“Comfy, clean - a gem in the Motel landscape” 4 of 5 stars

Rest Haven Motel
815 Grant Street, Santa Monica, CA 90405   |
Ranked #25 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Basel, Switzerland
“Comfy, clean - a gem in the Motel landscape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We've chosen the Reat Haven after reading all the positive reviews at Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. The service was great and extremely friendly, the room was comfy and clean (albeit not huge) and the location was very convenient for all excursions and even for walking to Santa Monica Peer by foot :-)

• Stayed July 2013
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thanks for choosing our Rest Haven Motel in your brief stay in Santa Monica, CA. We're glad we have met your accommodation standards and have served you to the fullest while with us. We'll look forward to offer you more and better service in your future trips particularly to Santa Monica, CA USA. Have a lovely day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Cornwall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and found the motel very basic although overall the place was clean. It was quite well placed for the peir and the hop-on hop-off bus tour. The neighbourhood is not the best with vagrants sitting around outside the food place next door.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Rest haven motel is a very basic and economy motel located seven blocks from Santa Monica beach. Very clean and friendly. Have a wonderful day!
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights during a summer road trip. It's a very basic motel, but our room and bathroom were very clean and comfortable. Based on other reviews, we requested a room on the back courtyard, and it was very pleasant. I don't recall any street noise at night, but we live on a noisy street in Brooklyn, so we're used to that kind of thing.

The free wifi worked great, and the receptionist gave me a hair dryer that I was allowed to keep for the duration of our trip. The parking lot is small, but there was always space. The location isn't perfect, it's kind of a hike to the beach, but it was great for us, especially since we enjoy walking.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We are also very happy that you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to see you back here. Most of the nights we do not have any noise specially in the back of the building. Have a great day!
cultv
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here based on the trip advisor rating, but I am struggling to see why folks are so positive about it. Stayed for 3 nights and had a lot of trouble sleeping as the walls are paper thin. You can hear everything from the room next door. There is even a sign asking to give the TV down after 11pm, but the walls are so thin in this place that I could hear a pin drop next door.

Location is not great, although only about a one mile walk to everything you need, you are in a suspect neighbourhood and basically off a freeway. I didn't feel particularly happy to leave my stuff in the room as it only had a feeble lock and the main door was often left open. On the plus side parking was free and easy and it was cheap compared to a lot of Santa Monica locations, but I can't think of much else to recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I cannot find words, the best I can, to comfort you because of what you personally underwent in your 3-day rendezvous in our motel. I had wished you came to us and aired your gripes from the first moment you felt the uneasiness-we could have done something like a change of room. Where you were is a recent additional unit-the other rooms are not exactly the same as your room. We aware of the thinness of the walls, hence, the reminder - regarding TV volume. We would take your findings into consideration and will move on from there. Some, as you have read, like the place and your opinion about it is being respected. People have differences in tastes and likes. I can assure you, we are safe, regardless of how you looked at and thought of the neighborhood. Anyway, thank you for the time spent to post a review, it was helpful, I take it because it is constructive. Have a great day.
Eaton, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We knew we weren't going to do much but sleep and this place was much cheaper than anything else available. It was clean and the parking was free. A decent tv and free internet. Bed was alright for one night, but a little uncomfortable. Water pressure was low, but it got the job done. If you are going to spend a lot of time out and just going to sleep, go for it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Truly, according to you, a budget motel. What you paid for is what you get. We felt elated reading your honest-to-goodness comments. Let us take care of the uncomfortable beds you were talking about, and the water pressure, as well. It gives us a feeling of exhilaration noticing the good sides of your stay in the motel. The words can inspire to strive for more changes to entice our guests like you. Thank you.
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you're looking for cheap, easy accommodation in Santa Monica then I would recommend this motel.

The only issue I had was the neighbourhood - whilst it's only about a 25 minute walk from the pier, it's quite a different atmosphere and there were a lot of 'shady' characters around. The first afternoon I was there, not 3 mins after leaving the motel I had a man ask me for money then he followed me for about 10mins which was quite unnerving for my first experience of the city. Throughout my stay there were always beggars lurking in the surrounding streets (and that was only the main roads, as I didn't venture into any side streets) so I would caution solo female travellers to be careful.

However the motel itself was very pleasant and more than adequate considering the price. The lady at reception was very friendly - offered me a choice of rooms on check-in and provided advice on the best way to return to the airport (there's a bus stop about a 5min walk away on Lincoln, that costs just $1 - a great option compared to $20 shuttle if you're budget conscious and don't mind changing buses at the LAX interchange).

The bed was comfortable and the shower was better than most I've encountered on my travels.
There's a lovely courtyard out the back, and the towel arrangements made me smile.
Free wifi is a bonus too.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 13 which is out the back, off a courtyard (which is gated and locked at night - a p...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I can identify with your apprehension being a total stranger to the city but we can not be responsible for the environment where we are located. I can not blame you as a lone traveler considering the presence of those elements unwanted yet unavoidable - but things happen as they can happen wherever we are - the location - wholesome or not - this is a fact. I know we are safe where we are. I appreciate all the wonderful things and nice comments. At least, the good stay had obliterated the murky thoughts that swirled your mind with the impression you got about the neighborhood. Let me pacify your troubled mind - it is a safe place so, come again, if you may. Have a lovely day.
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

If you are looking for budget and don't mind walking, this is the hotel for you. The neighborhood is a little dicey (the Jack-in-the-box drive thru was 75 feet from my door). About a mile walk to the 3rd Street Promenade and the Santa Monica pier. The place was clean and comfortable. The owner couldn't have been nicer. If you want to spend $400-500 a night 5 blocks away at Shutters, go ahead. For less than $100 you get Rest Haven.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I might want to suggest "inexpensive and affordable" if we are to be described instead of "cheap". This is truly a budget place for the purpose of offering rooms within means of travelling people. Our guests feel comfortable, hence, compensated-we have nothing more to ask for. We will remember your review and make it our stepping stone to the betterment of our service and to provide comfort. Have an awesome day.

Been to Rest Haven Motel? Share your experiences!