your travels from Singapore during your New Year’s celebration. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to right such a detailed review and are delighted you enjoyed our location with breathtaking views, rain showers and spacious rooms during your stay with us. We share your excitement for your return visit and can assure you the Shore Hotel experience will provide the same high levels of satisfaction!
Hamden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

last minute reservation, great deal, great location, cute boutique hotel, liked the decor
hotel recently reopened, great staff

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
DieterSchmitz, Director of Guest Services at Shore Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
value_traveler_MT,
On behalf of our entire team here at the brand new Shore Hotel we thank for choosing us as your premiere luxury destination in Santa Monica! We thank you for your review and hope to see you next time your travels bring you to our beautiful city.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

This hotel was phenomenal. The staff is friendly, the view was great, the room was nicely decorated and I loved my stay.

You can stand in the shower and watch the waves hitting the ocean at the same time.

If you are coming to Los Angeles and need a place to stay The Shore Hotel has it all!

You are also steps away from the beach, shopping, resturants, and bars!

Room Tip: All the rooms are superb but of course and Ocean view is amazing :)
KeyaD1,
We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent experience with us. The ability to be able to stand in our spacious spa like rain showers while watching the waves and sunset is a feature we are very proud to offer our guests here and we were glad you were able to enjoy these breathtaking views. We hope to see have you join us again in the near future!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed at the Shore Hotel during Christmas week 2011, 1 room for 7 days. I had a beach front ocean view and it was spectacular, at any time of day. There was a small terrace if you wanted to sit outside and take pictures or read the paper. The hotel is very centrally located to all of the main attractions, Promenade and Santa Monica Pier, everything is in walking distance. The rooms were extremely clean, the bed was very comfortable with plush pillows.
the room was very beautiful, this Hotel helped make my vacation so enjoyable. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. I will definitely stay there again when I come back into town.i will highly recommend the hotel to all of my friends.

Room Tip: Beach front view but still very quiet.
Denise R,
Thank you for spending 7 days with us over Christmas. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location to all the amazing locations Santa Monica has to offer as well as our pristine rooms, and luxurious bedding. Our slogan here at Shore Hotel for our guests is “Anything…Anything…Your escape is our passion” and we take this responsibility of creating a luxurious escape and experience very seriously. We are very happy we succeeded in doing so during your stay and look forward to your return to us!

Been to Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!