“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Ocean Ave., Santa Monica, CA 90401 (Santa Monica)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early-Up To 20% Off!
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scottsdale, AZ
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed for a night after a weekend at Disneyland and fell in love with this hotel. The service was excellent. The staff went above and beyond to accommodate our needs. You cannot beat the location in Santa Monica. The views and decor were spectacular. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
LoewsSantaMonica, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Silygrl-
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent experience at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. We are delighted to learn that you and your family enjoyed a wonderful beach front experience and equally pleased that you found our level of service to be excellent. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future!
Paul Leclerc – Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Indonesian first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was on a girls weekend staying at the Loews Hotel, and needed to continue my training for a upcoming running road race, but also wanted a fun boot camp on the beach with my friends. Lisa Brisse, owner of State of the Heart fitness (located in the Loews Hotel Spa, Santa Monica) discussed our needs and set us up with a personal trainer. Rob S. Roberston, is an AWESOME trainer. Rob did a tough TRX class on the beach for 4 women. The TRX bootcamp on the beach was challenging and fun. The view of the ocean made you forget how hard you were working. Rob S. Robertson also went with me on a fast paced 5mile jog along Palisades Park and we did intervals on a set of stairs. Thank you for assisting me with my training and for creating a fun boot camp on the beach for my friends. We had a blast. Thank you Lisa. Thank you Rob. We will be back next year!

Room Tip: Book a personal training session on the beach, with State of the Heart fitness inside the Spa at the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MH
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel and for specifically highlighting your experience with the State of the Heart Fitness program at our Ocean Spa and Fitness Center. We are especially proud of this affiliation and so pleased to hear that the custom program they created for you and your friends was a rewarding, challenging, and worthwhile experience. As the locals know, there is no better training inspiration than the view of the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Monica Mountains – all visible from the boardwalk in front of the Hotel. We eagerly await your return to Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, see you next year!
Wakefield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here recently on a quick jaunt to Los Angeles to see old friends. The impression is grand upon check in with the beautiful atrium ceiling and a very well-kept lobby and bar, but things go down hill from there. We specifically requested a full ocean view room when we booked our hotel 6mos before, which was ensured and double checked a week before we arrived. What we arrived to was view of a sliver of beach only when you pressed your face up to the glass. The room was musty and smelled slightly of cigarette smoke. Although we were told we were in the part of the hotel with the newer bathrooms, the finish work was really poor even for mass production hotel standards. But i work in construction so i notice these things. The pool was filled with 20 or 30 children that were having a lot of fun but were very loud. You can clearly hear shrieks from the pool in the room, which puts a damper on any ideas we had for an afternoon nap. We were not really happy with our room, our view, the noise, or the fact that wifi was charged by the hour, so the manager offered us a money voucher to use toward rooms service or drinks at the bar, which was nice and made us feel a little better about everything. To be expected the minibar items were very expensive. The location is great however if your primary interest is Santa Monica shopping, restaurants and the pier. You are steps from the beach and 3rd street promenade. Lots of good restaurants all around like sushi Roku and Jinky's cafe. The valet staff are excellent as well, very nice and helped us get a taxi to and back from a restaurant deep in Topanga Canyon (not easy). Room service breakfast was good and arrived on time both mornings. Also they have a very nice gym which a great range of equipment.

Room Tip: Don't count on getting an actual ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Don't be deceived by the beach location. This is not a beach hotel. It's quite amazing how this hotel gets in the way of the beach. The pool is sandwiched between 2 wings of the tall, concrete building, and thus is shaded most the day, incredibly. There's an ocean view--but through glass barricades, even from the pool! The vast majority of rooms do not face the ocean. I am in a deluxe room, which was advertised as having a full ocean view and balcony. The balcony is 1 foot deep, I kid you not. The view is of trash cans and dirty rooftops, and if I step onto the "balcony", I can look out onto the beach. I crawled into bed, and found that neither of the 2 bedside lamps work. After I called the front desk, an "engineer" showed up at my door with 2 lightbulbs and handed them to me! "I am paying $400 a night to change your lightbulbs?" I said. And it wasn't even a lightbulb problem--they never bothered to plug either lamp in! Stay here if you want to be within a short drive or long walk from the 3rd Street Promenade. Stay here if you can

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
LoewsSantaMonica, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
LATraveler198
Thank you for taking the time to share with us the details of your recent stay at our hotel. Needless to say, we were extremely disappointed to learn of your less than desirable experience when interacting with a team member from our engineering department. This is certainly not indicative of the type of service on which we pride ourselves. Please accept my most sincere apologies for this lapse in service and for the inconvenience this caused you. Be assured that we have addressed this issue with the appropriate manager in order to better serve our guests. In reference to our room categories, you mentioned that you booked a deluxe category room. Our deluxe category rooms, as described on our website, “…offer North or South facing views that offer a glimpse of the pacific or of our pool… enjoy a sliding glass door with a small step out balcony.” We want to apologize for any miscommunication regarding the room view. We strive to deliver supremely comfortable accommodations with exceptional service coupled with a great location for easy access to all that Santa Monica has to offer. It is our hope that you will allow us another opportunity in the future to show you that this past experience was the exception and not the rule. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time your travels bring you the Santa Monica area.
Haarlem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Over the last couple of years we always stay in the Loews and not in a LA hotel.It is nice to be in the quite atmosphere of Santa Monica and this hotel gives you the rght feeling of California and the beach.Walk out the back door immediately to the beach and to the pier.Venice Beach is in walking distance.The area also offers many good restaurants and it is easy to drive into LA and along the coast to Malibu.The hotel service is always efficient and friendly and the light and open structure of the hotel gives you a pleasant feeling.Getting a room with sea view is not easy however.If ons wants this one should be very careful with the booking.Partly sea view could mean that you really have to hang out of the window to see the sea.

Room Tip: Even booking a luxury room with part sea view does not give you a guarantee.You have to negotiate at...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
LoewsSantaMonica, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Nico –
Thank you so very much for your continued loyalty and support of the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. We continually strive to provide our guests an enjoyable beach front experience with comfortable accommodations and excellent service. As you so kindly mention, our location is perfectly suited to enjoying all that Santa Monica and Los Angeles have to offer. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoy our hospitality. We appreciate greatly that you have continued to visit us over the years and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
-Paul Leclerc, Managing Director
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I could give this place a higher rating except our clerk at check in was a bit surly and when we asked for a change in our room (we faced the street which was very noisy) we were told "95% of the rooms in our class of room face the street" (a lie). The clerk was unhelpful and not even empathetic - just didn't want to change our room.

The second insult came after I signed up for high speed internet for my laptop at $11.95 per day. When I tried to log on to the wifi with my cell phone, I was told, "I'm sorry but it is $11.95 per day per device!" Good thing I didn't bring my iPad or my wife her computer!

This hotel purports to be a high class convention hotel claiming a great location on Santa Monica beach. It is sandwiched between the beach and Ocean Avenue so it has a four or five star location if your room faces the beach but a one star location if your room faces the street.

For the cost of a room at this hotel, I'm sure one can do better. (I didn't even mention the old style bath tub. This must be a renovation.) I'm sorry the meeting we were attending was based here!

Room Tip: Insist that your room NOT face Ocean Avenue. It is very noisy with traffic!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Toby C.
We know that your time is valuable so we thank you so very much for sharing with us your recent experience at our hotel. We take great pride and make every effort to provide each and every one our guests with the best possible room assignments coupled with excellent facilities and service. It is disappointing to learn that we were not able to resolve your concerns satisfactorily and furthermore that the team member with whom you interacted was less than hospitable. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this caused you. Your feedback has been forwarded to the appropriate managers for follow-up in an effort to improve our services. We are pleased that you enjoyed the beach front location of the hotel and hope that you will give us an opportunity to be of service to you in the very near future.

New York & Bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My feeling about this hotel is that because of its great location and all the groups they get booked they are able to keep the hotel pretty full most of the year and don't really need to go the extra mile to make this a truly great hotel. That said my experience was better than when i stayed a couple of years ago. Also location is really wonderful and the hotel has a nice over all feel and very relaxed yet luxurious vibe. The whole hotel is well lit and has a nice airy feel.

We arrived at the hotel around 1pm after travelling 18 hours from Asia, and our room was not ready. This was very disapointing and we were told that normal check in time is 4pm and that is the time we should expect our room to be ready. The room was ready at 3:45pm.

After waiting travelling 18 hours from Asia, then waiting almost 3 hours for the room to be ready we were totally exhausted when we finally got into the room. My wife crawled right into bed and fell asleep in 2 minutes. I was hungry and called room service almost right away. A few minutes after I called room service the phone rang and I figued they had a questions about my order. Instead the person said they were calling from security and that they wanted to let me know there was no smoking in the hotel. I said thanks for the reminder (neither my wife nor I are smokers) why the phone call. He then told me that he had complaints of smoke from our room in really accusatory tone. I told him he had the wrong room but he insisted the complaints were about us and our room. I invited him to come and visit our room if he did not believe me and he finally said he would take my word for it, but the whole conversation and accusation did not sit right with me and left me feeling angry and upset the rest of our stay. I just hate being accused of something i did not do and coming right after our long journey and the inconvenience of needing to wait for a room it was a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. But again my feeling is they are full so often they just don't care if one or two occasional visitors are happy or not.

Breakfast was very good, both in the restaurant and room service. It seems like there are a lot of meetings/groups/conferences at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AsiaExpat77

Thank you for choosing Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel for your recent visit and for taking the time to share the details of your experience with us. We do regret that your room was not available for an early check-in when you arrived to the hotel. We can certainly appreciate how difficult and exhausting 18 hours of travel time can be. As well, we were disappointed to learn of the less than gracious encounter you experienced with one of our Security team members’. We would like to extend our sincere apologies for this lapse in service. Please be assured that we have followed up with the appropriate manager to ensure that this type of incident is not repeated. We know that you have many hotel options when visiting the Santa Monica area and hope that you will allow us another opportunity in the future to exceed your every expectation.

Paul Leclerc – Managing Director

Been to Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!