“Wonderful location, very nice service” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Ocean Ave., Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early-Up To 20% Off!
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manhattan Beach, California
“Wonderful location, very nice service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We (two adults, one 4year old) stayed at the LSM for two nights over NYE.
Pros: The locations is amazing, right on the beach with the Pier and 3rd street promenade a quick walk away. 2. The pool area is nice and the hot tube is very relaxing. 3. The rooms are large and the beds comfortable. 4. The service (with the rare exception of the one of the breakfast servers who was probably having a bad day) was exemplary. From check-in, to the concierge, everyone was friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome
Cons: 1. The hotel was undergoing construction (it happens) and there was a minor detour to get to the front of the hotel. It would have been great if the hotel had notified us of the construction in advance. 2. Not a huge fan of having to pay for wifi in the rooms, would prefer if the hotel just built that fee into the room price. 3. The bathroom, while large, is showing its age.

In conclusion, we have a very nice time at the Loews due to its location and the friendly service we received.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Indonesian first
Acapulco, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in loews for for four days in December 2012. The room was clean, the service was good. Nothing spectacular but very nice. The location however is excellent , in walking distance to the santa monica pier and the third street promenade.

Room Tip: try to find a room with a view to the santa monica pier.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
LoewsSantaMonica, General Manager at Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
ManuelM

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding our hotel with other Trip Advisor readers. We are pleased to hear that you found our location to be convenient for your needs. During your next stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact our wonderful concierge team. They are very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and will make excellent recommendations on new things to see and do while in Santa Monica! Again, thank you for both your stay with us and your kind words.

Edina, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

A very service-oreiented hotel located close to the Santa Monica peer directly on the Beach. In addition to the very comfy beds and good-sized rooms, the staff was extremely guest centric and friendly - that's everyone from the front desk to the wait staff to the valets and concierge. Now it's not an inexpensive place so I guess one should expect a strong service culture but this was so consistent that it made an impact.

There were a couple of negatives, bathrooms were pretty small and the carpet in our room (216) was a little tattered and worn around the edges. Additionally, they were doing some maintenance to the exterior of the building so there was a lot of scaffolding on the outside making it a little tricky to figure out where to come in with the car, but that should be done soon (we visited in late December 2012).

Great location, great service but pricey. If you have the means, give it a try.

Room Tip: Splurge on an ocean facing room. Also - the lobby (ground level) is the 4th floor as the hotel is b...
JimRiesterer

We know how valuable your time is so thank you! We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay at our hotel. It is our goal to provide each and every one of our guests with consistently friendly and personalized service. I am delighted to hear that this was your experience during your stay. The maintenance and upkeep of our rooms is of the utmost importance to us. We appreciate your observations and comments in this regard and will make sure that the items you mentioned are addressed. There has been a lot of work completed since your stay in December. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on our updated façade during your next visit. We await your return to Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel!

New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've been staying at Loew's for more than 10 years whenever I'm in LA. Wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. True, there are some lapses in service as some reviewers have mentioned, but I still love this place. The pool is perfect for doing laps in the early morning hours before most people are even thinking of a swim. That, followed by a dip in the jacuzzi near the pool is the perfect way to start the day, whether it's for business or pleasure. Then, too, there's the walk on the beach with views of the giant ferris wheel at Pacific Ocean Park, or the scene along the bike path on the weekends, which is worth a trip to Santa Monica in and of itself. The hotel is within about 15 minute walk of both the Santa Monica pedestrian mall (to the North) and the cutsy shops on the main drag (to the South). Both areas have plenty of restaurants from cheap to fancy and fine. Also, there's the Saturday Farmers' Market.

Whe I was at the hotel in Decmeber, they were in the last stages of refacing the front of the hotel. It looked pretty bad driving up, but I was not disturbed at all during my stay, and the work is supposed to be finished sometime in January.

The massages at the spa are terrific, and with any service at the spa, you have access to the rest of the spa and the pool for the day. The dressing room is not huge, but the steam room and showers are great and, though it's not one of the drop dead spa environments, I've enjoyed all the treatments I've had there and certainly have taken advantage of the use of the pool, etc. when I've gone to the spa when I haven't been a guest at the hotel.

Room Tip: Facing the ocean is always best, although I did stay in a room on a high floor facing the city and i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Susanb11

I would like to thank you, Susanb11, for being such a loyal guest of ours. We greatly value the relationship that you’ve allowed us to share over the last 10 years. As you mentioned, during your last stay we were in the process of refreshing the exterior of the hotel. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on our new design. The pool, Jacuzzi, and the view of the Ferris wheel on the pier eagerly await your return. We hope to see you again soon!

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hotel has really gone down in quality and character. My husband and I first stayed here in 2008 and were amazed and impressed by the hotel. We recommended it to many others - two of our friends even became engaged on the property!!
In December 2012, we were saddened by how terrible this hotel had become. When we drove up, we were dismayed to learn the building was under massive construction, a fact that had NOT been disclosed on the hotel's website, as quality hotels should and often do. The front desk assured us we had a "great room" in which we wouldn't hear the noise, but of course we did, very loudly and very disruptive. Awful. We had bad jetlag and were sleeping during the day and up at night, so loud construction during the day wasn't good for us.
Incidentally, the hotel has had a lot of wear and tear - and not a lot of visible upkeep - since 2008. The bathrooms are massively outdated at this point.
Then, the valet parking attendants stole my husband's sunglasses out of our car. This is not what you see at high-end hotels, and we were again disappointed.
Finally, as if the above weren't enough, they shut off the water to the entire hotel from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. our second night there without informing any of the guests in advance. I mentioned above that we were jetlagged and up at night - I tried to take a shower around 1 a.m. and there was no water at all. A call to the front desk heard the attendant claim ignorance, but it was obvious that the hotel tried to do this at night when the fewest number of guests would notice. Horrible. The offerend nothing to accommodate those of us who needed water at that hour. When my husband walked down to speak with the front desk in person, he received an entirely different story, thereby confirming the hotel was being underhanded and sneaky about the outage.
We checkout out early and went to the Beverly Hilton, which was about ten times nicer and more pleasant than our stay at Loews. I am really saddened to have to write this review, as I once held this hotel very near and dear to my heart. But the fact is, a decent hotel would close as they undergo this extensive construction, rather than subject guests to this kind of deliberate hardship. I cannot underscore enough how badly we were treated and how sneaky, dishonest and underhanded the whole experience felt. AWFUL.
Please save yourself a headache and do not stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure there is no construction!!!!!!!!!
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I am writing at the start of our stay. It may get better, I hope so but I somehow doubt it.
We have been travelling a lot and stayed in some wonderful places. In larger chains such as IHG we usually get automatic upgrade to suite through their loyalty program, but lately we have been choosing some more individual boutique options and really enjoying them. I thought we would try something else here with the Loews, staying by the ocean for our last few days before returning to Sydney. It looked lovely in the photos.
We arrived and the taxi couldn't find an entrance, after much to-ing and fro-ing it turned out it was just because of construction work and made for a less than impressive start to our stay. This continued at check-in when we discussed upgrading to a larger room for the 4 of us as we are travelling with 8 months worth of luggage, I had emailed ahead with this request as I couldn't find larger online but they hadn't responded. Maybe I should have seen that as a sign of their attitude to their guests and started looking elsewhere.
He offered a suite for $140/night +taxes extra a night. We agreed as he sold us on the wonderful ocean views. In fact the bedroom had a nice view of the ocean from one window but from the other side, and the main window overall in the living room area - where we would be spending time during waking hours - is just the scaffolding from construction work. And a note where they suggest we keep the curtains closed for privacy because of the construction work!
Definitely not worth paying $155/night extra for (bringing it to over $500 a night) - especially considering that he had sold it as for great ocean views..
Meanwhile I went down to the gift shop which was advertising gift wrapping between 5-6pm. as it is Xmas day tomorrow I thought this would save some time so headed downstairs with my arms full of gifts, but it had closed early - the night before Xmas! Surely I'm not the only one to leave it so late (because we had only just arrived)?
They offered an alternative suite with no view (overlooking unattractive buildings) for a lower upgrade fee but by that point it was getting too late to mess around with 2 young kids and still have bath and dinner to complete.
Overall, we both agree we don't have a good feeling from this place. The rooms are nowhere near as good as they look in the photos, the general area of the hotel itself while under construction has a shabby feel to it, and the staff seem to be all about the money - because I had booked through hotels.com they couldn't offer anything like free breakfast. I had joined the Loews program thinking we might transfer some stays in the future to this group but I think I can definitively say this is our first and last Loews stay.
We have been staying in far far nicer places for lower rates and this is one more reason I wished we'd stayed longer at the wonderful Argonaut in San Francisco for Xmas instead of coming down here.

Room Tip: go elsewhere!
SydneyLadybird:
Thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention the details of your experience at our hotel. We know your time is valuable, especially during a vacation. We truly regret not meeting your expectations and want to extend our most sincere apologies to you and your family for the inconvenience this caused you. Understanding your disappointment with the renovation taking place at the hotel and with the lapse in services you encountered, I encourage you to contact me directly so we can further discuss the details of your experience. It is our wish and utmost goal to renew your faith in Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel.
Sincerely
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

After doing considerable amount of research for places to stay in LA (county), we chose this hotel. Was a great decision.... The location, service, and the hotel staff are absolutely wonderful....we had an ocean facing room and it's worth the extra dollars for the room. The views are to die for. The beach is at your door step and a 2 minute stroll to the pier....
We would like to say a special thanks to Yanita Zepeda, who took special care of our daughter....and even gave her a note and a packed lunch on our way out! Yanita, the cookies were awesome! Nice touch... We will certainly be back and cannot recommend this place enough o fellow travellers.
However, be aware that there is renovation going on in the east side of the property. This did not come in the way of our great stay at this hotel....

Room Tip: Rooms 846 to 850 all have great views and are on the top floor of the hotel.....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!