“On the Beach! And on Business!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Ocean Ave., Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early-Up To 20% Off!
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“On the Beach! And on Business!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My client made all the travel plans and booked us into the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, so I wasn't paying real attention, but wow, what a great, very pleasant surprise! We checked in relatively late (10:00pm), but the door staff and the reception staff were very warm and welcoming, as well as effective and efficient, very unlike my own mental state, so the welcome / reception was my first impression and was a very good one. The room was spacious, big bathroom, very well done. And, my pet peeve, a table to work on, which also faces the television, so I can watch CNBC while phoning and e-mailing for maximum multi-tasking. We met for a drink at the lobby bar. True to form in the L.A. area, the bartender was an actress, very engaging and personable, who regaled us with stories of the TV commercials she was doing. Great atmosphere, well-done lobby, bar, the whole thing. AND, it's right on the beach. Too bad I was on business, but will definitely plan ahead next time and carve out some extra time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a fantastic time in Santa Monica. What a place. In LA and yet a million miles away.

We stayed at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel for 7 days on a recent trip to the US. It offered everything you could expect. A Great pool area, easy access to the beach and all the attractions of Santa Monica.

You pay for parking and internet which is always a sore point for me given you are paying top dollar. But, otherwise the staff and service are first class. Look out for Sergio on the pool deck, he is one of the managers and he went out of his way to make sure we were always looked after.

Oh and try the fish tacos.... On the pool deck. What a way to end the day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mountlake Terrace, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My mom and I spent a night at this hotel to celebrate my birthday. It is a beautiful hotel, great location too. You just cross a small street and you are on the beach. The room was very nice with a view of the pool and Santa Monica Pier and ocean. Everyone was very friendly who worked at the hotel too. It was very refreshing. The guy who checked us in, the bellmen, the guy at the spa desk and the excercise class teacher and waitress, were all wonderful. There were really great common areas in the lobby area, very relaxing to hang out and have lunch, drinks or just relax and talk or read. Great pool area and gym and spa. They even have excersize classes. I did the Pilates Fusion class and it was great. I highly reccommend this hotel!

Room Tip: I got a Travelzoo rate that included an upgrade. It made it a little more affordable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We spent 2 nights here by default (originally booked jw marriott but they were over sold so the put us up here) We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay! We were in a large king room on the second floor with ocean views. The view was slightly obstructed by scaffolding as they were renovating the exterior of the building and we didnt hear any construction noise. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is very beautiful and has a nice pool area with cool fire pits in the of the poolside tables to keep you warm on chilly nights. The hotel is also within walking distance of the beach, santa monica pier, third street prominade, restuarants and buses. We will definitely stay here again the next tme we are in santa monica

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I had a very spacious and comfortable room and made use of the big and full equipped gym and the heated swimming pool where they even marked one lane for swimmers. Breakfast was served a little slow so I had to take it with me in the car to be on time for my meetings but the next day I just picked a quick breakfast and coffee from the bar. Wished I had more time around my meetings to enjoy the facilities.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rapid City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Even though the hotel is in a fabulous location, the rooms for 300.00-400.00 a night are not any better than most hotels I've stayed in that were around 100.00. The service was very good though. Beware, it will cost you 36.00/day to park there. My big complaint is I just received my invoice by email. They over charged me by 75.00 per night that I was there and also charged me for four days for parking my car there instead of three. After I called to request a refund for the difference, they sent me a new invoice that charged me for three phone call at 25.00 that I didn't make nor were they on my original invoice. Needless to say a place like this should be able to bill correctly.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
LoewsSantaMonica, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear bbwl,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share the details of your recent experience at our hotel. It was disappointing to learn of the billing errors you encountered with your final bill. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this caused you. We do hope that these billing issues were resolved to your satisfaction. If this is not the case, please do not hesitate to contact my office so that I can assist in resolving this matter immediately. We appreciate your business and look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel in the very near future.

Paul Leclerc – Managing Director
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Was looking for a good hotel in a central Santa Monica location and I have to say that Loews met this requirement. A great pool and just a short walk to the beach.
We checked in, dumped our bags and then hit Santa Monica. When we got back into our room we discovered that rain from the night before had soaked the carpet. We phoned reception who sent an engineer to check the significance of the damage, after checking the carpet the engineer informed us that we would have to move rooms and that he would arrange this.
A few minutes later we got a call from Christina at the front desk who was very sorry for the inconvenience, arranged to move us to another room and then offered us a discount on our rate. We found Christina's response to the issue to be generous and very customer focused, we will certainly stay here again the next time we are in Santa Monica.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!