“Excellent ocean front boutique hotel in Santa Monica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oceana Beach Club Hotel

You added Oceana Beach Club Hotel to your Saves list
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   849 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly Hotel Oceana Santa Monica) (Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Excellent ocean front boutique hotel in Santa Monica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

A really gorgeous boutique hotel with good food and great friendly staff - nothing was too much trouble.

The decor of the rooms, restaurant and other areas was really tasteful and everything has been done with great attention to detail. I think they have just recently refurbished so that could be why but none the less, it was very clean and well kept. I particularly liked the pool area which doubled up as an outside bar in the evening complete with comfy sofas and log fires - if needed. Great, relaxed ambience.

Good mix of guests - families and couples of all ages.

Fantastic location for the beach, bars, restaurants and shops without being right in the middle of it all.

Room Tip: We had a great room overlooking the ocean on the top floor. Not sure what the views were like if yo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear HMTW1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
I am truly excited that you enjoyed our home as we like to call the Oceana. Indeed we have just recently completed a renovation of all our public areas and have re-launched our restaurant Tower 8 with Josiah Citrin as our 2 star Michelin Chef.
We take a lot of pride in every little detail from room amenities to warm and personalized service from our team members. I am glad you were able to experience just that in our relaxed setting.
Again, I am extremely grateful for your feedback and hope to welcome you back to the Oceana in the very near future.

Christoph Moje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Great spot on Ocean Ave. Outstanding service in all areas. They were very flexible when I made my reservation, very helpful in recommending restaurants and then getting a reservation on a busy weekend. I was amazed how hard the staff worked to make my stay outstanding. Large rooms with a nice pool. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear letsplay2,

Thank you for your time reviewing your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
I am excited to learn how much you enjoyed our hotel with all its amenities and services we offer. We strive to provide a unique experience with very warm and heartfelt service and I am glad we were able to exceed your expectations.
The team and I are very much looking forward to your return visit to the Oceana and wishing you a wonderful Summer.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights with my partner in room 319.

Room was larger than other rooms in LA and it had very much a beachy chic feel. Highly recommend level 3 as it is the highest floor.
The rooms were clean and can fit a roll away bed easily.
Rooms service was limited and the food wasn't as good as other room service I've had.
Pool area was beautifully done, small area so definitely can hear everyone else's conversation . Pool was small as well.

If staying here we suggest that you park the car yourself because there are lots of parking across the street for over night and up to 5 hrs during the day

• Stayed July 2013
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Nicky M,

Thank you so much for your kind words reviewing your latest stay at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
I am thrilled to learn that you truly enjoyed our rooms that indeed do reflect a beach home atmosphere where you should be able to relax and experience everything that Santa Monica has to offer.
I do hope that your travels brings back to our home in the very near future and hope you had a safe trip back to Australia.

Again thank you for your feedback.

New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This has been my sixth stay at the Oceana. The rooms are beautifully, individually appointed. The hotel is located on a beautiful stretch of Santa Monica and is north of where most of the other hotels are. The rooms rates have increased tremendously as I was told due to a renovation.We come every summer and the rates had increased by way over 20% from the prior year. The new decor is lighter and a bit more hip. Prior to the renovation the hotel was beautifully appointed. We arrived on the late side and were greeted by two attractive women. I don't believe that we were welcomed back. When I asked what street the Farmer's Market was in SM one of the ladies said it's no longer on Saturdays just Wednesdays and you need to drive about one mile to another market. Checked the internet and fortunately for me they were wrong. Silly me, asked them the address to Bergamot Station and they didn't know where it was. I was going to ask them to help me with a reservation but I chose to do it myself. We had breakfast which is solely a buffet but they will add eggs or pancakes if you'd like. I asked if they had any toast and a nice, intern like waiter said in a very pleasant manner that unfortunately, they did not. When we left breakfast I saw that they had put out some bread. If this was my candy store, I would fire this man. He should have approached me and said he made a mistake and said that yes, they had bread and would I like some. The young lady that said there was no farmer's market on Saturday was sitting with another lady who either did not know or if she did know didn't say anything so both were poorly trained. When we walked to Arizona between 2nd and 4th Street on Saturday morning between 8:30AM and 12:00PM I was pleased that the young, front desk lady was just incompetent and not accurate. It's always nice to have young, attractive people welcome you at a front desk but competency trumps all. The housekeeping staff is lovely and the rooms are always spotless. The bathroom needs much better lighting and the rooms have limited accessible drawer space. I love this hotel and have chosen it over Shutters but perhaps they should just have a kiosk to check in and no one at a front desk until they train the staff better.

Room Tip: We always stay ocean front and keep the window open to get a breeze. The view is spectacular but nee...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Zach84Jake62,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
Firstly I would like to thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel. I regard every feedback, good or bad, as a gift as it allows us to evaluate our operation to make adjustments to enhance the guest experience.
While I do realize your stay was less than stellar, I truly am thankful for your very detailed review and would also like to apologize for the lack of follow through on very simple requests. I have certainly taken action with the appropriate department heads in order to correct these issues and provide better training to our staff members.
I am still hopeful that you will continue regards the Oceana as your home away from home when travelling to the Los Angeles Area. When you do return to our home please feel free to contact me personally so I can look after your stay.

warmest regards,

Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip for a few days. Couldn't be happier. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean, nice, and spacious. It's not a super fancy room, but it's got style and charm. Not much of a view, unless you get ocean front. The pool is SMALL, but gets the job done if you want to cool off. It's also a nice lounge area with a nice fireplace for a late night glass of wine. There are bikes available for free for a boardwalk ride that's just across the street. The Santa Monica pier and mall are just a few blocks away. This is not a see and be seen hotel, it's low key and perfect for a relaxing quick getaway. Don't know what all the bad reviews are all about, I've had no such experience here. All positive. One con was the food, the restaurant wasn't as good as I expected, but I hear it's gotten better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Anna R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
I am thrilled to learn that you truly enjoyed all aspects of our hotel in particular our team members. I certainly will share your kind comments with each and every one of them.
When you decide to return to the Santa Monica Area please do feel free to contact me personally to set up your reservation for you.
Thank you again for your kind words and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our home.

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel has a fabulous location right across from one of the best sunset watching spots in ALL of Los Angeles. Great walking, jogging, and people watching area. I have stayed here about ten times and always am impressed with the level of service. I like smaller hotels that have cozy bars and restaurants and where people remember me. The location couldn't be better to explore Los Angeles (fifteen minute drive from LACMA, ten minute walk to beach, ten minute drive to Malibu, fifteen minutes to Beverly Hills, fifteen minute drive to the Grove/LA Farmer's market, ten minute drive to Brentwood Mart, etc. etc. etc.).

Great new addition was the revamped bar and restaurant. Now serving classic cocktails, small plates, and progressive American food.

Awesome pool for the kids and people are always lounging around the public areas. It seems, like me, there are always families taking multiple rooms and using the Oceana as a home-base for LA excursions. Especially nice are the suites where the kids can have a pull-out queen or king sofa bed and mom and dad can have a closed door bedroom with an ocean view.

Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view suite; worth the price if you are travelling with kids.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear fpk932,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to comment so fondly on your most recent time with us at the Oceana.

I am thrilled to learn that you continue to enjoy our facilities and recommend us with your review. In particular I am excited you have enjoyed our newly renovated Restaurant Tower 8 with its new menu from award winning Chef Josiah Citrin. As a born and raised California individual he takes a lot of pride in each of the dishes on the menu.

I am looking forward to your return visit in the very near future.

warmest regards,

yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Really fab hotel with fab service and fab everything i know it's a bit pricey but you will not be disappointed the best thing about bit for me is the calm,intimate,friendly,relaxing ambience with a super little pool - one slightest little moan the room was great but theview was just the bins but next time (and there will be a next time) must ask for ocean view.Thanks Oceana beach club for a fantastic holiday!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear TubbyBartonYorkshire,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
I am excited to learn that you and your family have brought back such fond memories from our home here at the Oceana. We strive to provide a very calm and relaxed atmosphere in our intimate setting and to see that we lived up to your expectations is wonderful.

Please absolutely contact me personally when you are ready to return to the Oceana so I can assist you in selecting a wonderful room with an Ocean View that you for sure will not regret.