“Excellent Conference Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Ocean Ave., Santa Monica, CA 90401 (Santa Monica)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early-Up To 20% Off!
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Excellent Conference Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week while helping run a company conference at the hotel. The staff was excellent, the location is incredible (short walking distance to the Santa Monica Pier) and the food service was very very good. I was routinely surprised by the hotel's willingness to accommodate us. Nice bar and pool areas and a good fitness center too!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Indonesian first
berks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We booked in to this hotel when we 'escaped' from the London in West Hollywood. It was Saturday night and the hotel was very busy. However, the reception staff could not have been more helpful. We arrived early and had to wait from 1.30 to 4.00 to check in. That was not their fault. We were early. Despite this, they compensated us for the wait by paying for our dinner. In the morning, we asked for a late checkout as we were taking a night flight. They could not do this but paid for breakfast. Neither of these did they have to do but it left us feeling very positive. Just one warning. At 8am we watched people putting towels on the prime recliners by the pool and then disappearing. Very selfish and very annoying.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Overall a nice hotel with good rooms and a great location. Tried the sushi at the Ocean & Vine restaurant which I wouldn't recommend. The hotel charges for wifi access on a per device basis so if you have a laptop + iPad + 2 phones = $48 per day. SCAM!!!! The hotel had a seminar/convention on so from about 7 am I could hear a 100 people at my front door.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was very excited to stay at this property based upon positive past experiences at other Loews, but unfortunately this location was a bust. First off, I was in town to run the LA Marathon; I selected this hotel from a list of hotels offered by the Marathon website so I assumed they were in partnership with the event, I was mistaken. Here are my main complaints…
-Room was smaller than I expected and not well insulated, you could hear toilets flushing next door and hear everyone in the hall very clearly. Also, the sink area of the bathroom did not have a door so if you got up during the night and washed your hands the light and noise was sure the wake the other guest.
-High additional charges, $36/day for valet, yikes! Internet is $11.95. I thought this would buy me 24 hours of use as is typical at other properties, but I was wrong. It only buys you time from 12:00 (noon) to 12:00 (noon), the following day. So if you buy internet at 11:00am it will expire in 1 hour, promptly at 12:00, eekk!
-I requested a late checkout (to run the marathon) and hopefully take quick shower but they were very strict and would not give ANY later check-out – wow! So unless I could run a 2:30 marathon I would have to be checked out prior to running and have no shower, what a waste. I would think a hotel listed on the Marathon website would actually try to be somewhat accommodating to their runners and guests.
I will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My client made all the travel plans and booked us into the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, so I wasn't paying real attention, but wow, what a great, very pleasant surprise! We checked in relatively late (10:00pm), but the door staff and the reception staff were very warm and welcoming, as well as effective and efficient, very unlike my own mental state, so the welcome / reception was my first impression and was a very good one. The room was spacious, big bathroom, very well done. And, my pet peeve, a table to work on, which also faces the television, so I can watch CNBC while phoning and e-mailing for maximum multi-tasking. We met for a drink at the lobby bar. True to form in the L.A. area, the bartender was an actress, very engaging and personable, who regaled us with stories of the TV commercials she was doing. Great atmosphere, well-done lobby, bar, the whole thing. AND, it's right on the beach. Too bad I was on business, but will definitely plan ahead next time and carve out some extra time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a fantastic time in Santa Monica. What a place. In LA and yet a million miles away.

We stayed at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel for 7 days on a recent trip to the US. It offered everything you could expect. A Great pool area, easy access to the beach and all the attractions of Santa Monica.

You pay for parking and internet which is always a sore point for me given you are paying top dollar. But, otherwise the staff and service are first class. Look out for Sergio on the pool deck, he is one of the managers and he went out of his way to make sure we were always looked after.

Oh and try the fish tacos.... On the pool deck. What a way to end the day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mountlake Terrace, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My mom and I spent a night at this hotel to celebrate my birthday. It is a beautiful hotel, great location too. You just cross a small street and you are on the beach. The room was very nice with a view of the pool and Santa Monica Pier and ocean. Everyone was very friendly who worked at the hotel too. It was very refreshing. The guy who checked us in, the bellmen, the guy at the spa desk and the excercise class teacher and waitress, were all wonderful. There were really great common areas in the lobby area, very relaxing to hang out and have lunch, drinks or just relax and talk or read. Great pool area and gym and spa. They even have excersize classes. I did the Pilates Fusion class and it was great. I highly reccommend this hotel!

Room Tip: I got a Travelzoo rate that included an upgrade. It made it a little more affordable.