“A great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oceana Beach Club Hotel

Save Saved
You added Oceana Beach Club Hotel to your Saves list
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   849 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly Hotel Oceana Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

if you look for a kind of hidden jewel right in the middle of St. Monica and you have the money....! go for this one, an absolute fantastic Hotel, with very very kind and helpful staff.
we stayed in room 213 at the pool 2 floor a great room very quiet and very spacious, great beds.
the atmosphere is very relaxed no outside visitors, a small dining / lounge room, great breakfast and lunch food, we did not have dinner so I can not comment on this but for sure it's good.
The only thing which could also be a good thing is...that the sun disappears in the afternoon as the pool is in the patio, but for me no problem.
I suppose the rooms at the front of the Hotel facing the ocean are more noisy, and less private.
if....and I will... come back I will for sure want the same room or at least at the same level or at level 3, not ground floor.

Room Tip: not groundfloor and I personally would not want to stay at the oceanside as traffic drives by and le...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear elizabeth47_12,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I am extremely grateful for the very kind words regarding our home as well as our wonderful team members. For sure I will be happy to share your feedback with the staff. I have updated your profile already regarding your room location preferences when you will be returning to us. Also I do hope you will have the opportunity to dine with us upon your return as our 2 star Michelin chef Josiah Citrin would be delighted to serve you some of his favorite dishes.

Thank you again for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future when your travel plans bring you back to the Santa Monica area.

Christoph Moje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
West Chester, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Such a beautiful hotel set in a residential area directly across the street from the Palisades Park. Beach access is about a 10 minute walk, and the pier is a short bike ride away. There is a variety of restaurants in the area in all price ranges (though if you're looking to treat yourself, I recommend BOA steak house). The photos on their web site are true to life, which can't be said for many hotels. We stayed two nights in an ocean view room and had a clear view of the sunset over the water. The staff were very friendly and eager to please. A couple complaints, and this is really digging: the wireless internet was so slow that it was useless. It was quite noisy - and some street noise should be expected since if you're on the first floor you can open your window and almost step out onto the sidewalk. But the bulk of the noise was from the cleaning staff banging around furniture in the morning. We didn't eat dinner at Tower 8, but ate at the breakfast buffet there. There was good variety of foods, but it was $30 per person and the eggs were powdered. We wouldn't have eaten there, but it was our last morning and we hadn't used our $50 Tower 8 gift certificate that came with our room. Overall though, it was a great stay. Prices are comparable to other similar hotels in the area. We would go back!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise, corner rooms have less pool noise. An ocean-facing room is wor...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Ashlie F,

I am glad that overall you were able to enjoy our home and have enjoyed our relaxed but yet refined ambiance while visiting Santa Monica. I certainly do apologize for some of the noise disturbances caused by our staff during your stay. I will make sure we use this feedback to train our team members to be more cognizant of their surroundings. I have also updated your profile to reflect your wish of a higher floor and a quite area for your return visit.

Again, I am grateful for sharing your thoughts as it helps us to improve upon our service delivery. We are eagerly awaiting your return to the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Our son just got back from Afghanistan and wanted to relax. What a great choice the Oceana turned out to be! Great accommodations, great service that was exactly what our Marine ordered. Thanks to the staff for the VIP treatment they gave us and our son.

Room Tip: Is floor suites are fantastic.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Pmhgroup,

I am extremely pleased to learn that we gave you and more importantly your son a much needed time to relax and simply enjoy all that Santa Monica has to offer from shopping to breathtaking nature views right outside our front steps.
We here at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel salute your son and are very thankful for his service to our country.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our home in the very near future.

basking ridge, new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this property. The location is ideal as it is in a bit of a residential neighborhood but not too far away from the pier, shoppes and the restaurants. Beautiful ocean views in recently renovated rooms. As this was a business trip I took the recommendation of my client Anthony Baratta who was responsible for the lovely interior design .
The front desk staff is smart, helpful and oh so accommodating. Nothing is impossible and super attitudes. That goes for everyone of the employees I encountered at the hotel. I even was offered sunscreen on my way out one morning ---as I said above and beyond.
The restaurant offers a beautiful buffet breakfast hot and cold with delightful pastries, fresh squeezed juice, eggs, yogurt and fresh fruit.
Why 4 stars. The walls are very thin in this property as several other guests have commented about.
My last evening the room next door was accommodated by a large group(4) of adults
They were loud with slamming of doors, music , tossing a basketball etc
I contacted front desk staff who immediately came up to chat with the group
It continued until 10:30 when another visit was made to my neighbors at that point they departed
And returned again 3 hours later to pick up exactly where they left off.
The hotel has a policy of no swimming in the pool after 6 pm so as not to disturb guests yet
Noise levels from the room next to me were more disturbing than any group could ever be in a swimming pool. There should be some measures to sound proof these rooms especially with all of the recent beautiful renovations that have taken place.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room They view is beautiful
Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear missybrown,

I am extremely grateful for your kind comments regarding our wonderful location, décor, amenities and most importantly about each and every team member you have encountered during your visit. ! We strive to create an atmosphere where one may feel at home and relaxed and it’s great to hear when our guests are able to experience just that. I am certainly very sorry that you could not enjoy a restful night of sleep on one evening during your stay. We obviously try to discourage any loud disruption from other patrons as we promote a very tranquil and relaxed environment. Constructive criticism is what inspires the hotel to raise the bar and increase our levels of service.

I do hope that this isolated incident will not discourage you from re-visiting us again here at the Oceana when your travel plans bring you back to the Santa Monica Area as we hope to be once again your home away from home.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was the second time we have stayed at the Oceana. Both times we chose it for a long weekend (4 nights each) to celebrate a birthday and anniversary. The hotel has a wonderful location, easy walking distance to downtown Santa Monica, beach/ocean views across the street, a pool on the premises, etc. What really makes this place so special is its staff who manage to be be both professional, as well as authentic without the fake "my pleasure" attitude. The restaurant is convenient and right on the premises, serving both inside and pool-side. We definitely hope to return there again and wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor suites are wonderful...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Basia48,

I am thrilled to learn that you have become such a loyal guest to our hotel after your 2 recent visits. On a daily basis the team strives to create a true Santa Monica ambiance where you feel relaxed and always welcomed back home when returning to your retreat along the Ocean.

I cannot thank you enough for your heartfelt recommendation of our hotel and am looking forward to welcoming you back for yet another long weekend at the Oceana.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and wish we could have stayed longer! The staff was very friendly and accommodating (going above and beyond for us on several occasions). The pool area was pristine and relaxing -- with lots of shade, too -- the perfect place to spend a sunny afternoon. Our room was fabulous!!! We were lucky enough to get a large suite, with a separate bedroom featuring a king-sized bed; two large flat-screen TVs; a living room / sitting area and balcony overlooking the pacific ocean, too. Our bathroom was new and modern with a great shower and tub. The hotel has a great restaurant on the first floor. It is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner -- and we highly recommend it. If you are in the mood for a real Southern California experience, definitely take advantage of the hotel's free surf lessons on Saturdays (with Zuma surf). We had a fabulous time and can't say enough good things about the company or our instructor!
We did not experience any noise at all from the pool area or other guests. In fact, we were told that the pool closes at 6 p.m. to avoid noise issues. The hotel's location is definitely a walk to the beach or the pier, but not that far.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view -- you are in Santa Monica!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
dear CoffeeFrappe,

I am very excited to learn that you had such a fabulous time with us and that you consider us a "dream hotel". It looks like you took advantage of all our amenities that makes the hotel so special and I am glad we could deliver a true Santa Monica experience to you.

We certainly hope you will be returning to our home in the very near future whenever your travel plans bring you back to the Los Angeles Metro area.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was my 6th stay at the Oceana and this time I stayed for 12 nights, bliss! This is a special hotel. The staff on this stay were simply amazing. I had made quite a few new friends by the time I left, and I can assure it was very hard to leave. They make you feel very special and nothing is too much trouble for them. One evening 3 of us made our own way out to a restaurant and by the time we arrived there the Oceana had called ahead to ensure they accommodated us. We never asked, such a special touch from Lyndsey? I think.

This hotel has a great chilled out vibe and is unpretentious but welcoming & gorgeous. I changed rooms a few nights into my stay as I have been spoilt by the rooms at the front with the ocean views. Yes OK not all the rooms are quietest as some of the reviews state, but it makes up for it in other areas. It's not a purpose built hotel, and that is what adds to the charm and ambience of this place. They will do their best to re-accomodate you should you prefer another room and they have always looked after me - and I'm fussy!

The staff (here I go again) chat with you in a relaxed but always professional manner. They are not stiff , like I have found at other top hotels around the globe. They have a special approach and like I say you feel like you have made friends. I was greeted by my first name by many of them and they were always interested in what I had been up to.

The breakfast is still up there as one of the best. The linen is quality, the beds are dreamy and the location suits me to a tee. What more would I want?

Thank you Chris and your gorgeous team. I miss you already and I will be back as soon as I can fix it!

Room Tip: If you are worried about noise from others, ensure you book a top floor room. Kids will be kids and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Lesley426,

Thank you for talking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana beach Club Hotel,

I am extremely excited that you as a very loyal guests over the years have thoroughly enjoyed your time at our home yet again. We strive to provide this very warm and relaxed but also refined ambiance at the Oceana where every guest is being approached individually; and I am glad that we could exceed your expectations and you have made friends with a lot of our amazing team members.

I am very much looking forward to your return visit from New Zealand in the very near future and again thank you for your very kind words about our hotel and team members.

Christoph Moje

Been to Oceana Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!