“Consistently disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica

Save Saved
You added Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica to your Saves list
Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   530 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405 (Formerly Sheraton Delfina Santa Monica Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #14 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
San Jose, California
“Consistently disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I've stayed here four times now since it's been a Meridien, all on business. Each time, despite lifetime Gold membership, I've been given a room that faces what can best be described as a run down apartment building. I have to keep my curtains closed to avoid staring into the apartments that are approximately 30 feet away. The pool is crowded, not nearly large enough to support the people that want to lounge and every time I've stayed, noisy children are an issue. None of these would cause me to raise my eyebrow at a three star property. But not at a Meridien where you are likely paying $350-400 plus per night.

Definitely not the relaxing feel that I expect from a Meridien or Westin property. Spend a few extra dollars and head to the Fairmont. It's a much more relaxing feel, is quieter, and much higher quality.

Consistently disappointing for an upper end SPG property! I would definitely not coming here for leisure time. Agreed that if it went back to being a Sheraton, my expectations would be lower....

Room Tip: try to avoid getting one on the lower floors that face the apartments.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

236 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I stay at this hotel for our Anniversary, we were only suppose to stay 1 night here, the guest service was so great we decided to stay an extra night. When we arrive the hotel guest service Tim, was so polite and helpful and very informational when ask about great restaurants in the area. The hotel rooms are nice and pretty and comfortable. When coming to Santa Monica we will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Woodinville, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I think the expectation is higher when you stay at a Le Meridien. This property was changed from a Sheraton to Le Meridien. I am not sure what was changed or upgraded and if this property needed to be changed. It probably is more like a Sheraton. It was the nicest hotel for the price in Santa Monica without paying outrageous prices. We looked at 3 rooms and none of them had a view of any kind. the rooms were clean and comfortable. The location is not close to any of the attractions...a 10- 15 min walk to the beach, 10-15 minute walk to the promenade etc. but not that far either that you can't walk. Everything just adds up to Average.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Wa_traveller57,
We appreciate the review from your recent experience at Le Meridien Delfina. Although it sounds like we were unable to offer any of our spectacular hot tub suites facing the Malibu Coastline for sunsets nightly, or our guestrooms directly facing the Pacific ocean that afford panoramic views second to none in Santa Monica, we hope you will consider us on your next trip to Santa Monica. Our centralized location for walking or utilizing the bicycles at the hotel allow our guests complete flexibility and access. Thank you for the "value for price" comments as this is very important for our team. Additional value provided includes: limited complimentary self-parking on-site, complimentary wifi in our Hub for guests to enjoy our social areas and Sparkling Hour nightly in Longitude Bar and Restaurant, in-room Illy Caffe Machines, and other food and beverage offerings. Our goal is to Unlock the Destination of Santa Monica for our guests and to create memories for them to take home.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and check in was ok but the room they gave us was horrible!

We asked for a room change and the 2nd room wasnt much better.

U wont get what u c on internet homepage.

Mayb a 2 star hotel, not more cos rooms are very old and cold.

Location is nice cos everything is close and also walkable. But guess every b&b and hostel is better than this hotel.

Stayed May 2014
StephenSowards, General Manager at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Twentytwentyfive,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel. As you mentioned, our centralized location is perfect for great access to the destination and within walking distance to everything. Have safe travels in 2014!
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed at le Meridien in Santa Monica over the Fourth of July holiday weekend. As an extremely frequent business traveler, I'm an SPG elite and stay at many Starwood properties throughout the year. I love Le Parker Meridien in New York; it is in fact, my preferred hotel there for business and leisure. Unfortunately, the Meridien Delifno hotel in Santa Monica fell far short of my Meridien expectations.

We arrived slightly before check-in time on July 4th and were not able to get a room. The lobby was a zoo with a line for the front desk never less than 6 parties long, I felt sorry for the staff. We took a seat out in the pool area and were told we'd have a room within 15 mins of check-in time, which seemed reasonable. 40 mins after check-in time, we were put in a room that was not a deluxe room as advertised on the website -- there was no balcony. I wanted the room I reserved (not asking for an upgrade or anything) and had to wait nearly two additional hours before getting the room with a balcony. In total, we spent about three hours of our July 4th afternoon waiting in the hotel lobby and pool area with dozens of other disgruntled room-less guests. We were told we could have $50 of food and beverage credit at the bar for the trouble. That covered less than half the cost of lunch for two, without beverages. Food was very expensive and the taste did not deserve the price tag. The bar staff was extremely nice though.

Once finally in the room, which had a nice view of the ocean/coast towards Marina Del Ray, we noticed there wasn't free water (outside the mini bottles for the coffeemaker), so a trip to a corner store was made. Any trip to/from the room was at least a 15 min ordeal because only one of the elevators was working for the entire weekend. A fully booked hotel on a holiday weekend needs working elevators but hey, maybe it was difficult because of the holiday to get someone over there, and the part was a special order, and whatever else may have gone wrong -- I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. However, it seems bringing in your own water won't get you out of having to pay for their $5 bottles in the room, which I'm still trying to get removed from my bill. It took another hour and a half for our luggage to be brought up after they called and said it was "lost," and then "not lost" once physically described. Four and a half hours from hotel arrival to sitting in our room with our luggage.

That being said, the rooms were clean and bright, and I liked the art. The rooms were not, however, very cool. The A/C never got the room temp down to what was indicated on the thermostat and sleeping was somewhat uncomfortable. I heard other people complaining about the warmness of their rooms at the front desk, so maybe it wasn't just the unit for my room.

Finally, at checkout, I got a bill that, in addition to an inaccurate room refreshment charge (see above), had a credit that said "SMOKING" on it. I don't smoke. There was no one smoking in my room. To my knowledge, I hadn't been accidentally charged for someone smoking in my room... What was this about? No one could answer me at the front desk, and it was decided that it was a credit for the trouble at check-in. This actually went a long way toward making me feel better about what I was thinking had added up to be one of my worst hotel stays in recent memory. However, I can't turn in an invoice for a business expense (this was both a couples and business trip) with "SMOKING" as a line item. We reallocated the credit, got the water bottles off the bill and settled up. I thought I was done. The day following checkout, I received a new "Updated" folio from the hotel in my inbox, with the room beverage charge and the "SMOKING" line item back on it. What a headache for something that should be so simple. Even though it's the only Starwood property in Santa Monica, where I have nearby friends, family and business, I doubt I'll return

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear KeepmePosted,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience on TripAdvisor. Your feedback allows us to review, adjust, and correct our challenges for future holiday weekends such as July 4th. It is very important that we identify and correct this so that your expectations are far exceeded. Additionally, as an SPG family member, your value as our customer is second to none and I would like to ensure you feel that value at Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica. Please feel free to reach out to my office in the hotel at 310-309-8006 so that I can personally address your comments.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed here one night for work. I would give 4 stars, but not having wi-fi in rooms is a let down and even though they offer free self-park (a big reason I chose this hotel), the parking lot is very small and you're sort of left with no choice but to valet park. Other than that, the room is small, but nicely furnished. Location was okay for my purpose of the trip, but if someone is expecting a beach hotel, it is quite a walk.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Travel_Recess,
Thank you for providing the feedback in your review about the hotel. As you mentioned, we offer the only complimentary parking of any hotel in Santa Monica with over 100 parking spaces. Our location is not on the beach, but allows for an outstanding centralized location to access all of the points of interest in Santa Monica. Our free wifi is in "The Hub" for our guests to have access and a social gathering point to enjoy our Sparkling Hour of champagnes and specialty cocktails. We hope you will consider our hotel again when in Santa Monica and safe travels for 2014.
Greeley,CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed for one night on July 5,2014. The hotel is pretty and clean. Our room was large and had a partial ocean view. We arrived a little before check-in time and went to the pool area for some sun and drinks. The area is pretty small and filled up quickly. They were understaffed and because of that service was slow. Everything at the hotel is extremely overpriced. Nothing for free. Coffee, water and in room internet were extras. There were only 2 bath towels in our bathroom. Walls were very thin and we could hear everything the family in the room next to us said. The walk to the beach is farther than we thought. It is 5-6 blocks to the beach area and another 2-3 blocks to the shopping area and the walk back to the hotel is uphill. If you are looking for a beach hotel in Santa Monica I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Greeley_COWizard,
Thank you for sharing your review with us regarding your recent stay in the hotel. After reading your review, it seems very strange that you expected the hotel to be located on the beach front when we are a few blocks up from the beach and our elevated location is what provides us with such wonderful Santa Monica sunset views. Regarding your comments, there is bottled water complimentary in the room, complimentary coffee in each room with an Illy Coffee machine, along with our brand standard of three bathtowels in every King Suite which I believe you stayed in. Additionally, we offer complimentary wifi in all of our public spaces throughout the property. We appreciate the feedback and will review to ensure we are meeting our brand standards across the hotel. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss.
Stephen Sowards

Been to Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica? Share your experiences!