“Upper West Review” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Upper West is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 573 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1 block west of Centinela
Transit: Santa Monica Blue Bus line #7 Bus Stop Pico & 33rd St
Description: Upper West is Santa Monica’s newest dining destination, serving modern American cuisine that’s as familiar and comforting as it is original and inventive.Featuring an open complete kitchen, a full-service 27-foot bar, a sophisticated wine collection and a long list of tantalizing specialty cocktails - it evokes the feel of a TriBeCa loft with 28-foot ceilings and an urban yet rustic décor. In addition to the chicly lit extended bar with high-tops, couches and dining room, it offers regular seating in an 800-sqaure-foot patio.We offer valet parking for your convenience.
Los Angeles, California, USA
“Upper West Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Pros: delicious food, friendly service, trendy ambience
Cons: difficulty parking, too congested/loud

Visited November 2013
upperwest10, Manager at Upper West, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Harry,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate the feedback. We know it can get very busy at times and we're sorry for the hinderance. We hope to see you back again soon!

Thanks again,
Jennifer

Milan, Italy
“A waitress that understands our needs! plus, very good food and reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We should not eat too much of dairy products and we want any vegetables and sauces aside, not on top of our steak or fish. Such requirements are apparently unheard of, at least in California... we visited about 15 restaurants and we always had either to give lengthy explanations, or to give up. But at Upper West, the very kind waitress (Lauren) understood immediately and we even got a nice set of small dishes: one for the bell peppers, one for the corn etc. Incredible!
They were very good too, as well as our steak and salmon (well, a bit burned on one side). The chocolate cake was delicious. Based on our experience, the bill was reasonable too: 60 dollars including taxes.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
upperwest10, Manager at Upper West, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Sergio,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us. As a team, we strive to accommodate our customers at all times. We appreciate the compliments and I will pass them along to Lauren. Hope to see you two again soon and thanks again! -Jenn
Los Angeles
“Good Food and Vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was my first visit to Upper West and I was pleasantly surprised at the ambiance and the attractive vibe of the restaurant. It’s a fairly open space with a nice bar, and there are even some comfortable banquettes along the wall.

Service was really good, from the uber polite host and hostess, to the waitress who served us.

We had Chopped Kale for a starter and, although it was tasty with its watermelon bits, quinoa, etc., I feel that the $13 price tag was way over the top for such a basic salad. Prices for appetizers in general were rather high, although I gather that the affluent crowd didn’t seem to mind.

We had Miso Glazed Duck with ramen noodles and it was quite savory, with a Vietnamese hint to the dish. The Braised Short Ribs were melt-in-your-mouth. I loved the sauce and the presentation, but other than the sauce, the taste of the meat was a little like plain old pot roast. Good pot roast, but pot roast nevertheless. And as for the accompanying parsnip-fennel puree, I hope that the chef goes much lighter on the nutmeg next time.

Dessert was very good, with beautiful presentation of the Carrot Cake Ice Cream Sandwich. It was supposed to have cream cheese ice cream, but my palate could not detect any cream cheese nuance. It appeared to be vanilla ice cream. Anyway, it was a creative dish and I loved it.

Upper West has a nice wine list with some reasonably priced bottles. I noticed someone at a neighboring table having a Beer Flight, and the presentation and variety looked very appealing. Perhaps next time I will try that. While writing this review, I looked online to see what wines by the glass were available during their Happy Hour. I was very surprised to see that only glasses of “House Red” and “House White” are offered. I think Upper West could offer some better wines by the glass glass selections during Happy Hour by raising the price a little and adding some decent offerings on rotation.

Upper West is a welcome addition to this part of town. I shall return.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
upperwest10, Owner at Upper West, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you so much for the taking the time to write us a review! I'm very glad that you and your wife enjoyed your time at Upper West. I will pass along the compliments to the chef. Looking forward to your next visit!

-Elad
London, United Kingdom
“Magical ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stopped over in Santa Monica for a few days and didn't realise how many incredible restaurants were in one area. We visited upper west after reading many reviews. We went on a Friday Night it was extremely busy and they had a full house but still managed to seat us within 5 minutes. The cocktails superb and the food delicious. The lobster gnocchi was a highlight of my trip!

Visited September 2013
upperwest10, Manager at Upper West, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a nice review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our cocktails and lobster gnocchi! We hope to see you again soon! By the way, I like the title of your review!

-Elad
Bradford
“Great food and drinks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We went to Upper West as it was round the corner from our hotel. The food was really good we both had burgers (beef and the crab) both were fantastic. The tuna tacos to start were also great. The wine and beer list is good also. We did notice as other reviews have said the noise. It is a huge room and this makes it very noisy when full as when we visited. This was not a problem for me and my wife but I could see how this would be an issue for some.

• Visited September 2013