“Lovely courtyard room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
Brooklyn, New York
“Lovely courtyard room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights during a summer road trip. It's a very basic motel, but our room and bathroom were very clean and comfortable. Based on other reviews, we requested a room on the back courtyard, and it was very pleasant. I don't recall any street noise at night, but we live on a noisy street in Brooklyn, so we're used to that kind of thing.

The free wifi worked great, and the receptionist gave me a hair dryer that I was allowed to keep for the duration of our trip. The parking lot is small, but there was always space. The location isn't perfect, it's kind of a hike to the beach, but it was great for us, especially since we enjoy walking.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
We are also very happy that you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to see you back here. Most of the nights we do not have any noise specially in the back of the building. Have a great day!

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
cultv
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here based on the trip advisor rating, but I am struggling to see why folks are so positive about it. Stayed for 3 nights and had a lot of trouble sleeping as the walls are paper thin. You can hear everything from the room next door. There is even a sign asking to give the TV down after 11pm, but the walls are so thin in this place that I could hear a pin drop next door.

Location is not great, although only about a one mile walk to everything you need, you are in a suspect neighbourhood and basically off a freeway. I didn't feel particularly happy to leave my stuff in the room as it only had a feeble lock and the main door was often left open. On the plus side parking was free and easy and it was cheap compared to a lot of Santa Monica locations, but I can't think of much else to recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I cannot find words, the best I can, to comfort you because of what you personally underwent in your 3-day rendezvous in our motel. I had wished you came to us and aired your gripes from the first moment you felt the uneasiness-we could have done something like a change of room. Where you were is a recent additional unit-the other rooms are not exactly the same as your room. We aware of the thinness of the walls, hence, the reminder - regarding TV volume. We would take your findings into consideration and will move on from there. Some, as you have read, like the place and your opinion about it is being respected. People have differences in tastes and likes. I can assure you, we are safe, regardless of how you looked at and thought of the neighborhood. Anyway, thank you for the time spent to post a review, it was helpful, I take it because it is constructive. Have a great day.
Eaton, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We knew we weren't going to do much but sleep and this place was much cheaper than anything else available. It was clean and the parking was free. A decent tv and free internet. Bed was alright for one night, but a little uncomfortable. Water pressure was low, but it got the job done. If you are going to spend a lot of time out and just going to sleep, go for it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Truly, according to you, a budget motel. What you paid for is what you get. We felt elated reading your honest-to-goodness comments. Let us take care of the uncomfortable beds you were talking about, and the water pressure, as well. It gives us a feeling of exhilaration noticing the good sides of your stay in the motel. The words can inspire to strive for more changes to entice our guests like you. Thank you.
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you're looking for cheap, easy accommodation in Santa Monica then I would recommend this motel.

The only issue I had was the neighbourhood - whilst it's only about a 25 minute walk from the pier, it's quite a different atmosphere and there were a lot of 'shady' characters around. The first afternoon I was there, not 3 mins after leaving the motel I had a man ask me for money then he followed me for about 10mins which was quite unnerving for my first experience of the city. Throughout my stay there were always beggars lurking in the surrounding streets (and that was only the main roads, as I didn't venture into any side streets) so I would caution solo female travellers to be careful.

However the motel itself was very pleasant and more than adequate considering the price. The lady at reception was very friendly - offered me a choice of rooms on check-in and provided advice on the best way to return to the airport (there's a bus stop about a 5min walk away on Lincoln, that costs just $1 - a great option compared to $20 shuttle if you're budget conscious and don't mind changing buses at the LAX interchange).

The bed was comfortable and the shower was better than most I've encountered on my travels.
There's a lovely courtyard out the back, and the towel arrangements made me smile.
Free wifi is a bonus too.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 13 which is out the back, off a courtyard (which is gated and locked at night - a p...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I can identify with your apprehension being a total stranger to the city but we can not be responsible for the environment where we are located. I can not blame you as a lone traveler considering the presence of those elements unwanted yet unavoidable - but things happen as they can happen wherever we are - the location - wholesome or not - this is a fact. I know we are safe where we are. I appreciate all the wonderful things and nice comments. At least, the good stay had obliterated the murky thoughts that swirled your mind with the impression you got about the neighborhood. Let me pacify your troubled mind - it is a safe place so, come again, if you may. Have a lovely day.
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

If you are looking for budget and don't mind walking, this is the hotel for you. The neighborhood is a little dicey (the Jack-in-the-box drive thru was 75 feet from my door). About a mile walk to the 3rd Street Promenade and the Santa Monica pier. The place was clean and comfortable. The owner couldn't have been nicer. If you want to spend $400-500 a night 5 blocks away at Shutters, go ahead. For less than $100 you get Rest Haven.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I might want to suggest "inexpensive and affordable" if we are to be described instead of "cheap". This is truly a budget place for the purpose of offering rooms within means of travelling people. Our guests feel comfortable, hence, compensated-we have nothing more to ask for. We will remember your review and make it our stepping stone to the betterment of our service and to provide comfort. Have an awesome day.
Honolulu, HI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

a pleasant family style motel in a quiet residential neighborhood of Santa Monica. A very nice manager helped me with all my questions. No phone in the room but did have a refrigerator. A Von's and an Albertson's is just a few blocks away for groceries. The Santa Monica Pier is about a 10 minute drive away. Parking is $6 at the pier. Free parking at the motel. We stayed in room #11 which has a twin and a full size bed. Small bathroom but for what we paid, it was just right.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
That was a very pleasant review and it's uplifting. It is nice to find out that you have fully appreciated our place even if it is not an upscale type of hotel. It is unfortunate that we did not have phones in the room because we are thinking most, if not all, have their cellular phones on hand. We are just grateful that we are in a location which has accessibility to different important places as markets and shops for your convenience. Thank you for staying with us.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

While clean and convenient it's basically a dive in a very iffy neighborhood. Beds are old and uncomfortable. Hard to find anyone in the office. Very poor water pressure. Room smelled like tobacco smoke.

• Stayed January 2013
resthavenmotel, General Manager at Rest Haven Motel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
The cleanliness and convenience you found in our place is something worthwhile and we thank you for noticing it. Regarding the neighborhood is something beyond our control which we also find somewhat detestable so I would say there's nothing we could do about it. Apologetically, the manager is a jack of all trades so it is impossible to find her planted in the office. The establishment is a smoke free one, unfortunately, we have no control of the customers in their respective rooms, such that, we have no knowledge of their activities, that is, smoking and drinking and others. Regarding the water pressure, we will try to find a way to fix it for your comfort next time. Have a great day.

Been to Rest Haven Motel? Share your experiences!