“Friendly staff, but overall not really impressed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica

You added Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica to your Saves list
Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   530 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405 (Formerly Sheraton Delfina Santa Monica Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
GreenLeadersSilver level
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Friendly staff, but overall not really impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW via mobile

I stayed here a few days in November 2014.
The hotel is OK, but I'm not that impressed, and expected a little bit more from a Starwood hotel.

First, the rooms: the size of the sleeping area is good, the balcony is the size of a stamp though.
The bathroom is small too and has a shower curtain. I personally do not like shower curtains as that immediately gives me the feeling the room is outdated.
I wasn't impressed with the fact that the minibar was empty, or that there was no amenity kit in the bathroom. There was shower gel etc, but no cotton balls/sticks, I had to ask for that.

Then, breakfast: the continental breakfast is served in the bar area of the hotel. It's not included in the room rate and is $18. For this, you get to choose from fresh fruit, some pastries, muffins, bagels and cereal. Very basic. There was a toaster but nothing to put in it. I asked for a cappuccino: that was not included but could be served at a surcharge of $4,50. Not impressed.
When I got my $4,50 cappuccino, a spoon and sugar were missing, so I had to get up again. I guess the devil is in the details!

The pool; I didn't use it but it is not big at all.

The location: it is within 10 minutes walking distance of the beach. In the direct area, there's not much going, but that was ok for me. I was travelling on my own, and I did feel comfortable walking around in the area.

The staff is very helpful, attentive and friendly: the front desk staff gave me a room even though I arrived early. The bar staff was very nice too, with quick service and not shy on the portion sizes of the wine. Housekeeping made sure I got my amenity kit in the end.

All in all I am not unhappy with the hotel, maybe my expectations were just too high. Would I stay here again? Maybe, but I'd probably try another one.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Such a lovely place to stay with the family. The bar was perfect for a lite bite and cocktails with my parents. The best part was the service, everyone is so kind and attentive. Lily Joya and Cameron Taylor were so great and made our stay so lovely.

Stayed December 2014
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear EmmaJ,
Thank you very much for your kind words and your review of the hotel. I will share your review with Lily and Cameron and recognize them for making such a positive impact on your visit. We truly appreciate your business and hope you were able to "Unlock the Destination" of Santa Monica during your visit. Have safe travels in 2015 and hope to see you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel is great and an excellent value . Free valet is always a great way to start a stay. Then we were greeted w sparkling wine upon checkin in! Winning!
The room is spacious and very clean and modern. Comfortable bed and a very nice terrace, just not much a view. Everything was very clean and we had nothing to complain about regarding the room. If I was picky I would say the bathroom is a bit basic and keeps the hotel from being a 5star experience. The lobby bar was a very relaxing place for a cocktail/nightcap. The lobby and entire hotel has a modern and even sexy design that I really appreciated.
My one and only gripe is that the dinning options are silly expensive. $50 for breakfast for 2 which included coffees, eggs Benedict , and omelette. That is ritz Carlton prices. I do recommend this place to stay and drink, perhaps not eat .

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Thadizzle,
We appreciate your generous feedback about the hotel and your experience. Thank you for the comments about the guestroom, staff, and the new amenities offered as you noted. Your comments on the F&B pricing are noted and will be reviewed for possible adjustments. We want to say thank you for your business and look forward to having you visit us again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I had a 4 night business stay with lots of "in the lobby" meetings. The staff were always very helpful and prompt with service. The room was very comfortable and homey. Terrific exercise room. Also an easy walk to the beach and away from the Santa Monica congestion.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Dear Rubyfoody,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent four day stay. As you experienced, our "Le Hub" concept of Le Meridien creates a great place to hold small meetings and gather for events or light evening cocktails. As a Top Contributor, your attention to details is recognized and your feedback provides us with honest and candid feedback. We appreciate your business and hope you will choose us again for your next round of meetings.
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

For Thanksgiving long weekend, we booked 2 rooms. Staff were all excellent, extra thanks to Haley Kruse (helped with multiple boarding passes & Stay Green bonus pts), Rigo at check-in (very patient with our room requests), Hugo at the Concierge, & bar staff for bkft & afternoon light meals (sorry did not get their names). I'll summarize as follows:
Pro's:
- good Santa Monica loc, can walk to beach, Pier, Bike Path, the new Tongva Park, Santa Monica Place (shopping & restaurants), the Promenade, etc.
- Nice lobby music on Fri & Sat nts.
- Nice pool side seating.
- Good Business Ctr (though printer out of order the whole holiday wknd).
- Outstanding staff throughout, e.g. 1 staff saw that I was doing flight ckin and he knew the printer was down and offered to print the boarding passes on his laptop
(I went to Front Desk and Haley K. printed these out instead).
That's really going above and beyond & we really appreciate the staff's caring attitude.
- Valet staff were always prompt & good. Though it's not really "free" since there is a daily $18 Amenity Fee.

Con's:
- this is a major item: most of the rooms are Connecting, and some even connect to rooms on either side (e.g. our room 708) which means can hear noise from 2 adjacent rooms!
This setup is not suitable for guests who are noise sensitive.
- pool is pretty small.
- The free rental bikes: these have very wide handles (like a Harley Davidson!) and therefore hard to ride in a city setting. We saw some guests walking the bikes back as they weren't able to ride it safely. We opted to pay for beach front rental bikes instead, for safety & comfort.
btw if you do want the free bikes make sure to go early in the morning, as there are limited #.

Room Tip: Avoid connecting rooms if you are noise-sensitive.
Green Features: Green bonus pts for SPG members is a very good program.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Dear fbc001,
Thank you very much for sharing your detailed review of the hotel on TripAdvisor. I will share your comments about the wonderful staff members and recognize them for their contributions. We truly appreciate your comments about the bikes and will look into adjusting the styles and usage needs to ensure eveyrone can enjoy them while "living like a local". Please come back to see us an Unlock the Destination fo Santa Monica when you remember those fabulous West Coast sunsets nightly while enjoying a cocktail and waiting on the live entertainment to begin. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again in 2015!
Clinton, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

A 4 star hotel should provide ample amounts of soap, coffee and you should not run out of toilet paper . The 18$ service charge should cover toilet paper. The view from my room was an old apartment building and barricaded swimming pool. Do not stay here. Very disappointing

• Stayed December 2014
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear lovemydog1,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I surely hope you received your requested items you identified in your review. We graciously serve coffee in the guest room, the lobby, and the mezzanine levels for your convenience free of charge each morning, so coffee is very important to us in the hotel. We hope you enjoyed the new complimentary valet service that the hotel offers and the new amenities supported by the service fee you mentioned.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I called Mr. Sowards 2 weeks prior to my arrival and spoke with him directly about my upcoming stay. I let him know I had never been to his hotel or Santa monica and that I was coming to celebrate my 40th birthday. We had a lovely conversation and he assured me he would take care of me personally. In addition he was going to make a dinner reservation for me for 2 at a sushi restaurant or steak house. Wel none of the above happened. Zero personal service. No reservation and never even greeted me. Really disappointing especially considering when I came out and stayed at the SLS last year and didn't even speak to the GMA in advance, they sent me a bottle of champagne and cake and upgraded me to a sweet room. We are owners of Starwood in Hawaii and I'm always amazed when certain starwood hotels can't seem to take care of the very people who help keep them in business. Extremely disappointed in Mr. Sowards. But luckily Santa Monica is a great place with excellent restaurants and shopping so my bday get away wasn't a total disappointment. Just the Le Meridan and Mr. Sowards.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear Shopfrost,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with TripAdvisor. I am very surprised to hear your comments as when we spoke, there were reservations confirmed for you at Chaya Venice. I would like to take the opportunity to discuss your recent accommodations and provide a wonderful a positive resolution for you. My apologies for the miscommunication you received and I look forward to speaking with you directly. My number is 310-309-8006 and can be reached during normal business hours.
Stephen Sowards

Been to Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica? Share your experiences!