“Service is best part” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oceana Beach Club Hotel

Booking.com Hotels.com
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   849 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly Hotel Oceana Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #13 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
texas
“Service is best part”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I read all of the other reviews before traveling so here are my thoughts with those in mind. I came for business and brought my wife to stay for the weekend.

COST: This hotel is pricey, but not for the area.

SERVICE:The service was EXCELLENT. The best service I have ever had at a hotel...ever. Staff friendly and go out of their way every time.

NOISE: I requested a high floor ocean side given the room we booked. We received ocean front on the second floor. The room was awesome and the best I have ever stayed in. I brought ear plugs given the other reviews on noise and I am used to quiet sleeping. The road noise disappeared in the evening.A couple of drinks and ear plugs and the sleep was awesome. There was a little creeking from the upper floor in the morning, but not too bad.

LOCATION: Of course it is not ON the beach. Do people who write bad reviews seriously not know what Google Maps is? Place is just like you see. A few blocks from 3rd Street Promenade and right across from the park. Awesome location, just a little walk...which I actually preferred. I would rather have the walk and less traffic.

HIDDEN COST: Not an issue since I know how to read and everything is disclosed. When I went to check out, they had not deducted for my food allowance in the room package I booked. It took about 2 seconds to correct this with NO problem.

I guess all in all, it depends on other hotel guests. I could see having extremely noisy neighbors and the stay being entirely different. Since this was not an issue, I have no complaints there. I will probably not return just due to the cost of staying in Santa Monica. But if I do, the Oceana will be it. The surfing class on Saturday was AWESOME!

Room Tip: Higher floor if noise is an issue. Ocean front if you have an ocean view room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Lots of good things to say about the Oceana:
Stylish decor, good bed, lots of nice touches - eg desk area, books, knick knacks etc
Rooms quite large
Good location - right opposite the beach, six blocks or so to downtown/Promenade
The suites are probably fantastic
Nice & helpful staff

However:
The resort fee is highway robbery. Why am I paying $25 a day extra for a pool?
Breakfast buffet is very very ordinary. Rubbery eggs and carbonised bacon. Avoid it and go to one of the excellent cafes on the Promenade.
It seems to be a converted motel or elderly apartment building. It's quite nicely done, but there are quirks, like some rooms requiring you to get up and down steps - a problem if you have luggage.

It's pretty good. But I don't think it's good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Meadow Creek
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Visited for five days with my daughter and enjoyed most everything. The staff were all attentive and friendly so no complaints about service. It was warm so the quiet pool was great. Would have been happier if there had been other breakfast options besides the 25 dollars buffet, or a coffee/ snack bar for light fare, but the lunch and suppers we had were excellent. I was not happy with the resort fee but just assumed it was a form of gratuity and took that into account when tipping. There is no reason for such a fee because there are not many activities available. For pure relaxation in a place near some beautiful places to walk and explore it was great. My only complaint was the thin walls which resulted in some poor sleeps depending on who was above us or next door. We used ear plugs and were fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and on top floor if possible.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I don't write a lot of reviews but I have to on this one! The first step into the hotel until the last step was horrible! Service was bad! They had keys that looked like they were from a motel and the bell staff was so rude and slow! I will never go back again

• Stayed November 2012
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We love everything about this hotel. A pool to sit by as kids swim or to snack next to outdoor open fire if its winter, great food, room service, well designed/great decor...not to mention super comfy beds with lots of pillows and a hotel room big enough for our 3 kids to sleep in on fold outs in the living room (with all of our suitcases!) and us to have our own private bedroom. Oceana is also walking distance to the pier, beach and santa monica shops - and an easy drive anytime of day to LAX if catching flights (no freeway jams as its all back roads to airport). The staff are lovely and its got such a relaxing vibe. This is not a kiddy-kiddy hotel as most people are adults which suits us fine but there are usually some families and we still always feel very welcome travelling with our children of 8, 11 and 13 years. Its perfect after the long 12-14 hour flight from Australia or as a stop over at the end of the holiday waiting for flight home.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was so excited when I planned a weekend stay for my friends and I at Oceana. We were celebrating a bachelorette party. Upon arrival valet greeted me but didn’t help us with luggage. As we get out of our car we are struggling to get all of our items and neither valet or bell decided to help. We barely made it into the lobby when I finally dropped my bags because they were so heavy it was so ridiculous that the men would not help us ladies. Our friends had checked in first and left a key for us at the desk. When we approached the girl at the desk she just looked as us not a smile nor a hello. I then proceeded to ask for the key that was left she looked around like she had no clue what I was talking about which was odd because our friend only checked in with her 15 minutes prior to our arrival. As it then dawned on her what I was referring to she then yelled out our room number and handed us the key without checking our ID to confirm that they key was meant for us. I thought that was very odd. I stay in hotels all over the world and have always been asked for Id when receiving a key for the room. After receiving the key we waited 10 more minutes in the middle of the lobby and finally the bellman realized that 2 girls with 10 bags equals bell assistance. Once in the room a server from the restaurant came to open a bottle of champagne that we had brought to help relax us. As she opens the bottle she spills our champagne all over the floor. What a nightmare. I couldn’t believe we had already been in the hotel for 30 minutes and was already ready to check out. The room was ok. It felt more like an old refurburshed apartment instead of a hotel room. After returning from our girls night out we went to our room and went to sleep only to be awakened an hour later by a screaming woman. Not sure what was going on. It did eventually stop. Before checking out I decided to have breakfast. The breakfast was ok definitely not worth the $25 plus tax that were charged. Money is not an issue for me but when you charge 350 plus 14% tax and then a resort fee. Resort fee?? Where’s the Resort?? When I asked about this they said because of the pool and some bikes they have.. Well the pool was too small and I didn’t need to use any bikes… I was so not impressed with this hotel. When I checkout I asked for my final bill and she gave it to me. A few hours later I noticed additional charges of 120 to my credit card. When I called they said it was breakfast and mini bar charges. I explained to the girl that I had paid for breakfast and we didn’t use the mini bar. I was supposed to receive an itemized receipt . Funny thing is it’s been 3 days and I still never received it.Be aware when staying here of the hidden and mysterious charges and the poor service. I was so not impressed with my stay at Oceana. So disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My partner and I stayed here at the end of a 5 week holiday across the States. As it was the end of our trip, we could do with as little stress as possible. The Oceana was the perfect choice for us. The staff were excellent and no request was a problem.

We ate at the restaurant and the food was great. We also had the pleasure of chatting with a couple that had been coming back to the Oceana for 5 years now.

Only down side for us as we didn't have a vehicle was the distance to the Promenade and Restaurants. The weather was perfect during our stay so the 15 min walk was nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Oceana Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!