“Great hotel on the beach” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 Ocean Ave., Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early-Up To 20% Off!
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Great hotel on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We always stay at the Loews in Santa Monica whenever we visit with family in the area. It's a great hotel for families and my kids love the pool, the beach and especially the hot tub.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011 via mobile

A huge dissapointment.

My family and I stayed at this hotel for a few days in early August. For anyone considering this hotel for a getaway, PLEASE read this review and consider what it is you are paying for. The rest of the reviews on this site that highly reccommend this hotel is what encouraged my family to book a room. Now we find ourselves discussing the option of leaving a day early in order to save the $900 we are spending a night (2 rooms) in order to do something more worth while elsewhere.

When we arrived at the hotel, our rooms were not ready, first of all. We were kind of in limbo with that for around an hour until they were ready, but made the most of it and walked on the beach while we waited. The rooms run around $450 a night, so naturally we expected some kind of nice accomidations or views, however we got neither. Our rooms were located in the back of the hotel along a busy street, overlooking a patch of brown, unkept for terrain. The noise from the street kept all five of us up at night and the view was really an eyesore. The room accomidations were also a dissapointment. Internet Wifi is not free- $12 a day, not all of the rooms have refrigerators, and the stream of water in the shower pulses and changes temperature every time someone in the room turns on a sink or flushes the toilet, etc.

Do not even bother to eat at this hotel. I understand that hotel food is normally a rediculous price, however I was so frustrated with the food services at this hotel that I almost went to talk to someone about it. There is the option of breakfast room service, but I was not about to spend $10.50 for two eggs. I thought maybe going downstairs for eggs might save me the money that naturally makes room service expensive, but that was not an option. If you go down to the lobby to the "breakfast bar" you have the choice of bagles, muffins, and fruit. Did I mention that one banana costs $2.50?

One night we went to the $6 sunset dinner inside the hotel, where the food was great, but the service was sub par. Our waitress hardly came to our table, and we sat there multiple times (for a long time) with empty glasses. I even had a half glass of wine left when I ordered my next one, and I still sat for 15 minutes after I had finished the rest of my glass!

Also, two of the four elevators in the hotel were out, causing a lot of person traffic getting to and from the room. Some of the other guests commented that they had been broken a while, and the hotel did not seem in a hurry to fix them.

Honestly, the hotel was a huge dissapointment. I am writing this review from the hotel room, ready to leave and save some money. It is the closet hotel to the beach, and you literally can walk right to it (but not "onto" it from the hotel), however I would have been willing to walk a little farther if I knew I could save money, get better service, a more satisfying breakfast, etc.

• Stayed August 2011
Luzon, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Stayed for the American film market last November. If you can afford, get the ocean view. Eveything is perfect except for the carpet... a bit dirty and worned in my room. I am sure there are better rooms.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We've visited the Loews Santa Monica Beach Resort for our 17th year. The staff are very professional and extremely accomodating. There is no better hotel to view the Pacific Ocean and Santa Monica Pier.
On site facilities whether it be Spa, Pool lounge, exercise room or convention rooms - Loews has it all. Loews has really made an effort to have guest rooms cleaned early in the morning and they'll do everyting to meet your request. For example, I found that the room lighting didn't provide enough light unless one was sitting on the bed. I asked, and received, a floor lamp that I could position near a chair to provide better light when reading newspapers. I realize that's not for everyone, but I do tend to read quite a bit.
I also ordered room service twice during my stay - a dinner and a breakfast. Food was fresh and served hot with plenty of condiments. Concierge assistance amazing - I asked for different breakfast establishments and within seconds, a map was produced and various places highlighted within walking distance of the hotel. The doorman, Fernando, will do everything for you; you simply have to ask. It's nice to be remembered year after year - especially when we visit for one week only.

Room Tip: You must ask for what you want, whether it be poolside, city view, full Pacific view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

My family and I stayed here during July 4-7th. We arrived at 4:30 P.M. (30 minutes after checkin time) and they didn't have the room ready. They gave us a $50 credit towards food or drinks at the hotel for this inconvience. I had booked this room about 1 week before arrival at last minute rates and also got a AAA rate as well. Our room didn't face the water but it didn't matter. The hotel itself is beautiful to walk around. At night you can look out the back of the hotel and see the Santa Monica Pier all lit up. It was beautiful. My daughter and I walked to the 3rd street Promenade in about 10 minutes. It was a beautiful walk along Ocean Ave. There are many places to eat and shop between the hotel and 3rd Street. Also there is easy access to Interstate 10 (almost across the street).
I would totally recommend you trying this hotel. I do not regret my last minute decision to stay here. It was great.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We loved it here. Location was great as this part of the beach is clean and quiet, unlike Venice beach further along. We did get a room to begin with, with no view and outside were noisy air conditioners, but we asked to be moved and then had a great room with a terrace leading to the pool. Staff very helpful and friendly. Pool area lovely but did get very busy, especially as people were allowed to put towels out very early and then not use the sun beds until lunchtime!! If I could change 1 thing it would be that. Valet parking very expensive, but you are in Los Angeles. Wifi also expensive as only free in the lobby. Overall expensive hotel, but you do get what you pay for, and we loved it.

Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I had choosed Loews first because of the Miami unit that was really recomended by some friends and later because of the pictures and everything said in its website. When I arrived there I was kind of disappointed because the hotel didn't look like so great as expected. I thought that by pictures on the website it was more luxurious but anyway, it was really nice beach hotel. I was with my 1 year old daughter and more 4 nephews and they had great fun there with a guy that use to make ballons and with the nice space in the pools and beach. Besides it, the good point was the location, it was really close to mainly Santa Monica attractions. The bad thing was the service at the front desk, people were very stuborn and were always making faces when you ask for some help. I was really unsatisfied with this particular service. Food wasn't good either, few options inside the hotel and quality not good. The last problem faced happened when we received the credit card bill charging us amounts that we don't know what they are and one of them duplicated!!! Next time maybe I'll try some other one.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!