“Delicious burgers and fries ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Umami Burger

Umami Burger
500 Broadway, Santa Monica, CA 90401-2406 (Santa Monica)
310-451-1614
Cuisines: Hamburgers
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Monica
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
“Delicious burgers and fries ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2015

Had a delicious lunch here. The tuna burger was perfectly seasoned and spiced. The cheesy fries are super good too. A must have.

Will always come back.

Arlington, Virginia
“Damn Good Burger (and Fries)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2015

Man, we were recommended to go here by friends and boy was a good choice. We had the truffle burger (and fries), a manly burger (and sweet potato fries) and some brews. Every single thing we had was great. We shared with friends and overall had a great time.

I have had some good burgers (Rays Hell Burger in Arlington, VA and others), but this was definitely up there. There are also a few secret menu items (as we were told by pour friends who are locals). But no matter what, you are in for a great burger.

• Visited March 2015
Sydney, Australia
“Go tell Umami”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

We were told by our friend Tom "If you only eat in one restaurant in Santa Monica you gotta make it Umami". I will never underestimate Tom ever again. It don't look like much and was a bit hard to find but the burgers here are incredible. I ordered a Sunny side cause the man on the table next to me had one and I love egg in a burger (I think that's the Australian in me). Full of texture and taste in ever layer and small in size so easy to eat and you don't feel the Michelin man afterward. They had run out of a lot of the drinks we ordered including Bunderberg ginger beer which would have made it. Our waitress was very sweet and we left my wife wanted to give her a hug and a bigger tip. The place it self feels temporary because they have plans to move a few blocks away. But if you can get past that you'll love Umami. Enjoy!

Los Angeles, California
“Deeply Satisfying Burger, Tasty Fries, Fantastically Overpriced Dessert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2015

Feeling carnivorous tonight, I sought out a place that could dish out a good burger, and reviews led to me Umami. I actually tried to hit the Hermosa location first, but after an exercise in frustration seeking a parking space, opted for the Santa Monica one 14 miles up the yellow brick 405.

There was a serious communication problem between my server whom I couldn't understand mixed in with the table of extremely loud men-haters to my left. I ordered a "real sugar" Pepsi ($3.00) and a large water. Somehow, the mangled drink order turned into me ordering a $6.00 bottle of Evian. Be warned.

I ordered the Manly Burger ($12.00) and Truffle Fries ($5.50). I will say without hesitation that I was extremely satisfied with the burger - taste, presentation, and monogrammed bun were all top-notch, and the incredible flavors of the toppings really complimented the meat, which is actually my sales pitch on a date. The truffle fries were rich and equally satisfying - the Umami ketchup is so good I found myself eating the rest of it with a spoon. Awesome.

I suppose the four-star review is the result of the dessert - I decided on what was essentially chocolate chip mint ice cream on a double chocolate chip cookie. When the server brought out the four little triangles I thought I ordered from the kids menu. $6.00? All I kept thinking about was the owner must laugh hysterically every time someone (like me) orders a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich for $6.00. I ordered it, so the joke's on me. What really killed me was the information I've possessed for quite some time about the little ice cream place down the road (6 miles) in Westwood who serve up two freshly-baked cookies and a mega scoop of ice cream for $1.50, and here I was paying $6.00 for one half the size. Lesson learned.

All in all, a good experience with free parking (!) and plenty of sights, such as the idiot who strutted in wearing a thick wool ski hat on an 80 degree day. Ah, Los Angeles.

• Visited March 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
new york city
“Can't wait for Williamsburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2015

First time in a Umami Burger. Everything was excellent. Perfectly cooked and delicious. Three of us had three different burgers and all were great. Also try the pickle platter very interesting.
They are opening in Williamsburg Brooklyn this year and I can't wait.

• Visited February 2015