“Good and Bad” 2 of 5 stars

Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Ocean Ave., Santa Monica, CA 90401 (Santa Monica)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early-Up To 20% Off!
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
london
“Good and Bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2005

I was not too happy with The Loews when we booked in after an 11 hr flight to find they did not have our room ready for our 7 night stay despite the fact we had booked and paid months in advance and had called them a few days before we arrived to check everything was OK (I had booked the holiday online and was a bit worried)
There were three other people being dealt with at the desk before us who obviously had some problems also - which did not bode well - and I had to smile when I heard one man being offered cookies and milk to be sent to his room - obviously their standard way of dealing with a problem!
Anyway - they booked us in to a smoking room that stank of smoke that had been covered up with a horrible air-freshener- we could not unpack and the next day could not go far afield because we did not know when they would want us to move. Even though we had not unpacked properly it seemed to be impossible for them to move our cases to our proper room without us being there !
The room did have a patio though - so I sunbathed there while my partner went roller blading - however - while I was asleep the maids locked me out on the patio with no phone, water,suncream - so I got burnt and dehydrated before luckily my partner returned to let me in.
BTW - the bottle of Fiji water in your room is NOT complementary as I presumed - it costs $7 !!! - but only $1.50 in the supermarket.
They refunded the charge when I told them about being locked on the patio however.
Despite having the first day of my holiday ruined - once we were moved to our proper ocean-view room I DID manage to enjoy my holiday.
The hotel was very nice - not as posh as Le Merigot or Shutters - but I liked it. The bed was VERY comfortable ( both of them ) - the lobby and little fireplace place area overlooking the beach was nice.The hotel is not ON the beach - but it is only separated from the beach by a quiet road that hardly anyone drives down - it's no biggy to cross it. It is very handy if you like rollerblading. The pool is not huge but big enough although shallow.
If you sunbathe around the pool - it is very windy and cold at the front - overlooking the beach - but this bit gets the sun all day - so pro's and cons.
I was disappointed there is no tea and coffee making facility in the room althoughg at least the post from someone else had alerted me to this. We bought coffees each morning from the lobby as I could not be bothered to pack a kettle ! The first room we had had a pitiful hairdryer that could not have dried anything - but the second room's hairdryer was very good.
Staff were all friendly and nice - overall if they could have sorted out their reservations system it would have been perfect.
BTW - some friends stayed at The Bayside Motel just down the road and although it had no air-conditioning (not essential in May) and was fairly basic - they were very happy with it. When they asked for a hairdryer and an iron it was brought to theur room and the guy refused to take a tip.
THey were also very helpful about parking which was free - unlike Loews.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Indonesian first
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Loews over Memorial Day weekend. I also joined the frequent guest program at the advice of a friend who said we'd get some extra perks and better service. Heh. I requested milk and warm cookies as our arrival gift, and a copy of USA Today the next morning. Our room rate was 'just' $210 because we were part of a block of rooms given at a group rate.

We stayed just one night as we were attending a wedding at another hotel down the street. I booked the room somewhat last minute....but it was still 3 days in advance. The morning of the wedding (the night we stayed) I called the hotel to confirm our reservation and was assured that our room would be ready by the 3pm check-in time. The wedding was at 6pm and we needed the time to get ready. I informed them we would arrive shortly after 3pm and were assured the room would be ready.

We arrived just before 3pm, a little ahead of schedule, and looked for some self-parking as I'd heard the valet parking was pricey. There was no self-parking available at the hotel. There were some meters on the street, and some public beach parking (daytime only) behind the hotel...but neither of those would have worked for us since we were going to be simply parking the car for a full 24 hours and walking everywhere. So we went ahead and went the hotel's valet parking, which is $26.00 per day for hotel guests (charged to your room). $26.00 a DAY to park a car...and this is a hotel (on their website) that claims to be unpretentious!

So, we get inside the lobby about 3:10pm and find a rather long line of people waiting to check-in. No huge problem, since it seemed to be moving...but it still took 20 minutes to get to the front desk. It gave us a chance to look around. The lobby seemed quite nice, rather upscale - which we expected considering that this a 'luxury' beach hotel. Once there we were told that our room was not ready. That didn't go over very well, especially since I had specifically called earlier in that day and was promised that our room would be ready. The young man checking us in said that they were at 100% capacity and didn't have any other rooms available for us...except for one, which was 2 doubles instead of a king. If we were going to be staying more than one night I would have considered it....but we were only there for one night and we wanted the king bed. Two doubles was simply unacceptable for various reasons. He tried to offer us a different room, so I give him credit for that, but it seemed like a half-hearted attempt to appease us. The desk staff seemed a bit too aloof to care about us.

They put some kind of rush on our room, but we still had to wait in the lobby over 30 minutes before we could get up to our room. Again, under normal circumstances this would not have been a major inconvenience, but here it was 4pm...we had to leave by 5:30pm to get to the other hotel for the wedding, which was at 6pm ...and we were still sitting in the lobby.

We got to the room, finally, and found it to be much smaller than expected. It was also quite warm. There was a thermostat in the room, but the air didn't circulate very well and it remained fairly warm the entire time. Our "city view from a balcony" was a view of the neighboring hotel and alley from a 'balcony' about 12 inches deep - hardly a balcony. All one could do was squeeze out there and stand.

Then.... the hair dryer was broken. There was actually a little bit of mold/mildew around the bottom of tub...a handprint on the bedroom wall...and a blob of something (I'm afraid to guess) on the headboard. Housekeeping did eventually deliver another hairdryer...but the gentleman who did barely spoke a word of English. My hair was still wet, though by the time we had to leave for the wedding...which was outdoors and freezing. I've spent the last several days in bed sick because of it, too.

The good? The shower was small, but lovely. The showerhead was a 'rain shower' type and had fantastic pressure. The bed was very comfy.

Too bad the room was unbearably warm. Our milk and warm cookies turned out to be cold cookies and warm carbonated fruit juice. A couple of the bath towels, though large...and supposedly clean had what I can only assume were pubic hairs stuck in them. The cookies were good, though. USA Today turned out to be the LA Times. And to top it all off, our guest folio was never slipped under our door or delivered to us. When we checked out, they acted as if it were some huge undertaking to print out a copy of it.

I know this is a beach resort and as such the prices will be higher. But c'mon…even though I had a discount, I still paid a small fortune for a small, lackluster room and pathetic service. I have stayed in rooms less than half the cost and received better service and had larger more comfortable rooms. Needless to say we didn't even want to touch the mini bar ($7.00 for a bottle of water!). We refused to spend any money there except for the room/taxes and parking. The valet service was good, though. Our car was waiting for us as promised. I'm not sure it was worth $26.00 (plus tip)...but it was good.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2005

Me and my daughter arrived in Santa Monica on April the 21. For a month up to the day of arrival I had read and re-read the reviews on all the upper class hotels in Santa Monica and could never make a choice. After we arrived the choice was clear. The Loews Santa Monica was the closest to the pier, was the nicest looking and had the best prices. We were able to get an ocean view room for the price of standard rooms elsewhere.

Upon arrival everything was done for me. I never had to lift a finger. They were always there before I needed them, and extremely friendly. They even offered to put together a stroller I had bought at an outside store. After we arrived at our room they sent a complimentary bottle of wine and fresh cold milk on ice along with cookies for my daughter. It was then I decided I wanted to move in. My daughter went swimming at their heated pool and afterword I relaxed in their generous bathtub while watching the overhead tv and sipped on a glass of wine. The beds are so plush and comfortable. The sheets feel as if they are satin and everthing is topped with down pillows and a down comforter.
The next morning when I awoke to find my daughter had a fever. The concierge printed out detailed maps of the closest clinics and their phone numbers.
Evertime I called for sevice they answered usually on the first ring and I never had to wait for help.
Their moto is star treatment and this is definatley what I got.
I will definatly be back.

• Stayed April 2005
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2005

I stayed with my family on 5/1. Got there at 11pm and was planning to stay for two days. We were at of ther the next morning at 7am. The hotel is not the Loews at Miami Beach. Aparently this hotel had it's glory days, but the area is just in the decline. The hotel was empty. The hotel had a moisty smell. The rooms are old. The bathtub had hair in it. The toilet was broken. After reading the other reviews I was wondering how can people find this hotel Exellent. The hotel only deserves two stars. When we got to our room I counted 5 room services tables in the hallway of leftovers from guest's room services. When we left the room the next day, the 5 table plus 2 more were still the hallway. This is something you don't even see at 1 star hotel. The hotel is not worth the $350+ per night, plus the $27 parking fee. After our 1 night stay we moved to the Park Hyatt in LA and pay $233. The Hyatt is a true 4 star hotel. I recomend it 100%.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2005

I had the pleasure of staying at the hotel for a conference. My room was small but it was above average and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel's location is primo. The ocean right outside the door is wonderful. You can walk to Santa Monica Pier and there are great shops and restaurants also within walking distance. The smog was a killer, so the air conditioned room saved my sinuses at night.

Upon checkout the hotel overcharged my credit card twice for my 5 day stay and when I called to complain the credit department called my bank and promptly took care of the problem. They followed up with a phone call to make sure I was satisfied. I was impressed with their willingness to make sure the issue was rectified promptly.

I will definately be back.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Been to Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!