“Fabulous family getaway!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oceana Beach Club Hotel

You added Oceana Beach Club Hotel to your Saves list
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   849 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly Hotel Oceana Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Los Angeles, California
“Fabulous family getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We just spent 3 nights at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel. We live just a few miles away & thought it would be fun to take our family to the beach for a few days! We were a party of 12 & had booked 4 rooms. Each room was spacious & well appointed including one with a kitchenette that made it possible to feed our grandchildren throughout the day. The property is kid friendly & the size of the hotel is most appealing. More personal service, quieter & more laid back than the large hotel chains. The restaurant on grounds is wonderful - the menu varied enough for adults & children. Our only complaint is that it is only open for hotel guests! We look forward to returning as soon as the opportunity arises.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Traveller90212,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel. I am glad that you and your entire family had such a memorable time at our home. We are in particular excited that you as our neighbors were able to visit our facilities to enjoy some well-deserved family time with your loved ones.
It is indeed our highest mission to provide an ambiance where you can relax in a tranquil setting with un-matched, warm and sincere service from our very dedicated staff.
I am looking forward to welcoming you and your family members back to the Oceana in the very near future.

Christoph Moje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

As someone who has traveled quite a bit, I was very disppointed in my recent stay and felt it necessary to share my story. It seemed to be one thing after another over the course of 3 days. Arrival was lovely and I was placed in a lovely room; however I chose to move due to street noise. I was placed in the smallest darkest room of the hotel- which was fine by me until woken up by not 1 but 3 garbage trucks starting at 5:45AM. Upon leaving the hotel the next morning, the Front Desk told me if I didn't mind packing my things they would move me to another room later in the day. Upon returning to the hotel after a long day, I was informed "so sorry but we are sold out and nothing is available" I didn't ask to be moved this time; they offered. Why offer and how did you not know earlier that day you were sold out that night. I didn't need to take the time to go back to my room and pack my things.
In my room, the radio didn't work, the desk lamp didn't work, and most of the TV channels were snowy and didn't work. The next morning, I reported all of the above. When returning to the hotel later that night, my room key didn't work.... and its not the programmable key that just stopped working. They are the old fashioned keys with holes in it. Made no sense. By the time I got into my room, and noticed that the radio, tv and desk lamp were still not fixed- I simply ignored it all, until an engineer knocked on my door 10 minutes later (after 10pm) and offered to assist with the TV. After 15 minutes he told me the head engineer is not in the building and he apologized that he wasn't able to fix the channels. Not a big deal either as I didn't want someone in my room after 10pm trying to fix a TV that hasn't been working for 2 days already! At this point, I was fed up and annoyed, and for a laid back person, it does take a lot. I decided to write a lovely email to the GM and not complain but rather give him feedback that could be used in training and product enhancement; however, he has chosen to ignore my email to this day, no reply. I felt it left me no choice but to air my frustration here.
The location was wonderful, and a few of the staff stood out like Jefferson and John. The rest of the staff was young and a bit snooty.
One last note- if you plan to travel to this hotel- make sure to request a room on the top floor, which is the 3rd floor. Otherwise you will hear everything and I mean EVERYTHING all night long. Thinnest walls of any hotel I have been in. The price/value of this hotel has a lot to be desired and is less than stellar.

Room Tip: Book 3rd floor or don't go there.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear LGR521,

Thank you for your time to review your latest experience a the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

While I realize your stay was less than perfect, I appreciate your time to share your feedback about your experience as I do understand how disappointed and frustrated you must have been with the overall service levels of the hotel.
I truly apologize for this less than stellar performance. I still would love to have the opportunity to connect with you in person as I have not received your email that you have mentioned in your review. Otherwise I would have certainly reached out to you to find an adequate solution to your stay.
You can reach me on my direct line at the hotel at (310) 656 6028.
Again, I would like to thank you for your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this hotel was easy--getting a bellman, parking (valet or street), checking in, ordering food, swimming, sleeping comfortably. This small boutique hotel was well staffed with a hotel manager visibly present and everyone was on the ball without being over eager. Decor is fresh, extremely eclectic, in mostly ocean blues and greens. Linens and towels are high calibre (Frette, I think) Coffee table books and mags in room. Food was really fresh and well-prepared. I would be a regular at the restaurant if I liked there. Fell in love with the "Small Meatballs" plate. One surprise was that the coffee was mediocre--seems like a bit more thought could be put into it. But that is completely minor within our whole experience. The central pool was a great place for us to relax, eat, and catch up with our friends. We loved this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear FreqTravel77,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I am very humbled by the kind words you have shared with us about the quality of our hotel and more importantly about the overall service levels you received from each of our team members.

I am looking forward to your return visit to the Oceana and I will make sure to keep some of those meatballs aside for you to enjoy.

Again thank you for your feedback.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to my stay on the beach. When I arrived to my room I was very disappointed. With the room being as expensive as it was I had very high expectations. The walls had mismatched paint from all the
patchwork. I will post pictures. The quality of the restaurant was absolutely amazing. They did have great service I just felt that for a room with that price level it would be much nicer with a better view.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear JQBarker,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent experience with us. I truly appreciate your feedback about the quality of the room itself and have taken steps to correct those issues with our Director of Engineering. For future stays I would probably recommend our Signature one bedroom suites that face our pool area or any of the ocean view suites that all feature magnificent views overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

I am glad you enjoyed the food and service in our new restaurant Tower 8. Our team is thrilled to hear those wonderful comments.

Once again I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you in the very near future again. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to set up your reservation.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Oceana. The staff is amazing and so thoughtful, and the rooms are lovely. We slept so comfortably, and were so appreciative when they upgraded us to a corner room with ocean views. The sheets are so comfortable! And the design is so fun and relaxing. We loved sitting out by the pool - the environment is really unique and well maintained. We also took a whiskey tasting class with the food and beverage manager, which was a blast! We rented bikes and rode around Santa Monica. The valet is really helpful in giving recommendations. They always remembered our names, which really is a great touch. Overall, I dream of this hotel all the time and long to go back. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you can, get an ocean view room!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear AnneT328,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
I am extremely grateful for your heartfelt comments about the hotel and more importantly about our team members. It seemed like you had an all-around memorable experience at the Oceana and employees like Matt Swartz, our Food and Beverage Manager, truly made a difference in your stay.
We too look very much forward to welcoming you back to our home.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am in the area often on business and will go out of my way to stay here. You are always greeted at the front door by name and truly made to feel you are coming back home. The rooms are large, beautifully decorated and well appointed, and I love the way all the rooms face the beautiful pool area in the center. One of my colleagues calls it "Melrose Place." Wrapping up the day with cocktails by the fire pit, is a perfect ending to the day.

Room Tip: I personally do not like the ground level rooms on the street--even though they are consider ocean v...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear MystoryAtlanta_GA,

I am truly excited to learn that you call the Oceana your home when travelling out to the Santa Monica Area. The team strives every day to ensure that our guests fell welcomed and at home when joining us and to learn that we were able to do just that every time you return to us is wonderful.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the very near future to the Oceana and thank you again for your kind words.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Other reviewers have said it well; Oceana feels like home. I was only there for an evening, sadly, and spent a lot of that evening away from my new "home away from home". However, when I came back after dinner and saw my room ready for turn down, I was touched that the maid had folded the clothes I had scattered about, and had lined up the make up and shoes I had carelessly tossed about (getting ready for dinner that evening was a bit of a hurricane). Really nice touch, and made me feel well cared for.

I loved that the suite felt cozy and spacious at the same time, and I thought the decor was fabulous. While the colors and prints might not to be everyone's tastes, to me it's a welcome change from "same-old same-old" hotel syndrome. Curling up on the overstuffed couch with a book and a glass of wine was how a spent a few moments of the evening before heading out.

I didn't have a chance to visit the restaurant, so can't comment on that. The fitness center was small but well-equipped, and good for my purposes.

I will say that the staff are phenomenally friendly, and seem like each of them are really on top of their game. They were all interested in making our brief stay memorable, and were very pleasant to deal with.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear RunCatchKiss,

Rest assured I have shared your comments with the hotel team, and thanked the staff for taking such great care of you! I am excited to learn that all our team members have made a difference in your stay and created such memorable and lasting moments with you.
Hopefully you will have an opportunity to return to Santa Monica soon and know that we cannot wait to welcome you back to your "own personal cottage near the beach" here at the Oceana.

Christoph Moje

Been to Oceana Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!