“Nice hotel at an obviously great location on the beach” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Ocean Ave., Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early-Up To 20% Off!
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles
“Nice hotel at an obviously great location on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Used some Southwest Rapid Rewards points to get a free night prior to the L.A. Marathon (wanted to be close to the shuttles leaving for Dodger stadium at Santa Monica Civic Center nearby).
The idea was that I'd get a good night sleep away from my family (8 month old baby at home - yes, I have an awesome wife!).

The room was about what I expected: clean, super comfy bed, flat screen TV, outside sitting area across from the beach. Pretty nice and the price was right. Valet however, was not included - $34 per day. Didn't have any issues retrieving my car (the valet service operates 24 hours a day).

For dinner, I ordered from the onsite room service a pasta dish with vegetables and chicken - it was fine, but felt it's a bit overpriced for what it was -- but again, consider the brand and location -- you're paying for that. There was a small bottle of Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon in the room - couldn't resist having that - but know that in room vending is expensive -- that little bottle cost me $56! The flipside to all this is that I brought my own food for breakfast and coffee (I'm superstitious about my pre-run coffee ritual). Microwaves are not in the rooms, but can be brought to your room and cost nothing - just request this at checkin, or call and add the note to your reservation).

I wasn't here long and didn't use the pool or anything like that but I'm sure those facilities are nice. I've eaten at Ocean and Vine, the onsite restaurant, so I already knew I'd like the hotel's ambiance and location. I checked my employer's corporate Amex travel booking site and this room would have cost $350/night + taxes/fees - pretty expensive, but if you want a location right in Santa Monica, on the beach, within walking distance of the SM Promenade, this would be an excellent choice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
LoewsSantaMonica, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear brendonla,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in town for the L.A. Marathon, we are glad we could provide a convenient home base for you. We are very happy to hear you had a comfortable stay and hope you made out well in the run. Thank you for recognizing the value you received at Loews, and please come back soon so you can experience our relaxing pool and other top-notch facilities.

Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Indonesian first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We had an amazing time. The property is beautiful and you couldn't be in a better location right in front of muscle beach and within walking distance of the pier. We upgraded to a mini-suite and were so glad for the extra square footage and ability to close the bedroom door. Every staff member was so friendly and helpful. We would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Rachel K, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear SuzanneLVOD,

Thanks for the amazing review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our property and everything our prime location has to offer and also excited that you will be returning – we can’t wait.

Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The best part of staying at this hotel, were the friendly staff, manager Randy, and bell hops. That's it! My room, which cost over $1,400 for 3 nights, was dusty, old, paint and wall paper peeling off ceiling and walls. The closest door was stuck and I couldn't open it. The bed was horrible. The controls for the A/C didn't work well and I had to push over and over to turn off and on or temperature up or down!!. The windows and doors, looked like someone tried to repair, but never really finished and painted it. It looked sloppy and unkempt!
I tried to get my room comped but was told my card was already charged and I couldn't do that. Instead I was moved to another room. This room faced the pool and others windows, so I had to keep my curtains closed. I lost my ocean view but was still charged the same amount. Upon wakening the next morning, I decided I'd rather be home in my own bed, and checked out a day early. Randy the manager, did refund that last night, because I left. But I was surprised that I saw a nice "review" from Zagot.com, framed and prominently displayed on the front desk. It read in part.." Lovely rooms, Amazing beds, and Lovely ocean views.." How can they put such an untrue review of a hotel, that obviously desperately in need of a Face lift! If I were the owners, I would close for a few months, and renovate the entire hotel from top to bottom. The bar also had a blocked ocean view..that was so small. The entire experience was awful, but was told the GM, would contact me via mail, and possibly send me something? Ill be waiting, but until then, I will never stay here again, or suggest to anyone to do so either.

Room Tip: Choose a room, at a different hotel altogether!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
LoewsSantaMonica, Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We have indeed reached out to you privately.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

From the time we were greeted when we pulled up to the resort thru the time we checked out our stay was nothing short of first class everyone was friendly and very helpful!! Loved the place!! The bell captain Roger could not have been nicer. The front desk the waiters. The entire staff understands what great service is all about!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Rnunl,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your first class experience. We will be sure to share your note about our friendly and helpful service with the staff, especially Roger. Please come visit us again soon.

Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Our room was on the 4th floor which was on the same floor as the lobby. I was somewhat satisfied when we walked in the room with a slight partial view of pier and ocean. The bed was one of the biggest problems. A replacement is in order, room 454. Our main window overlooked The Hotel California and a small roadway. It was loud with vehicles and people for most of the day. The first morning, I was awakened by a trash truck. Oh well, was here on business tab, so didn't complain. Oddly, the bathroom had no door on the area with a sink. Hard not to awaken my spouse when I had a 6 pm wake up and shower. Wi-fi was an ongoing problem until I called and was transferred to someone who took all my information and hooked my devices up. My spouse and I agree that it just didn't feel like a four star hotel. I did use the spa my last day and reserved time for the "signature beachcomber massage." It was so poorly done that when I was asked how I enjoyed it, I said that it was a disappointment and a bad reflection on the hotel, and wouldn't sign up for it again. The spa receptionist did discount a $135 massage 20%. With the tip, I paid $123. I didn't spend any other monies in the hotel. I learned a valuable lesson here. I have a general rule since I've wasted money on hotel and cruise spa treatments in the past, no spas, but after reading good reviews online about the Lowe's spa, I gave it a try. My rule was a good one; I shouldn't have deviated. Proximity to restaurants, shopping, and pier was great. The beach is a short walk, but to my surprise quite a distance to walk on the sand to get to the waters edge. The hot tub was so packed with people that I would never consider getting in. And the pool, well it was quite small and generally full of adults and children. Didn't seem at all relaxing. Quite frankly, I was glad to leave when the time came. The bellman asked how our stay was. Without an immediate response from us, he commented, "that good, uh?" There you have it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Luanne47,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy that you enjoyed your room’s ocean view and our hotel’s close proximity to the beach but are sorry to hear of your experience with the location and layout of your guest room. We also apologize for any frustration with the Wi-Fi and disappointed to hear of your feedback about our spa. Please rest assured that we will investigate these issues immediately, and we apologize that your impression was not a better reflection of our commitment to excellence. We do value your feedback and would love to have you back. We have contacted you privately to ensure your next stay will be comfortable.

Kensington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

A very nice hotel. Staff were extremely friendly and courteous. Hotel was clean and views outstanding. With the exception of overcharging for amenities which is common in upper scale hotels the hotel was just excellent. If you got the cash you can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Rachel K, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Michael C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for recognizing the value Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel provides. We are very happy that you had an outstanding stay, we value your feedback.

Winchester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We had a short trip to Santa Monica and were sad to leave this hotel! The views and location are amazing! The lobby is beautiful, and watching the sunset from the terrace was breathtaking. The concierge, wait staff and front desk were all very friendly and helpful. The one waiter outside was a little overwhelmed, but it wasn't his fault he was the only waiter out there. It's a great perk to have free rentals for the beach. We would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear e g,

We were sad to see you leave as well. Thank you for taking the time to share your appreciation of Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel’s top-notch property and staff. We would also gladly have you back in a heartbeat so please be sure to come back for more breathtaking sunsets.

Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel

Been to Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!