“small, comfy, and clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oceana Beach Club Hotel

You added Oceana Beach Club Hotel to your Saves list
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   849 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly Hotel Oceana Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
San Francisco, California
“small, comfy, and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

A great little central courtyard and pool area. Rooms are clean and large. Restaurant food is pretty good but expensive. 30$ for breakfast buffet? This was my first stay, and I'd come again. Great staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This was our 3rd visit back to the Oceana - A fantastic little boutique hotel right on Ocean Ave. This was a work/play trip, so during the day, I worked in our room (virtual worker) while my wife and sister-in-law went shopping and sight seeing.

As always, the staff was very professional and accommodating. We mainly used the hotels Tower 8 restaurant for breakfast, which was delicious.

Our rooms (104 & 105 - they are on the 1st floor at the southwest corner) were immaculate, beds & pillows perfectly comfortable.

Everything was perfect - We can't wait to be back again next year.

Room Tip: Have always stayed on the first floor, facing Ocean ave. I really wouldn't want any other room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Paradise Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is our new favorite place to stay in Santa Monica!! Our ocean view room was huge and beautiful, all blues and yellows! The staff was very helpful and friendly. The complementary cruiser bikes were fabulous and made getting around so easy! The bed was so comfy. We love the location, the cute bar and restaurant and will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you can afford to get ocean front, the view is great and the windows are huge and open.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
West Harrison, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Upon arriving, The guys who meet you at your car couldn't be nicer with a welcoming greeting. That sets the tone right there. They were great the whole time. Always a smile. Check in was easy and brief. Our room, one bedroom suite was spacious, clean and very bright. Bedding was really comfortable, shower had very good pressure. plenty of towels too. The pool was very relaxing, not big but big enough. There was no hustle and bustle. The service around the pool was very attentive too. The buffet breakfast was great with a ton of choices. Maybe a little pricey but quality was excellent. Checkout was brief as well. I have stayed at a lot of other places in Santa Monica and I have to say that this was the best one yet!

Room Tip: None of us had Ocean views but didn't seem to bother us. Just check the rates before you book. W...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Winnetka, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I recently stayed at the Ocean Hotel in Santa Monica. It is a very pretty hotel. I had two rooms one was a suit and one was a standard room. I was charged $455 a night for the standard room. While it was clean and very nicely decorated it had a very small dark window and a shared entrance with another room. It really wan't worth what I paid. The other room was a suite and while it was a bit more expensive it was worth the upgrade. They seemed a bit overwhelmed with the number of guest they had. At breakfast one day we ordered something and it took an agonizingly long time for it to arrive. When we eventually complained the wait staff was nice and said the kitchen was backed up. I only wished they would have told us that before we ordered and we would have gone someplace else.

My biggest problem was at check out. When I went to check out the billing system was down and I asked to review the charges when the system came backup before being charged. That evening I still had not received a invoice from the hotel but they had run all the charges through to my bank as opposed to the credit card I wanted the charges placed on. I tried to quickly solve the issue and asked that they put the charges on the requested credit card but they refused to do so unless I filled out a form and faxed it to them. I was traveling in a car and did not have a convient place to do this. After several hours of emails and phone call the hotel finally agreed to take my credit card over the phone and to withdraw the pending charged to my checking account. This was all a very stressfull way to end our vacation. So if you want to stay there be aware that as sweet and nice as everyone is, they are very quick to bill you for everything and will do so even if you haven't had the chance to review the charges. We frequently stay in Santa Monica and will take the Oceana off our list.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I often travel to and stay in Los Angeles, and I have stayed in many hotels, including all of the top ones, but Oceana is, as of now, my very favorite. The room was large and cheery and comfy, the pool just right for a dip and the restaurant excellent for both breakfast and dinner. And the location couldn't be better.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Maplewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I've wanted to stay at the Oceana since I learned that Stan Laurel lived in a apartment there for the last 6+ years of his life (The Oceana's Facebook page links to a nice article about Stan's time there). I'm a huge Laurel and Hardy fan, and it's been a bucket-list item to stay in Stan's last home. Mr. Laurel's apartment is now one of the hotel's "Signature Ocean View Suites", with knee-high to ceiling, wall to wall windows in the living room facing the park and ocean, and a balcony with the same view off of the bedroom.

My daughter had a function to attend in Los Angeles last week, and I flew with her to drive her around town. The day before we left home, I e-mailed the hotel to see if Mr. Laurel's room might be available for the following night. I received a friendly response, in the affirmative, from Lindsay the Assistant Front Office Manager. Lindsay was careful to point out in her e-mail that the hotel is typically not able to guarantee specific room numbers or floor levels, but because the room was not currently occupied, and it was so soon before our arrival, the hotel would be able to accommodate our request (Two years ago, I made the same request, but the room was occupied). I called the hotel, and spoke with Lindsay to confirm the reservation. Lindsay was a delight to deal with. She left me with a very positive, first impression of the hotel.

Upon our arrival, we were greeted with smiles and hellos from the two young gents at the valet stand, and one of them climbed the steps ahead of us to open the lobby door. Inside, Melissa and Megan welcomed us at the front desk, and we were offered a choice of chilled beverages. The front desk was an actual desk, not a counter, and my daughter and I sat in comfy chairs as we were checked in. We had a brief, pleasant conversation with the ladies, who both seemed like people who loved their jobs, and were proud of their hotel. They made us feel at home. It was like that with every employee we encountered -- housekeeping, room service, restaurant, valet and security staff -- they all made us feel welcome. The Oceana's managers seem to only hire genuinely nice people.

Since the room was unoccupied the night before, we were allowed to get into it at 11:00am. The two-room suite took full advantage of the beautiful view. The living area was painted a cheerful yellow, and the bedroom a sky blue. The balcony was shaded by the large palm trees lining the sidewalk.

The bathroom was large with a huge soaking tub, and a separate shower stall with a rain shower head and hand-held nozzle. The Frette towels were sparkling white, dense, heavy, and absorbent.

My daughter slept very comfortably in the California king bed. I had trouble rousting her out of it for breakfast. I slept somewhat comfortably in the queen sofa sleeper, though I would have rather had the bed. There was some noise from the Ocean Avenue traffic, but not enough to disturb our sleep.

The living room and the bedroom each had a large LG tv.

For dog-lovers, there is non-stop dog traffic in the park across the street from very early in the morning until the sun goes down. Very entertaining.

The hotel is located on a primarily residential block. A few blocks to the north, east, or south, one starts encountering restaurants, coffee places, and shops. It took me about 25 minutes to walk to Santa Monica Pier from the hotel, and I walk at a fairly brisk pace. The hotel does have bicycles available -- first come, first served -- at no charge.

We didn't use the courtyard pool, but noticed that it gets plenty of sun. At night, the courtyard takes on a very warm, calming hue. There seemed to be some sort of spa-like aromatherapy scent wafting through the courtyard. The soft music and sound from the water feature make the space very tranquil.

My daughter and I ordered a couple of the absolutely delicious, burgers from room service. We both loved the side order of fries (one order of fries is sufficient for two people). The order was cheerfully delivered in about 25 minutes.

We had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs beside the pool. The courtyard tables in the sunshine were occupied when we arrived, but the interior space was very bit as pleasant with tables looking out to the park and ocean. The breakfast buffet was close to $30 per person before gratuity. The selection was not large, but the quality of the food was very good. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, breakfast potatoes, fruit salad, croissants, pain au chocolate, muffins, scones, toast, cereals, and juices were available at the buffet, but waffles, pancakes, omelets, and cooked to order eggs were available to order, and included in the buffet price.

My daughter and I both loved our stay at the Oceana. We hope to return for a longer stay some day.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Megan S, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear lwag725,

Thank you for taking your time to share your fantastic review of the Oceana Hotel and Team! I am so pleased you and your daughter enjoyed your stay and were able to experience the great connection with Stan Laurel. I will share your wonderful comments with our team and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Oceana in the future.

Warm Regards and Safe Travels,

Megan Schroder
Hotel Manager

Been to Oceana Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!