“Lovely boutique stop-over after long flight” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oceana Beach Club Hotel

Save Saved
You added Oceana Beach Club Hotel to your Saves list
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   849 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly Hotel Oceana Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
sydney
“Lovely boutique stop-over after long flight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We love everything about this hotel. A pool to sit by as kids swim or to snack next to outdoor open fire if its winter, great food, room service, well designed/great decor...not to mention super comfy beds with lots of pillows and a hotel room big enough for our 3 kids to sleep in on fold outs in the living room (with all of our suitcases!) and us to have our own private bedroom. Oceana is also walking distance to the pier, beach and santa monica shops - and an easy drive anytime of day to LAX if catching flights (no freeway jams as its all back roads to airport). The staff are lovely and its got such a relaxing vibe. This is not a kiddy-kiddy hotel as most people are adults which suits us fine but there are usually some families and we still always feel very welcome travelling with our children of 8, 11 and 13 years. Its perfect after the long 12-14 hour flight from Australia or as a stop over at the end of the holiday waiting for flight home.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was so excited when I planned a weekend stay for my friends and I at Oceana. We were celebrating a bachelorette party. Upon arrival valet greeted me but didn’t help us with luggage. As we get out of our car we are struggling to get all of our items and neither valet or bell decided to help. We barely made it into the lobby when I finally dropped my bags because they were so heavy it was so ridiculous that the men would not help us ladies. Our friends had checked in first and left a key for us at the desk. When we approached the girl at the desk she just looked as us not a smile nor a hello. I then proceeded to ask for the key that was left she looked around like she had no clue what I was talking about which was odd because our friend only checked in with her 15 minutes prior to our arrival. As it then dawned on her what I was referring to she then yelled out our room number and handed us the key without checking our ID to confirm that they key was meant for us. I thought that was very odd. I stay in hotels all over the world and have always been asked for Id when receiving a key for the room. After receiving the key we waited 10 more minutes in the middle of the lobby and finally the bellman realized that 2 girls with 10 bags equals bell assistance. Once in the room a server from the restaurant came to open a bottle of champagne that we had brought to help relax us. As she opens the bottle she spills our champagne all over the floor. What a nightmare. I couldn’t believe we had already been in the hotel for 30 minutes and was already ready to check out. The room was ok. It felt more like an old refurburshed apartment instead of a hotel room. After returning from our girls night out we went to our room and went to sleep only to be awakened an hour later by a screaming woman. Not sure what was going on. It did eventually stop. Before checking out I decided to have breakfast. The breakfast was ok definitely not worth the $25 plus tax that were charged. Money is not an issue for me but when you charge 350 plus 14% tax and then a resort fee. Resort fee?? Where’s the Resort?? When I asked about this they said because of the pool and some bikes they have.. Well the pool was too small and I didn’t need to use any bikes… I was so not impressed with this hotel. When I checkout I asked for my final bill and she gave it to me. A few hours later I noticed additional charges of 120 to my credit card. When I called they said it was breakfast and mini bar charges. I explained to the girl that I had paid for breakfast and we didn’t use the mini bar. I was supposed to receive an itemized receipt . Funny thing is it’s been 3 days and I still never received it.Be aware when staying here of the hidden and mysterious charges and the poor service. I was so not impressed with my stay at Oceana. So disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My partner and I stayed here at the end of a 5 week holiday across the States. As it was the end of our trip, we could do with as little stress as possible. The Oceana was the perfect choice for us. The staff were excellent and no request was a problem.

We ate at the restaurant and the food was great. We also had the pleasure of chatting with a couple that had been coming back to the Oceana for 5 years now.

Only down side for us as we didn't have a vehicle was the distance to the Promenade and Restaurants. The weather was perfect during our stay so the 15 min walk was nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Calabasas, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

As soon as I drove up the Oceana, I felt like I was going to be treated like royalty, but I was sadly mistaken once I entered the front desk. When I checked in the staff all greeted me with my last name, while during check in they never once asked for my photo id, they just simply asked for my credit card.  I stood there with my luggage in hand and they stated that my room would be ready in 10 minutes. I decided to wait for the room and go look at the hideaway restaurant. When I got into the restaurant, I was not greeted for about 10 minutes until finally a gentleman came and asked if I needed assistance. I asked to see a menu, he handed it to me and turned away to answer the phone and have a long conversation with the person on the phone, I decided that it was not worth the wait any longer and walked away. Finally when I was walked to my room, the bellman had to open my room and make my key by using a wrench, to me this was odd! Why would you need to use a wrench to open the door? I asked the bellman if this was because the door was broken and he kindly said no this is how we make keys! While I was unwinding I had found out that a couple items from mini bar was missing, So I called down and let the front desk know…. They said I would not be charged for it! However, at the end of the stay I still got charged 65 dollars for mini bar items! They also charge for a toothbrush and shave kit! When the other guests arrived, they had to bring their own baggage in and finally after waiting ten minutes for a bellman finally got service! The front desk yet again did not check id for my friends when they arrived and shouted the room number in the lobby so that everyone could hear! Finally, after all this we were ready to enjoy our vacation! We asked for 4 glasses for our champagne, once the server came in with the wine glasses she said she would open the bottle for us, but instead she made the champagne go everywhere! She asked if we had shaken it and blamed it on US! She did state that we can have a glass of champagne at the hideaway but we did not want to since I had gotten such bad service just walking in. In the middle of the night I was rudely woken up by two guests (I assume) swimming and making noise in the pool! I THOUGHT THE POOL WAS CLOSED AT 2 IN THE MORNING! Finally I started drifting back to sleep when again a woman was screaming outside her door! When I left the hotel finally at 5 am no one was in the lobby and had to press the button to get a staff member to ask for my car. He said he was taking a nap and he was sorry! I had also stated that I did not get much sleep because of the other guests making loud noises in the middle of the night; he seemed more interested in his nap than why I was so upset. After waiting about 15 minutes for my car to be brought around I was finally out of the hotel and on my way home. When i finally got my bill emailed to me i saw there was m&m on my bill which i told the girl when i called i never ate! She never tookit off and i had to eat the cost of something i never consumed! For someone spending what I spent at the hotel for a stay cation, I do have to stay I will never go back to this property AGAIN! So if you are reading this please take my advice and do the same! Stay far away!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I travel quite a bit and have spent quite a bit of time in LA, the Oceana beats out any hotel I've ever stayed in. From the wonderful smell of eucalyptus in the elevators, to the incredibly friendly staff (they greet you by name), to the beautifully appointed rooms -- you just can't beat it. Go. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, the Oceana Signature Suites are breathtaking. I stayed there the first night I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My sister and I stayed for two days at the Oceana. Our two rooms were very spaious and nicely furnished. The hotel is a converted apartment house, and the owners have introduced some elegant touches. (One prior review was quite critical, and I do not agree with the criticisms).

The restaurant was excellent - breakfast buffet was superb, with lots of choices. We had dinner once and lunch once, and both were faultless.

The staff is first rate - young ladies at reception and dining room staff could not do more for you. The valet attendants were always there and produced our car in seconds.

Room Tip: If you want to overlook the pool, ask for an inside room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, England, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is the second year we have chosen to stay at Oceana. We ended our five week holiday with 3 nights here, and its a relaxing and great way to do it.

Still has the same great charm, the massive and comfortable rooms, the cute pool, great food - and amazing cocktails!

We even ran into some other repeat guests who were staying last time we were there. It's like family!

Room Tip: Families with heavy strollers, please note that elevators do not reach all floors and you may need t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oceana Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!