“Easy, Sunny Luxury and Convenience” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Oceana Beach Club Hotel to your Saves list
Booking.com amextravel.com
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   849 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly Hotel Oceana Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #13 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
New York City, New York
“Easy, Sunny Luxury and Convenience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this hotel was easy--getting a bellman, parking (valet or street), checking in, ordering food, swimming, sleeping comfortably. This small boutique hotel was well staffed with a hotel manager visibly present and everyone was on the ball without being over eager. Decor is fresh, extremely eclectic, in mostly ocean blues and greens. Linens and towels are high calibre (Frette, I think) Coffee table books and mags in room. Food was really fresh and well-prepared. I would be a regular at the restaurant if I liked there. Fell in love with the "Small Meatballs" plate. One surprise was that the coffee was mediocre--seems like a bit more thought could be put into it. But that is completely minor within our whole experience. The central pool was a great place for us to relax, eat, and catch up with our friends. We loved this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear FreqTravel77,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I am very humbled by the kind words you have shared with us about the quality of our hotel and more importantly about the overall service levels you received from each of our team members.

I am looking forward to your return visit to the Oceana and I will make sure to keep some of those meatballs aside for you to enjoy.

Again thank you for your feedback.

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to my stay on the beach. When I arrived to my room I was very disappointed. With the room being as expensive as it was I had very high expectations. The walls had mismatched paint from all the
patchwork. I will post pictures. The quality of the restaurant was absolutely amazing. They did have great service I just felt that for a room with that price level it would be much nicer with a better view.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear JQBarker,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent experience with us. I truly appreciate your feedback about the quality of the room itself and have taken steps to correct those issues with our Director of Engineering. For future stays I would probably recommend our Signature one bedroom suites that face our pool area or any of the ocean view suites that all feature magnificent views overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

I am glad you enjoyed the food and service in our new restaurant Tower 8. Our team is thrilled to hear those wonderful comments.

Once again I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you in the very near future again. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to set up your reservation.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Oceana. The staff is amazing and so thoughtful, and the rooms are lovely. We slept so comfortably, and were so appreciative when they upgraded us to a corner room with ocean views. The sheets are so comfortable! And the design is so fun and relaxing. We loved sitting out by the pool - the environment is really unique and well maintained. We also took a whiskey tasting class with the food and beverage manager, which was a blast! We rented bikes and rode around Santa Monica. The valet is really helpful in giving recommendations. They always remembered our names, which really is a great touch. Overall, I dream of this hotel all the time and long to go back. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you can, get an ocean view room!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear AnneT328,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.
I am extremely grateful for your heartfelt comments about the hotel and more importantly about our team members. It seemed like you had an all-around memorable experience at the Oceana and employees like Matt Swartz, our Food and Beverage Manager, truly made a difference in your stay.
We too look very much forward to welcoming you back to our home.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am in the area often on business and will go out of my way to stay here. You are always greeted at the front door by name and truly made to feel you are coming back home. The rooms are large, beautifully decorated and well appointed, and I love the way all the rooms face the beautiful pool area in the center. One of my colleagues calls it "Melrose Place." Wrapping up the day with cocktails by the fire pit, is a perfect ending to the day.

Room Tip: I personally do not like the ground level rooms on the street--even though they are consider ocean v...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear MystoryAtlanta_GA,

I am truly excited to learn that you call the Oceana your home when travelling out to the Santa Monica Area. The team strives every day to ensure that our guests fell welcomed and at home when joining us and to learn that we were able to do just that every time you return to us is wonderful.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the very near future to the Oceana and thank you again for your kind words.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Other reviewers have said it well; Oceana feels like home. I was only there for an evening, sadly, and spent a lot of that evening away from my new "home away from home". However, when I came back after dinner and saw my room ready for turn down, I was touched that the maid had folded the clothes I had scattered about, and had lined up the make up and shoes I had carelessly tossed about (getting ready for dinner that evening was a bit of a hurricane). Really nice touch, and made me feel well cared for.

I loved that the suite felt cozy and spacious at the same time, and I thought the decor was fabulous. While the colors and prints might not to be everyone's tastes, to me it's a welcome change from "same-old same-old" hotel syndrome. Curling up on the overstuffed couch with a book and a glass of wine was how a spent a few moments of the evening before heading out.

I didn't have a chance to visit the restaurant, so can't comment on that. The fitness center was small but well-equipped, and good for my purposes.

I will say that the staff are phenomenally friendly, and seem like each of them are really on top of their game. They were all interested in making our brief stay memorable, and were very pleasant to deal with.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear RunCatchKiss,

Rest assured I have shared your comments with the hotel team, and thanked the staff for taking such great care of you! I am excited to learn that all our team members have made a difference in your stay and created such memorable and lasting moments with you.
Hopefully you will have an opportunity to return to Santa Monica soon and know that we cannot wait to welcome you back to your "own personal cottage near the beach" here at the Oceana.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

First the good: The customer service at this hotel was the best I have ever had. Everyone that worked there from the valets, to the restaurant, to the front desk was so nice and friendly to my family. Everything was done with a smile and a friendly attitude. Whoever does their hiring should be commended because the staff their made the stay great. The food was exceptionally good. The location was great and it had a really nice feel being so small.

Now the bad: My understanding is this is a converted old apartment complex and the shabby construction is obvious. The inside of the rooms are great and decorated very nice, the problem is the bones of the building. The walls are very thin and if you aren't on the top floor you will hear the people walking around above you. You will also hear them flushing their toilets, running the water in the sinks and taking a shower. If you are in a room next to the elevator it will sound like someone is running a drill in the wall every time the elevator moves. I'm really not trying to be picky, it really is LOUD, we actually thought the gym was above our room.

Overall, if you can get a top floor room that isn't next to an elevator then this is a very nice hotel, with a great staff and very good food. But if you can't, then there are simply too many good hotels in Santa Monica to put up with a noisy room given the price point.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear whitedove4444,

While I realize your stay was less than perfect, I appreciate your time to share your feedback about your experience as I do understand how disappointed you must have been for not getting a restful sleep during your visit with us.
I am however grateful for your kind comments about our team members. We do strive to provide an atmosphere where our guests feel welcomed and relaxed and it is wonderful to hear that you experienced just that.
When you are ready to visit the Santa Monica area again, please feel free to contact me personally so I can assist in allocating a room for you.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Previously, I reviewed the Oceana as "home away from home." Home has been renovated, so it's now better than ever. The paint is fresh on the outside of the hotel, the restaurant has been updated, and the lobby has been reinvented. The new restaurant is excellent and the menu is superb. The interior of the hotel surrounding the hotel has never looked better. The lobby is not to my taste, it's a bit too fabulous, trying too hard to make an impression but some people will find that pleasing. The staff is still very cool, very real, and knows you by name. Sadly, the valet Captain Kurt is no longer with the hotel. He was a great guy and knew all the guests by name. I was sorry to see him go. The best thing about the Oceana are the rooms. They are huge, open and airy, with great views of the ocean on the ocean side and utilitarian kitchenettes in some of the rooms with less desirable views. I would not get a room next to the staff elevator, as it can be a bit noisy. Definitely ask to take one of the hotel's bikes for a spin. It's a great way to get around Santa Monica and is good for the soul. I go to the Oceana for work, and I find it to be a great oasis, a place to recharge after a difficult day. I can only imagine what a thrill it would be to go their on a pleasure trip.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth the extra money, the higher the floor the better, third floor is optimal...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear jojothedogfaceboy,

Thank you for taking time to review your most recent stay at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel. Any review that starts with "still home away from home....." is wonderful to read. In particular since we always strive to welcome our guests to our home to make each and every one of them feel welcomed and relaxed.
I am excited to learn that you truly enjoyed our remodel of the hotel and our new restaurant Tower 8 which has a menu created by renowned chef Josiah Citrin.
We can't wait for your return visit to our and your home away from home.

Christoph Moje

Been to Oceana Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!