“Laid back luxury on the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Laid back luxury on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel was recommended by friends in LA. Not cheap but Loews has a fabulous location almost on the beach and within walking distance to all Santa Monica attractions and facilities - Santa Monica Pier, 3rd St Promenade, restaurants, shopping, bars etc. Rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. Service was good from the time we arrived with the valet until our departure. It was unfortunate we only stayed one night as there was no time to use the other facilities (pool, spa etc).

Only negative is at this price you'd think that wifi would be included.

Room Tip: Beach side is best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Indonesian first
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Actually, whenever I go to Los Angeles, I make it a point to book myself into this hotel. Why? Simple, it's near the beach and, if I'm going to L.A., I want to be near the Pacific. Simple as that. But this hotel is my favorite in the city. Most of the time I stay here, I'm working but it doesn't feel like it thanks to the laid-back vibe at this hotel. It's steps from the beach (and you can rent a bike right there), has a great gym (with classes) and a very nice pool. The restaurant is tops and overall, it just feels like a resort. Another plus is that you can walk to several other good and hip eating establishments (Chez Jay, Cha Cha Chicken and Cora's Coffee Shop) as well as the tons of shopping along the 3rd Street Promenade. In L.A., which is not a walking city, this is a huge plus for me. You can also hop in your car and head north on the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) to Malibu and other beaches.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room overlooking the pool or the ocean...makes a huge difference.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I are from Australia, and for the second time we booked into Loews Santa Monica on our way back through L A

We love the laid back beach atmosphere of Santa Monica, and Loews is in the perfect position to take advantage of this lifestyle

Make sure you get a room that not only overlooks the beach, but also has a view of the Santa Monica pier. When this is lit up at night the view is spectacular

We love being able to access the beach easily, and to walk 20 mins down the beach to Venice for breakfast. Most of the restaurants of Santa Monica are a short walk or taxi ride away, and shopping and entertainment on 3rd St promenade is also in walking distance

The hotel has a great bar and lobby area, and there is nothing better than sitting there, or on the pool deck, with a drink, watching the sunset.

The rooms are vey comfortable and well stocked and staff are friendly and helpful

I would recommend this hotel and will always make it part of our plans when next in L A

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the beach and the Pier
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Miramar, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is a very nice hotel in Santa Monica, close to some exclusive shops, and within adequate range to downtown Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, L.A.... The beach is one block away, but you can enjoy the nice pacific view from your room, if facing the pacific and from the higher floor. You could also see the famous Santa Monica Pier, seen in many movies. The beach is a block away, the only reason I did not give it a 5, but the road is so narrow that it almost feels like you are right on the sands. The hotel is nicely kept, clean, and impressive. Adequate choice of restaurant, price within expected range for such a hotel. 2 hotels are a few feet away form thsi one and right on the beach, but way too expensive for most. The price range for this one was more than adequate for this hotel class. I would reccomend it.

Room Tip: high floor, pacific front with a view of the Pier
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I need my room to be coolish (19 degrees) in order for me to sleep; so I complained when my room was way too warm (yes in May). They moved me but next room wasn't much better but I could leave windows opened which helped. And I got a better view. I agree with others that the price doesn't equal expectations. Thank god for the view hey? Outdoor areas are great - breakfast is a treat and nighttime drinks with flame heaters are magical times. Must admit hotel impressed my Santa Monica mates.

Food okay but nothing spectacular cept the view, it is a bit of a walk to shopping but only about 10 mins. Would stay if there's a bargain price on one of the websites. Def wouldn't pay more than usd300 per night tho.

My personal pref still Bev Hills Hilton :)

• Stayed May 2012
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

First the good news. The hotel property is beautiful and the location perfect. It could of, and should of, been a wonderful stay. Two major negatives that ruined my stay.
1) woke up on my third morning to have a workman standing directly outside my 4 th floor window.
The hotel had neglected to inform me they were going to be doing work outside my window. Workman then proceeded to much banging with a hammer.
2) that same morning, there was no hot water at all for the entire morning. Had to take a cold shower.the front desk staff are the worst trained staff of any hotel I have stayed in. It's as if they are hired for their stupity.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I haven't travelled much so it probably doesn't take to much to impress me but my jaw did drop when I entered the beautiful Loews at Santa Monica. I think I was more impressed with the lobby than our room! ha. I think our experience may have been different if we hadn't of received a room upgrade as we had amazing views looking out over the pool and onto Santa Monica Pier which was definitely the most exciting thing about staying here. The room was reasonable, fairly compact but fresh and tidy (the beds were extremely comfortable!), I would of expected a little more for the price tag but with the room upgrade I really can't complain! I would say you are mainly paying for location though..it is right next to the pier and within walking distance of third street promenade as well as loads of restaurants. Free wi-fi is only available in the lobby (which is better than nothing), you have to pay if you want it in your room. The pool was lovely to swim in and when the night got a bit cooler we were able to sit by the pool by a warm fire overlooking the pier.

The view is what makes this hotel so amazing..if I could get upgraded again I definitely wouldn't say no ;D

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!